Big guys who is still kind of athletic. I HAVE A NEW GOAL.

Options
I have lost 86.8 lbs so far last time I weighed in I was at 328.2. Just recently (last 3 weeks) started going to the gym and I have found out a lot about myself. I have now set a personal side goal to be able to do pull ups. I am not talking about repping like 10-12 at a time. I need to lose more weight for that but as of now I can hold myself on the bar and barely start to pull up but I want to be able to get like 3-4 reps In and I think this is a great goal to work towards. Any thoughts on this or any small personal fitness goals you are working towards?

Replies

• daves05
    daves05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That sounds great. Setting goals for myself is what keeps me motivated and that feeling you get when you reach those goals is is even more motivating.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    It will take time, but it's doable. It's all about building strength, technique and repetition.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all the success you've had. You got a great attitude and mental what pattern as far as the pull ups. It may take time but nothing is impossible.

Let me give you some hope. Me double hip replacement arthritic knee and shoulder that both need to be replaced. Lost 80 pounds over eight months and have been maintaining at 2:08 for the past eight months.

I'm physically stronger and in better shape now then I was 20 years ago period I'm 56. I'm a big fan of Tony Horton's workoutsperiod in P90X she has a routine core Plyometrics which is jumping exercises. One of the moves is a 180-degree jump spin. Two years ago there was no way mentally or physically I could have even done it.
    I move my feet and little by little got better at it. Now I could do multiple 360 jump spins. the only limitations you have are the limitations that you put on yourself mentally. It may take you awhile to do the Pull-Ups but at some point you will do those 10 to 12 pull-ups without any effort at all.

Success is the progressive realization of a worthwhile goal.
  • V4kerker
    V4kerker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    terry1992 glad to see you have a goal.
    You might want to use a Smith machine and set the bar just above your reach while laying on your back. Somewhat of a modified pull up. Or get a chair and start you pull up with your chin at the bar first and do a negative.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    starting a pullup is probably the hardest part of the whole move. most of us aren't used to activating our lower traps and 'setting' our shoulderblades in a strong position, so just doing that paid off in big ways for me beyond the pullup project itself. then once you're good at creating that strong stable base you can start the part where you activate your lats to bring yourself up to the bar. not that i've ever managed a full bottoms-up pullup myself :tongue:

as far as progression plans, eccentrics are great but idk if i'd advise taking a jump up to the top position for them, at least not right away. when you're not used to it, it's easy enough to pull any of the little muscles that lurk under/around your shoulderblades and that can be miserable. the smith machine bar is a good way of controlling that problem because you can just set it at top height and control the weight transfer into your shoulders by taking your feet off the ground once you're ready for it.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    good luck I remember the fight for the first pull up its not fun and its a ton of hard work but worth it in the end. I've been taking my kids to the playground and using the monkey bars while I'm there. Done wonders for my grip strength.
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In January I told myself I wanted to be able to do a pull-up with good form by spring. Now I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm female and carrying a bit of extra weight right now, have never been able to do proper pull-ups, and I have a shoulder issue I've been doing PT on so figured strengthening my back was a good idea.

Anyway after doing dumbbell rows, scapular shrugs (like where you hang from the bar and then retract your shoulder blades, just the very first part of the pull-up), and negative pull-ups for about 4 weeks I can do 5 pull-ups no problem.

I think it's really awesome having a challenging but concrete and achievable goal to work towards. Plus I think it can give you some focus in workouts; if you're like me you sometimes get to the gym and wander around for a bit trying to find a groove. Just break it down - there are really great articles online that outline good exercise progressions to pull-ups - and do at least something small to work towards it every day, you'll have it in no time.

And I echo the person above who said to consistently work the starting part of the pull-up: engaging your lower traps (and try to tighten your whole core when you do it also, but that's more of a supporting move) and retracting your shoulder blades. That's the most helpful thing.
  • terryt1992
    terryt1992 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am working towards it I know I have a long way to go and I will make it happen. I am losing weight still also so I know gaining muscle and losing weight at the same time will help me reach this small goal. Then I will find something else to work for.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sounds great man :)