Raw Food Diet??

Rajions
Rajions Posts: 128 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone ever tried the raw food diet? Is it successful for weight loss? I know it's probably not recommended for a long term lifestyle, but maybe I can try it for a week or two.

Replies

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    After the whole Ashton Kutcher debacle, I'm surprised anyone still thinks this is a good idea.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    A long, long time ago in a faraway land I was training for a 20K race and because it was peach season in Western NY where I lived I thought it would be a good idea to sugar load with an intense diet of peaches for the days leading up to the race. Needless to say, with my digestive tract in major disarray I was doubled over with severe cramps for the majority of the race. Lesson learned, fruit diet for any reason not a particularly good idea...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited April 2017
    After the whole Ashton Kutcher debacle, I'm surprised anyone still thinks this is a good idea.

What did I miss?!

dmkoenig wrote: »
    A long, long time ago in a faraway land I was training for a 20K race and because it was peach season in Western NY where I lived I thought it would be a good idea to sugar load with an intense diet of peaches for the days leading up to the race. Needless to say, with my digestive tract in major disarray I was doubled over with severe cramps for the majority of the race. Lesson learned, fruit diet for any reason not a particularly good idea...

I can't lie, I'm chuckling.

I really only eat fruit in summer when all the best ones are in season. I can't imagine living off that only though. No protein and fat would make for a very sad and explosively poopy Feline.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

What did I miss?!

I really only eat fruit in summer when all the best ones are in season. I can't imagine living off that only though. No protein and fat would make for a very sad and explosively poopy Feline.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2013/02/07/ashton-kutchers-fruitarian-diet-what-went-wrong
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member

What did I miss?!

It was all over the news a while back-while Kutcher was preparing to play Steve Jobs in a movie, he adopted Jobs Fruitarian diet (Jobs died of pancreatic cancer....), and Kutcher ended up in the hospital
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2013/02/07/ashton-kutchers-fruitarian-diet-what-went-wrong
  • Rajions
    How do you think this would benefit you?

I think for many people, this would result in a lot of hunger and probably some completely temporary water weight loss that would come back on as soon as the week was over.

As opposed to just eating a diet made up of multiple foods (that help you meet your needs for protein and fat), I'm not sure what the benefit of this would be?

I've just been hearing about this raw food diet and it seemed so simple to lose weight. I'm trying to lose 90 pounds.
  • Rajions
    sijomial wrote: »
    Doing something silly for a week or two is still doing something silly.

Thanks for the input.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Rajions wrote: »

I think for many people, this would result in a lot of hunger and probably some completely temporary water weight loss that would come back on as soon as the week was over.

As opposed to just eating a diet made up of multiple foods (that help you meet your needs for protein and fat), I'm not sure what the benefit of this would be?

I've just been hearing about this raw food diet and it seemed so simple to lose weight. I'm trying to lose 90 pounds.

not to mention if you just eat fruit you wont get enough protein and healthy fats. a calorie deficit is whats needed for weight loss, not just eating fruit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

A raw food diet would be kind of different though -- it would include vegetables, nuts, and seeds (and probably things like sprouted grains). It's hard to meet your nutritional needs on fruit. It's still challenging on a raw diet, but eating only fruit makes it much harder.

I will say, IMO, it's much easier to maintain weight loss if you practice "real life" eating while you're on a deficit. While it's possible to have success doing one thing to lose weight and doing something completely different to maintain, it's much easier if you figure out things like portion sizing, what foods fill you up well, and what macro distribution makes you feel your best *while* you're losing weight.

That way you already know how to maintain when you're finished, you can just switch to having more calories. Even if you did successfully lose fat eating only fruit, is that how you would want to eat for the rest of your life? It doesn't help you figure out how to maintain your weight loss and that's the really crucial part.
  • Rajions

not to mention if you just eat fruit you wont get enough protein and healthy fats. a calorie deficit is whats needed for weight loss, not just eating fruit.

What I meant was like a raw food diet, so I could possibly get my protein from nuts or something. It was just a thought. I don't think I could commit to it anyways.
  • Rajions

A raw food diet would be kind of different though -- it would include vegetables, nuts, and seeds (and probably things like sprouted grains). It's hard to meet your nutritional needs on fruit. It's still challenging on a raw diet, but eating only fruit makes it much harder.

I will say, IMO, it's much easier to maintain weight loss if you practice "real life" eating while you're on a deficit. While it's possible to have success doing one thing to lose weight and doing something completely different to maintain, it's much easier if you figure out things like portion sizing, what foods fill you up well, and what macro distribution makes you feel your best *while* you're losing weight.

That way you already know how to maintain when you're finished, you can just switch to having more calories. Even if you did successfully lose fat eating only fruit, is that how you would want to eat for the rest of your life? It doesn't help you figure out how to maintain your weight loss and that's the really crucial part.

That's what I meant. A raw food diet. And I wouldn't commit to it for a long term lifestyle. It was a thought just for a week or two. Kinda like a cleanse.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    edited April 2017
    I did a fruitarian diet as promoted by dr. Graham ( who turns out to have a PHD as a chiropractor.) I was 19 at the time and totally bought into the whole "unlimited calorie" sell. I can't speak for anyone else but it affected my teeth, my weight and my psychological health. I was always hungry. I don't think raw food diets are healthy. Recently, I follow the of advice from dr. Neal Barnard, dr. T Colin Campbell and chef af. Those diets have got me to lose weight and fixed skin and stomach issues that I had previously ( once a month during my period my stomach still acts up but it way better than everyday) but I obviously can only speak for me
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Two weeks of diarrhea with no protein or fat intake? Sounds miserable and unhealthy. Perhaps reconsider your goals and how to get there in a healthy, sustainable manner.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

With 90lbs to lose you need to find a way to eat at a calorie deficit for the long haul while still getting good nutrition - two weeks just eating fruit (the original title of the thread before you amended it) or two weeks eating raw food is an irrelevance.

Best of luck but I really don't think gimmicky diets are the way to go.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    No. "A week or two" is about how long the "weight loss" will last. Plug in your stats, buy a food scale and start logging!