How bad is it to eat under your calories? (1,200)

Options
I don't plan to make a habit of this, but my goal is 1,200 calories a day. I've burnt 338 and eaten 1063 today and am simply really just not hungry. Is it bad to not eat more?

Replies

• KittyPandaBunny
    KittyPandaBunny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Like @malibu927 said. It depends on your thinking. Would you think it bad to go over your 1200 calories? If so you may have a unhealthy relationship with food. Otherwise, a single day of under-eating isn't a big thing, just like a single day of going over isn't the end of the world.

I'm normally quite a hungry person so I usually eat over my calories then burn them off :)
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    TBH, I wouldn't even let it happen for one day because it sets a precedent. You've essentially put not even 800cals into your body for it to carry out every bodily function you have. And tomorrow when you eat you're only going to give it 1200 cals so it can't even recoup anything because all of that will go on the same everyday body maintenance like today. It's a terrible cycle to get into.

Also, lack of hunger can also indicate issues with your metabolism if you're not careful. Just try to eat a bit more, even if you aren't hungry. If your cals are 1200 then you must eat at least 1200, for the sake of making your body work.
  • KittyPandaBunny
    KittyPandaBunny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    TBH, I wouldn't even let it happen for one day because it sets a precedent. You've essentially put not even 800cals into your body for it to carry out every bodily function you have. And tomorrow when you eat you're only going to give it 1200 cals so it can't even recoup anything because all of that will go on the same everyday body maintenance like today. It's a terrible cycle to get into.

Also, lack of hunger can also indicate issues with your metabolism if you're not careful. Just try to eat a bit more, even if you aren't hungry. If your cals are 1200 then you must eat at least 1200, for the sake of making your body work.
    could I not just eat them back later on in the week when I am more hungry? I should add I do currently have tonsillitis so that may be why my appetite is lower than usual.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

could I not just eat them back later on in the week when I am more hungry? I should add I do currently have tonsillitis so that may be why my appetite is lower than usual.

Yes, it's fine to eat them tomorrow if you're hungrier. Many people follow a weekly calorie goal rather than a daily one so they can save calories up for nights out, events, holidays, etc.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I think you would be fine to just eat a bit more tomorrow if you are concerned. A lot of people average their calories over the week. Just don't make a habit of eating too low.
    7268894 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The long term effect of caloric restriction, simplifying this terribly, will result in reduced metabolic expenditure. Put another way, you metabolism will slow down.
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    7268894 wrote: »
    The long term effect of caloric restriction, simplifying this terribly, will result in reduced metabolic expenditure. Put another way, you metabolism will slow down.

If you starve your body, it will consume lean muscle (which burns calories) to feed your vital organs. Reducing lean muscle mass effectively reduces your metabolic expenditure.

Slow and steady weight loss is ideal which is why MFP recommend no more than 2 pounds per week.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    For one day, no. Continuously, yes.

This is the correct answer.

Going low one day, or even 2 a week, causes no harm, as long as one is reaching ones weekly goals.

There are lots of people who do an IF regime that consists of a couple of days during the week eating low cal and the rest higher. As long as one is eating to a reasonable weekly goal there is no problem.

Cheers, h.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For a day? No you are ok. If you aren't hungry and normally eat enough every other day then you are fine. Personally I have to force myself to eat to get up to 1000 calories everyday because I am never hungry.. just don't get into a habit of it is what I'm saying.
  • josh_is_fit
    josh_is_fit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Add me for diet tips whether weight loss or muscle building workout advice and motivation
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've had days like that, and I just eat those calories the next day (in addition to that day's calories). :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to make a habit of this, but my goal is 1,200 calories a day. I've burnt 338 and eaten 1063 today and am simply really just not hungry. Is it bad to not eat more?

1063 - 338 = 725

This is bad if it happens on a regular basis. MFP gave you 1200 before exercise. So ideally you eat 1200+338. But calorie burns are guesstimates so many people eat a % back.

If you are struggling regularly look at incorporating more calorie dense foods (small portions, big nutrition).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

If you are sick, I think all bets are pretty much off. Eat what you can, focus on feeling better. If you are worried, maybe a nice smoothie or cup of broth would feel nice on your sore throat and add a few calories to aid your body in fighting the illness. Otherwise, accept that occasional bugs will happen and get back to your plan when you are feeling better.