The flavors of Easter Weekend.

Options
I've lost about 5 more pounds in the last few weeks, and am extremely happy to have been 148lbs the last 4 days. That much closer to 135lb!! Its the first time this year I have seen 148 more than one day.

But here we are, Easter weekend. The Spring Thanksgiving. Now turned into a 3day event. Not to mention, i'm pms'ing, and craving all sorts of foods...

Today we are having a potluck at lunch. There is a pepperoni tray, buffalo chicken dip, taco dip, deviled eggs, and they just ordered 2 extra large pizzas.. Pizza is my weakness. I think I can behave and just aim for one slice of pizza, and one or two deviled eggs, but the struggle is real. I use to eat about 3 slices in one sitting. I still feel like i could. I drink lots of water all day, so I will have probably 24oz of water in me right before lunch.

Tomorrow we are having Easter dinner with my SO's family.. They go all out, thanksgiving style since its a big family. I may try having a 20:4 IF day tomorrow, but that will take some serious willpower..

Sunday is Easter dinner with my family, ham, mac&cheese, broccoli casserole, all the good stuff. Now my mom is probably my favorite cook ever, so not overeating there just sounds impossible. I can definitely turn that into a 20:4 day though because "dinner" is at 2pm. but i could probably eat my calorie limit of mac & cheese in 10 minutes.

I want to enjoy the foods, the flavors, the large portions, but I also am happy that I am down 10lbs this year, and feeling a little better about how I look.

Why easter, why.

Anyone else struggling with the holiday foods?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    We celebrate Easter, but it's not really anything like Thanksgiving and it's never been a multi day event...and really, it's more about the kids running around trying to find eggs, etc. We're going to my mom's and I think she is grilling a prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin, roasted potatoes, and asparagus...

At any rate, even if it was a crazy weekend of celebration I wouldn't sweat it...occasions aren't particularly relevant to the bigger picture...what you're doing most of the time matters far more.

ETA: it's my wife's birthday Saturday so we're dropping the kids off with my mom and leaving our vehicle...we're taking a long cycling route home for a date ride (about 30 miles) before her birthday dinner...we'll ride back to my mom's Sunday morning for Easter...shorter route, about 15 miles.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have convinced my son to do a 4 mile loop with me tomorrow, so that should help with any overage of calories. We are keeping it fairly simple this year. Hard boiled eggs, kielbasa and yeast bread for breakfast. Ham and sweet potatoes for Easter dinner. I think my Mom is making cheese cake though. Remember the holidays are about being with the people you care about.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Agreed that the 3-day feasting seems odd.

I'm fasting today. Tomorrow will be somewhat subdued, although we will have ice cream after the Easter Vigil.

Sunday all bets are off, and I'm thinking I'm going to shoot for maintenance (at best!) for next week during the Easter octave.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Agreed that the 3-day feasting seems odd..

Trust me, I was under the assumption we were going to my parents sunday at lunch, then to his parents for easter dinner that night.

Nope, they decided to split the days. Then, out of no where my work decides to do a potluck for the first time all year.

All hit at once!!!
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    We celebrate Easter, but it's not really anything like Thanksgiving and it's never been a multi day event...and really, it's more about the kids running around trying to find eggs, etc. We're going to my mom's and I think she is grilling a prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin, roasted potatoes, and asparagus...

At any rate, even if it was a crazy weekend of celebration I wouldn't sweat it...occasions aren't particularly relevant to the bigger picture...what you're doing most of the time matters far more.

ETA: it's my wife's birthday Saturday so we're dropping the kids off with my mom and leaving our vehicle...we're taking a long cycling route home for a date ride (about 30 miles) before her birthday dinner...we'll ride back to my mom's Sunday morning for Easter...shorter route, about 15 miles.

Cycling sounds fun! Most I have ever done was 8 miles, cant imagine 30! That pork tenderloin sounds AMAZING. I could also eat my body weight in asparagus.

I am trying to tell myself it will be okay and wont be terrible, i am just scared to see the scale creep back up to 150, ever again.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »

Trust me, I was under the assumption we were going to my parents sunday at lunch, then to his parents for easter dinner that night.

Nope, they decided to split the days. Then, out of no where my work decides to do a potluck for the first time all year.

All hit at once!!!

Yes, I suppose I can see how that would work. Frustrating, for sure. If it were me, I'd skip the work potluck. But I'm a curmudgeon anyway and no one expects any better of me! ;)

• kenzienal
    Options

All hit at once!!!

Yes, I suppose I can see how that would work. Frustrating, for sure. If it were me, I'd skip the work potluck. But I'm a curmudgeon anyway and no one expects any better of me! ;)

I had to set it up, so if I skipped, I would never hear the end of it lol. My healthier type options of lunch were shot down instantly, quickly to be replaced with Pizza lol
  • jrae
    jrae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was stressing a bit about easter dinner cause I won't be cooking this year and didn't think I'd have much for lower cal choices. I asked my mom to make baked Brussels sprouts and beets which I love. I prelogged my dinner(I usually pre log my food a week at a time anyways). Ham, tons of baked veg and I'm skipping the calorie bomb sides and dessert. I'm super close to my goal weight so I didn't want to go too crazy. I'll still fully enjoy my dinner and get to spend time with my kids and family.

