Gaining one pound

Options
So yesterday I ate alotttt of food. About 2400 calories. I normally eat about 1200 everyday so for me it's alot. I was thinking about how much I probably gained from one day and realized it takes 3500 calories over my maitenance , which is 1640, to gain one pound. I only ate 700 over maintenance so that's about 0.2 pounds. That just seems so crazy to me! I get soo freaked out when I have huge day like that , but really 0.2 pounds is nothing!

So my question is , does alll that make sense? Am I freaking out over nothing?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Ya, you are. It's less than ONE pound, don't stress about it!!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't freak out. It's what you do most days, not one day, that counts.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good understanding--- and that scale movement may NOT really be a good indicator of how we're doing. Because the increased sodium can make it look like a 3 lb. gain --- when you're just holding onto fluid/fiber for a time period after consuming a higher than normal amount of food!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    And you never know. Sometimes a crazy day like that can help you lose even more. Our bodies are very good at adapting, sometimes too good. If you're eating the same amount of calories every day for weeks on end, the body may just get better at using those calories, and weight loss can slow.

I'm glad you have a good attitude about it. This is a lifestyle. And in life, you're going to have days like this. It's about perspective and picking yourself back up and moving on.
  • mrfrank33
    mrfrank33 Posts: 8
    Options
    I read an article yesterday that said one cheat day a week is necessary to keep your metabolism fired up. So don't stress it. If you ate alot of salty products then you should drink lots of water to flush it out. But I truly doubt one big meal will move the scale at all. Don't stress anything at all
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    Yay! Thank you everyone! Now I understand why some people have such a hard time gaining.