need to get more protein in my diet...

Options
I do eat something's that have protein but not really healthy things. And I can not eat protein bars but I really need to increase how much I do eat. Please any feedback back will be helpful.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What do you eat?

I get most of my protein from a variety of meats, seafood, dairy, eggs/egg whites and the smallish contribution from plant sources. I have a little protein powder every day (mixed in yoghurt) but that's all the supplementing I do. I get 150g protein...
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Cod and chicken breast are pretty much almost entirely protein in calories. If they're too filling you're having trouble eating enough volume, whey protein is convenient, might not nearly as filling, can be pretty competitive price wise with any protein source.
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake in the morning and it keeps me satisfied until lunchtime. I use 1 scoop Pure Protein that I got from Walmart and mix with 12oz of 2% milk.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I do several small meals a day, each incorporating protein in some form. I'm getting around 180 grams at 2100 calories right now.
    Eggs/egg whites, ground beef, ground turkey, chicken breast, whey protein, and greek yogurt.
    Lots of other great options out there too, but these are some of the most protein "bang for your calorie buck".
  • mfpanyko
    mfpanyko Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder is an excellent source. Also non-fat Greek yogurt, fish, chicken, turkey, mini baby bel cheese...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure not enough protein isn't your only issue...

red bull/ sweet tea/ fritos make up about 90% of the 3 days I looked at...I had to go back to TUesday to find any sembelence of protein in your diary

chicken, shrimp, turkey, pork tenderloin are my go-to sources for protein (with little fat/carbs); greek yogurt for a good carb/protein ration; steak for a fat/protein ratio
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OP, have you learned what foods contribute what macronutrients (carbs, fats, protein)? It can be really helpful to include a source of protein at each meal (also vegetables, also for nutrition and health), and as deannalfisher said, you are really exceptionally low.

Since you don't seem to be a vegetarian this is more general. Food that provide high amounts of protein for the calories include:

meats, including seafood -- higher percentages of protein in leaner meats, of course

dairy (again, higher percentages in leaner options -- more in low fat greek yogurt than cheese)

eggs

legumes (beans and lentils, basically), including soybean-based foods like tofu, tempeh, and edamame

lesser amounts, but still valuable sources, are in: nuts and seeds (more fat, but some protein), whole grains (more carbs, but some protein), and a lot of green vegetables

In addition to just learning these kinds of basic sources of protein, reading labels can be a really useful habit to get into.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    turkey taco dip with crackers (canned flaked turkey/tuna/ham with greek yogurt and taco seasoning) amazingly satisfying for 200-250 cals

Really greek yogurt in general, Yummy parfait for 215 cals with strawberries coconut flakes and almonds. sweeten with 0cal sweetner. these are great i can premake and portion and keep in fridge in my little containers.

Fruity cheesecake smoothie (frozen fruit, Cottage cheese, Almond milk and possibly a protein powder (i use a half serving of a meal replacement shake just to use it up)

Thats how i get mine lately im on a sweet tooth kick, All very good and healthy and within 200-250 cal range XD
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and sat down with my log in hand and just did the math. What meals are working for me? I have whole egg+egg whites for breakfast, one scoop protein shake at some point, a lunch of a good portion of chicken and veggies, and dinner always has a double protein servings. Snacks are almonds for good fat/protein and slices of chicken or turkey lunch meat with cheese and mustard. It's repetitive but for now it works for me! It hits my goal of 200g per day as long as I actually eat it all but I've found myself too full on a few occasions and didn't quite reach it. But I think that's good too, to be so satisfied I didn't need all that I had planned for.

But these foods just work for me, and the repetitive nature of it is fine for me too. Just play around with foods you like until it gets high enough and do side research to find what foods are the best protein bang for your calorie buck.
  • megsi886
    megsi886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You gotta find the sources that fit into your life. My best alternative to protein bars is yogurt. I freeze siggis yogurt tubes and grab a couple on the way out the door. 5g of protein in 50 Cal per tube, so you need a few or something else to complete your breakfast. An adult would probably make their own somehow, but I like that I can eat a tube without utensils while standing in a packed train if necessary.

It's hard to overstate how good eggs are. Fast to cook, but you can preboil them if you need grab and go food, or bake them into a muffin or bar like concoction.

One more super lazy way is to get a rotisserie chicken. Slightly less lazy, bake your own. It will feed you for days.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts are also high in protein for a vegetable. Include beans of some sort every day.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    sarochka85 wrote: »
    The comment wasn't snide. The OP posted that she has congestive heart failure in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10541703/i-really-need-to-change-my-eating-habits

Eating more egg white is not going to help her much if she doesn't stop killing herself with bad food.

She needs proper medical help and a diet plan designed for her by someone with several letters after their name.

Good luck, OP. Please eat what your doctor tells you to eat and stop playing silly buggers.

I hadn't seen the CHF post :(
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    not snide...honest...if brutally so - she came asking for help about how to increase her protein - when I looked at her diary, had to go back 3 days to even find a product logged that was high in protein - multiple cans of red bull and chips a day

She also asked for help with how to reduce drinking soda I think op is on this site to make more positive changes to her life which I do applaud. I still think your post was a bit snide, and I didn't see the post she made about her CHF, but I can tell she's trying to make things better for herself and made this post to ask for help with her protein intake. I answered without snide to the op.

I'm glad Op is trying to make positive changes in her life, and I hope she continues because change is great for everyone.
    I actually think op is a brave person to do what she's doing.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    If she has medical issues, then she should be working with trained personnel, but I struggle thinking of a scenario where a cardiologist wouldn't have said chips and Red Bull have to go if you want to survive...

I applaud her for logging every day but 2400 cal of chips and Red Bull is hard to swollow
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If she has medical issues, then she should be working with trained personnel, but I struggle thinking of a scenario where a cardiologist wouldn't have said chips and Red Bull have to go if you want to survive...

I applaud her for logging every day but 2400 cal of chips and Red Bull is hard to swollow

How do you know she isn't working with a medical professional? If I remember correctly From the posts she has been making and recently coming into MyFitnessPal she is trying to make positive changes. Small steps is what creates changes, and I think Op's posts about:
    1. Trying to stop drinking soda
    2. Trying to eat better
    3. Trying to increase her protein intake

The fact she created these posts are great because it shows a willingness to change. 2400 calories of chips and Red Bull might be hard to swallow because it's not something you're consuming but at least Op is trying to get help and that's what matters at the end of the day.
    She made he diary public which is pretty scary for a lot of people, but she did, and she's brave for doing so.
    We aren't perfect individuals before we start our weight loss journey we probably had not the best eating habits, but the more we learn (in this case posting) the better decisions we can make about how to increase protein, eating better reducing drink choices, etc.

I choose not to shame the op for her eating choices because guess what no one is perfect. I actually ate 2 cheesecake slices yesterday, and over-ate and thus gained almost a full pound today. The difference between me and the op is I didn't inform everyone else about this. It takes a lot to create a post and ask for advice it really does. I know what my problems are, and I'm okay with it I know today is a new day, and for the op she'll learn to make better choices as well and learn from it. It seems like she hasn't been on this site for even a week yet and change often takes time.

Thanks for applauding her on her journey and i have absolutely zero hard feelings with you I really don't I actually find your posts super helpful you are just stating facts from the ops diary. I didn't mean anything negative with the comment I made yesterday about it being snide I did feel that way at the time. I just think oftentimes when people start I tend to use kid gloves and try to say things in a more gentle way. I know my approach is kinda weird, but the op seems so nice I can't help it.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to the posts I made and feel free to continue to respond if you desire as well. We all have our demons all we can do is acknowledge them and try to get better
    :smile: