coconut oil fat loss or gain

Options
Hello,
Want to know is it good/bad to add coconut oil to the diary . Though coconut oil have fat (both sat and unsat) have been suggested it helps in breaking the fat accumulated in body more quickly .
1Tablespoon in morning black coffee
1tablespoon in evening with water .

Replies

• goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It seems to be a 'good' fat (whether saturated or unsaturated) BUT it still has plenty of calories, so make sure you count it. I'd prefer to use it in my food. It tastes good with veg.

(If there was a delicious oil that magically burnt fat... we would all be eating it and getting slim quickly... major companies and possibly even governments would be rushing to take control of stocks.)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It makes a good stir fry, at the end of the day it is just fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are ok with burning 240 calories on oils, then go for it. The but bold couldn't be more true.

ladyreva78 wrote: »
    If it puts you over your maintenance calories, you will gain weight.
    If it puts you at your maintenance calories, you will maintain weight.
    If it puts you under your maintenance calories, you will lose weight.

It is not a magical elixir that will magically make fat disappear. You still have to keep a calorie deficit for that.

But if you like the taste, go ahead, just make sure to account for it in your calories (1 tablespoon can easily be 100 cals depending on how high you heap it, so better weigh it than spoon it.).

Personally, I couldn't stomach that stuff :s , it irritated my digestion and did nothing for weight loss.

• SashaQ1381
    SashaQ1381 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    If it puts you over your maintenance calories, you will gain weight.
    If it puts you at your maintenance calories, you will maintain weight.
    If it puts you under your maintenance calories, you will lose weight.

This!

This was the most difficult (yet so straight-forward) piece of information for me to understand. I have seen someone lose weight at work without hitting the gym but by just eating pizza and this is their mantra.
  • gday117
    gday117 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is the world’s most weight loss friendly fat.

Below is an extract, from an article about coconut oil

It contains a unique combination of fatty acids with powerful effects on metabolism.

Several studies show that just by adding coconut oil to your diet, you can lose fat, especially the “dangerous” fat in the abdominal cavity.

This article explains how coconut oil can help you lose weight and belly fat.

Coconut Oil is High in Medium Chain Triglycerides, Fatty Acids That Boost Metabolism

Coconut oil is vastly different from most other fats in the diet.

Whereas most foods contain predominantly long-chain fatty acids, coconut oil consists almost entirely of Medium Chain Fatty Acids (1).

The thing with these medium chain fatty acids, is that they are metabolized differently than the longer chain fats.

They are sent straight to the liver from the digestive tract, where they are either used for energy right away or turned into ketone bodies.

These fats are often used by epileptic patients on a ketogenic diet, in order to increase ketone levels while allowing for a bit more carbs in the diet (2).

There is also some evidence from animal studies that medium chain fats are stored less efficiently than other fats.

In one study, rats were overfed with either long chain or medium chain fats. The rats fed the medium chain fats gained 20% less weight and 23% less body fat (3).

Very interesting stuff, read the full article here:
    https://authoritynutrition.com/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't believe anything I read in authority nutrition.

If someone wants to try logging for a month at maintenance and then logging for another month with the same calories and activity but adding a TBSP of coconut oil I'd be interested to see if they lose, though.

Better article on coconut oil: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Another piece worth reading, since some may not realize that there are distinctions that matter between different types of coconut oil: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/ask-well-is-coconut-oil-a-healthy-fat/
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    A little off topic but I like a bit of coconut oil in coffee when I'm having a brain fog moment,seems to perk me up a bit so maybe it helps stimulate circulation or something, it never fills me up though the way "they" say its supposed to
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    gday117 wrote: »
    Coconut oil is the world’s most weight loss friendly fat.

Below is an extract, from an article about coconut oil

It contains a unique combination of fatty acids with powerful effects on metabolism.

Several studies show that just by adding coconut oil to your diet, you can lose fat, especially the “dangerous” fat in the abdominal cavity.

This article explains how coconut oil can help you lose weight and belly fat.

Coconut Oil is High in Medium Chain Triglycerides, Fatty Acids That Boost Metabolism

Coconut oil is vastly different from most other fats in the diet.

Whereas most foods contain predominantly long-chain fatty acids, coconut oil consists almost entirely of Medium Chain Fatty Acids (1).

The thing with these medium chain fatty acids, is that they are metabolized differently than the longer chain fats.

They are sent straight to the liver from the digestive tract, where they are either used for energy right away or turned into ketone bodies.

These fats are often used by epileptic patients on a ketogenic diet, in order to increase ketone levels while allowing for a bit more carbs in the diet (2).

There is also some evidence from animal studies that medium chain fats are stored less efficiently than other fats.

In one study, rats were overfed with either long chain or medium chain fats. The rats fed the medium chain fats gained 20% less weight and 23% less body fat (3).

Very interesting stuff, read the full article here:
    https://authoritynutrition.com/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/
    Authority nutrition isn't an authority in nutrition, sorry.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil for making eggs in the morning. Let's be honest though, it's a fad, for some reason some people are convinced it's good for weight loss, it's not. For those who have high cholesterol, it's an oil to stay away from.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe anything I read in authority nutrition.

If someone wants to try logging for a month at maintenance and then logging for another month with the same calories and activity but adding a TBSP of coconut oil I'd be interested to see if they lose, though.

Better article on coconut oil: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Another piece worth reading, since some may not realize that there are distinctions that matter between different types of coconut oil: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/ask-well-is-coconut-oil-a-healthy-fat/

I've been eating keto for a year for a Neurological disorder. The 1st several months I ate coconut oil every day as part of my 1500 maintenance calories. October-February, I had 3 Tb of MCT Oil (C8 coconut oil) daily. Weight maintenance was my goal but I certainly didn't lose. Also no magical body fat loss. Would have been a nice side benefit but, no.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I eat a quite a bit of fat, more of a dairy person myself, and lose easily. If coconut oil keep you satisfied and within your calorie budget then you will lose eating it. There are no magic fat burning foods.