Maybe have a bunch of raw veg to fill up on volume but not cals before work lunch so one piece of pizza will be easier to stick to? Same as dinner, I like to munch on red pepper strips, carrot sticks and raw zuccini to fill my belly so it's easier to eat smaller amounts of the foods I have a hard time saying no to.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I want in moderation. If you have time to take a walk or do some exercise should help offset a small bit. I am working out today and tomorrow and will enjoy eating what I want in moderation over the weekend.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I am definitely growing to resent how FOOD CENTERED all events in my life are.
    I just plan ahead, we only have one Easter event because it's just not a big deal to my non religious family with grown children and my husbands family is the same but my MIL does have us over for lunch. I'm just eating my usual food before we leave and will slyly help out without consuming anything. I'm just too early in my new goals to deviate.
  • kenzienal
    Options
    Well I almost had it worked out, then bombed. One of the other fitness guys brought a big thing of grilled chicken. I tried to fill up on that. Had some chicken that had taco seasoning on a little bit of chopped lettuce. Doing good. Logged all that. Since I do 16:8 I still had some room for half a slice of meat lovers. Didn't even taste good but still under 500 calories... felt like I was winning, wasn't hungry.

Then boom, randomly I realize I'm shoving and entire slice of pepperoni pizza in my face. Ugh! Luckily it's a few hours later, I just completed my 30mins of HIIT style workout and am drinking lots of water. I'm thinking a small (if any, not much of an appetite left) dinner will make up for my piggyness.

Think 20:4 is going to get me through the rest of the weekend.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Easter just means a bit of a nicer dinner than normal (ham, scalloped potatoes, veggies) but nothing over-the-top. We haven't had a huge get-together since my aunt passed away fifteen years ago.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I want my weight loss to be long term- for life. I have found in the past that if I have tried to stick to a diet during holidays where there is lots of food i have ended up feeling deprived...and ended up binge eating anyway. So this year when i have had family birthday parties, special events or holidays like Easter i have let myself indulge and really enjoyed it. I have simply continued eating in a calorie deficit the next day and still continued to lose weight. It took me a while to gain weight, it will take me a while to lose. A holiday like Easter might set my weight loss back a few days...what is the rush???
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat at maintenance a couple of days. Take reasonable portions. Eat lighter the rest of the day. Get some exercise. Get back to normal after the weekend.

Easter is one meal for me and not a huge feast.
  • kenzienal
    Options
    Both Saturday night and Sunday afternoon I only had one small serving of each item. Usually I am the type to go back two or three times, but one plate filled me up to the point it hurt. (Think I had a bit of a stomach bug which can be credited to the hurt).

The foods were SO good, and I was proud of myself for staying away from ALL sweets and desserts.

I jumped back up to 151lbs today, but hopefully a week of good eating and exercise will drop that back down.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Kids are all gone so I didn't any candy around and because they couldn't come for dinner it was only what we needed. I did feel the need to finish off the lamb shanks but other than that I held it together. At a potluck or other event sometimes I just go ahead and risk insulting someone by not eating everything at the table, especially the desert.
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ... I can definitely turn that into a 20:4 day though because "dinner" is at 2pm...
    Is "IF" indulge/fast? That seems like a great way to deal with holidays and family gatherings. It might be helpful to have a recovery period attached to the backside of that (although not as long as the original fast period. I also really liked what someone else suggested about biking to family events. My wife's family all live fairly close, so I like to walk when we're going to/from dinner at their places. I know you I'm a day late and a dollar short, but it also might help to plan on a take home plate. You can stack it up with as much of the yummiest food you want. When you get home you can have just a taste of things, or shovel it all into the trash. You won't hurt anyone's feelings because you've tried their holiday offerings, mentally you'll have indulged yourself, and you'll give yourself some time to think about how much you actually want that stuff.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    strebor337 wrote: »
    ... I can definitely turn that into a 20:4 day though because "dinner" is at 2pm...
    Is "IF" indulge/fast? That seems like a great way to deal with holidays and family gatherings. It might be helpful to have a recovery period attached to the backside of that (although not as long as the original fast period. I also really liked what someone else suggested about biking to family events. My wife's family all live fairly close, so I like to walk when we're going to/from dinner at their places. I know you I'm a day late and a dollar short, but it also might help to plan on a take home plate. You can stack it up with as much of the yummiest food you want. When you get home you can have just a taste of things, or shovel it all into the trash. You won't hurt anyone's feelings because you've tried their holiday offerings, mentally you'll have indulged yourself, and you'll give yourself some time to think about how much you actually want that stuff.

IF is Intermittent fasting.
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Got it. Not quite the same connotation as indulging.