Ice cream

Options
I eat a bowl of ice cream right before I go to bed is that gonna cause me weight gain

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    No
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Nope, I have dessert 7 days a week. I just make sure it fits in my calorie goal.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many calories you eat all day. If the 200-400 is within your allowance, you're fine. If it's over, then you'll gain weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Only if it takes you over your maintenance calories. The fact that it is ice cream, and the fact that it is eaten right before bed, is irrelevant.
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the amount of exercise too. Are you going to sleep, read, watch tv, or other?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well, can you have some normal serving or are you gonna eat half the carton and maybe more? If you can't resist the urge to eat massive amounts of the stuff just say NO.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Depends on the ice cream, serving size, your calorie deficit otherwise, the type of spoon you eat it with (ok maybe not this one...) It's like asking 'how long is this piece of string?' We don't have enough info to answer.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You'll gain as much as the ice cream weighs when you eat it. All of that weight and more will be gone by the time you wake up, unless it is a very large bowl.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    How big is the bowl?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't specifically gain weight by eating a particular food, or by eating close to going to sleep.

You gain weight if you eat too many calories. So if that bowl of ice cream every night puts you over your maintenance calories for the week, yes you will gain weight over time. But if you are still in a deficit, then no you won't gain weight.

Your body still burns calories while you sleep. It burns them all the time :drinker:
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Not unless it's over your caloric limit.
  • diezel67
    diezel67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different so find out for yourself...I know I can not have ice cream and milk the way I use to. Good luck!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Long-term no as long as it's within your calorie goals for the day.
  • mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It depends on what time you go to bed.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    mgibbons22 wrote: »
    It depends on what time you go to bed.

Why?
  • mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows the later you eat, the more the calories stick around. Duh.
  • pinuplove
    Options

:noway: I hope you're not serious
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Well sure, more of them stick around until the next morning because you are burning as many calories while sleeping, but they disappear quickly once you get up.