Leslie Sansone's "Walk at Home," P90x3 and Why I'm 'Afraid'

Options
For starters, I hate saying "I'm afraid" lol...makes me feel like a wuss :tongue:

BUT...anyway

So years ago, when I first shed my weight (like...20-25 lbs), I did it through a 1200 cal diet and the Leslie Sansone videos. I've kept the weight off, but have not progressed along my fitness journey. I'm getting back on the nutrition and exercise wagon, but now that I'm older and know that being "skinny" isn't just about the number on the scale, I want to do something that is going to get me trim and tight and strong. Lately, I have been doing the 4 mile walk with Leslie and by the end I am SWEATING. Lots of knee lifts, squat moves, etc...I like her videos because they are easy for me to follow...but I'm just afraid - what if it's not enough??? What if now, 5 years later, approaching 30 (27) I need more??

So...I'm looking into P90x3 BUT I'm afraid concerned (let's just stick with concerned :tongue:) that it's going to be too advanced for me and I'm going to get frustrated because I don't know how to do the moves. I mean, you're talking to a person who can't even do hardly ONE push up. I can't do a backbend, a handstand, a pull up/chin up - I'm not obese lol (5'6" 146 lbs) I've just never been athletic or very coordinated haha. I DO realize I need to push myself and of course everyone starts at "I can't do ____" until they try and they can, and if the DVD set weren't so expensive, I definitely wouldn't be posting here - I'd just buy the dang thing and take a whack at it lol. BUT I want to be sure it's at a doable pace bc I know myself - I'll get so frustrated at my idiocy and inability to figure out the moves that I'll quit - just trying to be real here. I guess I'm just hoping somebody who was where I'm at now did P90x3 with success.

Anybody?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Have you considered joining a gym and lifting weights? I started out doing the Stronglifts program. It's only 5 exercises to learn and you can start off with body weight squats and dumbbells for the other lifts, adding more weight as you get stronger. I'm not familiar with P90x3, but handstands and chinups sound a bit much for a beginner's program. If you are only using body weight you will only get so strong before plateauing.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If P90X seems to daunting a task, why not start with something "smaller"? Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30? Denise Austin's 3 week Boot Camp? Both use dumbbells and cardio combinations. I also really like The Firm Videos. Find something you enjoy and stick to it. Strength training/weight lifting is also good, but you may feel more comfortable starting with videos and dumbbells at first.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to look on eBay and Craig's List for the videos, if you do decide to buy them! Lots of people who impulse buy them and give up after a week are probably looking for some of their investment back ;).
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Have you considered the other non-X Power 90 exercises? Like Classic Power 90, New P90, and the oft-missed Power 90 Master Series, which has no chin ups, handstands, etc.?
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Try fitness blender on YouTube tons of low impact workouts, kettle bell, high impact, yoga and strength training videos all for free, before shelling out all that money for p90 see what YouTube has to offer, and see how you progress, then maybe shell out for p90 if you still want to. Befit has tons of Jillian Michaels workout for free, pop sugar and has fit are also great YouTube channels.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I still use Leslie for cardio - just cardio. I use a rebounder so all the moves are essentially jogging but without the impact (wonky knee).

But strength training is a separate thing for me. I'm careful about the videos I do so I'm leery about buying an expensive set . Kelly Coffey Meyer is my favorite. She has a series called 30 minutes to fitness. I rotate three of her weight DVDs.

Video clips & reviews: https://www.collagevideo.com/collections/kelly-coffey-meyer
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I loved p90x3, I don't think it has many difficult moved, you can always modify if you need to, plus it's not meant to be easy, if it was there would be no point doing it, would there?

Plus you can always pause the dvd if you need to, until you 'get' the move.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I bought into a similar program: UFC Fit. Definitely not for beginners. Even thought they have a "Beginner", Intermediate, and Advanced example to follow in the videos, the "Beginner" is far too difficult for me to follow through from start to finish. Shelf the DVDs for a bit. Work on basic cardio and weight training, come back to the DVDs and try again. Repeat as necessary. (I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm about ready to give it another shot).
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    On any DVD workout you should watch the thing before trying to workout too it. I have done many of these things (Insanity, p90x, p90x3, Max 30, T25) and if you go in blind you will get frustrated with them, because you are trying to copy them and watch at the same time often ends in falling on you face or butt. Watch the first one the day before you do it and just keep watching the next days the evening before.

In some of the workouts there are modifiers that have an easier version of the workout (T25, Max 30, p90x). I like p90x3 because that it is short and quick, but they left out a lot of the easier modifications (probably to save time). I swear by these workouts and I am not a beach body coach, but because I have done a ton and they have worked for me. I still do p90x and p90x3 for strength days because I don't do the GYM atmosphere.
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who responded!!

I've decided my plan of action is to get my hands t-25 (will be checking eBay for sure!!) and then move on to p90x3. After previewing some of their promotional segments on both programs, I immediately was drawn to t-25. It reminds me a lot of Leslie sansone but of course kicked up quiiiiiiiite a few notches. I think it'll be a good transition for me to build up more strength before moving onto p90x3. My SIL only confirmed it for me when we were talking about both programs (both of which she has done) and she said "I can see you doing t-25." I'm excited to get my hands on it and I think that's pretty important - too be excited! Again, thank you all so much for your help! <3
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who responded!!

I've decided my plan of action is to get my hands t-25 (will be checking eBay for sure!!) and then move on to p90x3. After previewing some of their promotional segments on both programs, I immediately was drawn to t-25. It reminds me a lot of Leslie sansone but of course kicked up quiiiiiiiite a few notches. I think it'll be a good transition for me to build up more strength before moving onto p90x3. My SIL only confirmed it for me when we were talking about both programs (both of which she has done) and she said "I can see you doing t-25." I'm excited to get my hands on it and I think that's pretty important - too be excited! Again, thank you all so much for your help! <3

Have you looked into stronglifts 5x5?
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

No but I will - is that another Beach Body program?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

No but I will - is that another Beach Body program?

No - it requires a set of barbells & a weight bench

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm coordination-challenged and I love Beach Body programs, and I'm in the boat of needing to watch it once through before going in, otherwise it's a hot mess. :D There's no shame in watching beforehand!
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Im going to jump on the Jillian Michaels Bandwagon.

Body Revolution is a program that is 90days long. I am 5'6 and 148lbs currently, so we are pretty close.

I was terrified before I started. Now, I have 2.5 weeks left of this program, and it was all worth it. Not scary at all.

It's not a hard program, and the progression will keep you were you need to be to get to the next level. I was like you. Couldn't do a push up, etc etc. Now I know I can do multiple pushups after working with this program. I feel like it is built for girls like us. I have toned up, and my strength has improved greatly!

After this, I plan on joining the new local gym and starting Stronglifts.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree with Fitness Blender. Free, varied, friendly for all levels. Definitely check them out. BTW..you can start & progress @ any age, any weight, any level of fitness. I'm over 50, do a high intensity bootcamp 3x a week with loads of 20-somethings, I modify the plyometrics due to a current knee problem, but still get a great sweat on; also power step call 3x week, plus various FitnessBlender & Kettlercise workouts. Don't be afraid to try something new or different...if you don't like it or can't manage a move, just try something else. Good luck!