I. Just. Want. To. Log. My. APPLEEEEEEEEEE >_<

Options
Decided to switch up breakfast this morning and have 92 g of a Granny Smith apple instead of my usual 90ish grams of golden delicious apple. It took me until 10 entries down to find an entry that had grams instead of "one each" "one medium apple" or "one large apple". It had fluid ounces listed as a measuring option. apples. are. not. fluid.

After that, I finally found a generic entry that's going to be doing the job. Anyone else had a difficult time trying to find an entry in grams? If so, what food were you trying to log? Just curious after this morning's adventure.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Search for "apple, raw"

Click on one of the offered choices, such as "Apples, raw, with skin"

At the next page, copy this string "09003, Apples, raw, with skin"
    and paste that into your food diary. You can also choose granny smith apples. You can use grams.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    An apple, regardless of type is roughly 1 calorie per gram. That's close enough for me. Also, why on earth are you not eating Gala Apples??? :wink:

yellingBoyfriend really likes Granny Smiths and they were the cheapest at Aldi yesterday. I do love me a good gala apple, though.
    CyberTone wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things, the differing nutrition profiles among different varieties of apples is negligible.

Yeah, I realize that nutritionally it's probably not a big deal, but I always pair my apple with something and I'm finding that I don't like all apples with all cheeses / dips, so I'm keeping track that way.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I got it taken care of, I was just feeling ranty because I was having a hard time immediately after I woke up. Apparently my problem solving skillz don't kick in when my eyes are still burning.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    And you need to weigh the core before you pitch it too. Nah, just log it for what it is, a rough estimate. I don't worry about logging an apple correctly because its not going to be far off anyway. I would however make sure you log your plate of nachos & cheese correctly though. :-)
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    An apple, regardless of type is roughly 1 calorie per gram. That's close enough for me. Also, why on earth are you not eating Gala Apples??? :wink:

I love me some Galas but I think my ultimate fave is Honeycrisp. Mmmm! <3

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    tag it with "USDA" and you won't have any issues.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    <Open diary.

Try my apple for logging. It at least lets me put it in ounces. I switch between eating Gala, Fuji, and Honeycrisp apples
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    It makes me laugh what comes up in the database sometimes. Was logging a pre-made lasagna the other day and there was actually a verified entry that gave fluid ounces as an option. For lasagna. Seriously.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    It makes me laugh what comes up in the database sometimes. Was logging a pre-made lasagna the other day and there was actually a verified entry that gave fluid ounces as an option. For lasagna. Seriously.

Lasagna smoothie :laugh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    After that, I finally found a generic entry that's going to be doing the job. Anyone else had a difficult time trying to find an entry in grams? If so, what food were you trying to log? Just curious after this morning's adventure.

Often, even though I know the usual tricks to find and log the USDA entries. Some of them seem to disappear sometimes too. I think the search feature could be a lot better, the green check thing is useless, and there really should be a way to search solely for the non user-inputted (USDA) entries. It's at the point where I sometimes search for USDA even though what that brings up a user-entry (one who took it from the USDA), and if it's not something I'm familiar enough with to judge myself will then cross check with the USDA site.

This is actually why I prefer logging at Cronometer (one of the reasons) -- it makes it super easy to find the good entries, as there's not so much clutter. It's only good if you mainly eat whole foods, though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Often, even though I know the usual tricks to find and log the USDA entries. Some of them seem to disappear sometimes too. I think the search feature could be a lot better, the green check thing is useless, and there really should be a way to search solely for the non user-inputted (USDA) entries. It's at the point where I sometimes search for USDA even though what that brings up a user-entry (one who took it from the USDA), and if it's not something I'm familiar enough with to judge myself will then cross check with the USDA site.

This is actually why I prefer logging at Cronometer (one of the reasons) -- it makes it super easy to find the good entries, as there's not so much clutter. It's only good if you mainly eat whole foods, though.

When I'm at home (that is, cooking for myself with staple ingredients and produce), Cronometer is incredibly easy to use -- much easier than MFP. When I'm on the road for work (eating out more, buying more pre-made things at the grocery store), it can be a bit more challenging. It does have pretty good options for entering your own food though, so for things I eat over and over again, it balances out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

When I'm at home (that is, cooking for myself with staple ingredients and produce), Cronometer is incredibly easy to use -- much easier than MFP. When I'm on the road for work (eating out more, buying more pre-made things at the grocery store), it can be a bit more challenging. It does have pretty good options for entering your own food though, so for things I eat over and over again, it balances out.

Yeah, this is exactly my experience.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Ever have a Jazz apple? Sweetango? Jazz are my fave, then honeycrisp and the Sweetango. I'm hoping I can even find the Sweetango ones in FL this fall!
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You should try logging garlic in grams. Sometimes I get 10 calories for 10 grams and sometimes I get 10000 calories for the same 10 grams. I'm not sure WHY there is so much difference when it is put in the same way.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

Lasagna smoothie :laugh:

I think that might actually be worse than the shrimp smoothie.

OP, the database is pretty bloated with horrible entries. The others have given some good suggestions to help you focus the search.

yellingBoyfriend really likes Granny Smiths and they were the cheapest at Aldi yesterday. I do love me a good gala apple, though.
    CyberTone wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things, the differing nutrition profiles among different varieties of apples is negligible.

Yeah, I realize that nutritionally it's probably not a big deal, but I always pair my apple with something and I'm finding that I don't like all apples with all cheeses / dips, so I'm keeping track that way.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I got it taken care of, I was just feeling ranty because I was having a hard time immediately after I woke up. Apparently my problem solving skillz don't kick in when my eyes are still burning.

With regards to the bolded, you could always make a note in your diary with those details.
  • merewen314
    merewen314 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should try logging garlic in grams. Sometimes I get 10 calories for 10 grams and sometimes I get 10000 calories for the same 10 grams. I'm not sure WHY there is so much difference when it is put in the same way.

Some entries are per 1 gram and some are per 100 grams. Usually this happens to me when I mix them up. If all my calories suddenly disappear, it's invariably because my log thinks I just had 9000 grams of carrots with my hummus.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    10 entries is nothing! If you eat it too fast, though, just know there's only one entry for an apple sticker, but it's 0 calories, so the weight shouldn't matter if it's only one. Because, you know, rounding laws.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    10 entries is nothing! If you eat it too fast, though, just know there's only one entry for an apple sticker, but it's 0 calories, so the weight shouldn't matter if it's only one. Because, you know, rounding laws.

But how much fibre is in it?