Anyone else work term time only?

Options
If so, how do you manage to stay on track during the holidays? Every time I finish for (example) Easter break, bang goes my resolve! I guess it wouldn't matter, except I have a lot of holidays. Doesn't undo all my work for all term, but would like to get your insight how to not take 2 steps forward 1 step back.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What is it about having a term break that causes you problems? One you find the "why" it's easier to fix it.
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I guess the why is I relax and think job well done! Plus all routine goes out the window so I find myself making food which we all want to eat (rather than the tweaking I do to change my meals from the rest of the family). Plus of course I drink more in the evenings generally, rather than planned drinks at the weekend.

Maybe I need to analyse why I wrote "of course" just there...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to develop a break routine.

I work 3-4 days per week, which means I have a lot of free time for about half the week. Setting up a routine means I'm not sitting at home waiting to eat. Get up, have your coffee, go for a walk or do some exercise, have what you would normally have for lunch if you weren't on break, clean the house, do yard work, read a book, make dinner, etc.

Adding physical activity to that routine is going to bring some added benefits.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    I also only work 4 days a week, and the weekly 3 days off isn't a problem. It is only when it is end of term and I get that "schools out for summer" feeling. But you r absolutely right, I just need to adopt the same mind set for the holidays that I have for the rest of my working life! Easier said than done, but now I have written it down I can start working on a strategy....

Thank you
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I have tried to copy my work schedule onto my weekends, and would do it on any lengthy break but lol at that ever happening for me. But basically I plan to eat at roughly the same times and I have already prepared my lunches and snacks for the entire weekend so I don't have to think about what I want to eat and just grab what I prepared.

Sorry if this can't apply to you because of having children or other family at home that you like to eat the same foods with, maybe this wouldnt work but the concept of transferring the work day habits that keep you on track to your time off. Wake up at a similar hour, get moving with an activity chore or exercise, eat your meals at the same time and with the same care as you'd usually do, and of course drinking can always be adjusted. I myself just indulged in too much alcohol (calorie wise) last night and am chosing to avoid alcohol this weekend to compensate/regain control of my choices.

One thing I keep adding to my posts is that weight loss and lifestyle change is a learning process. What works for me may not work for you, but what's important is to try new things and see how it works out then learn, tweak the plan, and try again. Just keep learning from yourself at each break from work, if last time alcohol seemed to be an issue then next break be mindful and make a limit for yourself or find a lower calorie version of something you enjoy.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    I have tried to copy my work schedule onto my weekends, and would do it on any lengthy break but lol at that ever happening for me. But basically I plan to eat at roughly the same times and I have already prepared my lunches and snacks for the entire weekend so I don't have to think about what I want to eat and just grab what I prepared.

Sorry if this can't apply to you because of having children or other family at home that you like to eat the same foods with, maybe this wouldnt work but the concept of transferring the work day habits that keep you on track to your time off. Wake up at a similar hour, get moving with an activity chore or exercise, eat your meals at the same time and with the same care as you'd usually do, and of course drinking can always be adjusted. I myself just indulged in too much alcohol (calorie wise) last night and am chosing to avoid alcohol this weekend to compensate/regain control of my choices.

One thing I keep adding to my posts is that weight loss and lifestyle change is a learning process. What works for me may not work for you, but what's important is to try new things and see how it works out then learn, tweak the plan, and try again. Just keep learning from yourself at each break from work, if last time alcohol seemed to be an issue then next break be mindful and make a limit for yourself or find a lower calorie version of something you enjoy.

Thank you for your reply. I think just my acknowledging that I want to change how I approach the holidays is going to help. In the past I have just thought that it wasn't possible for me to continue to lose weight when off work and not really thought about why.

Am going to try your suggestion and prepare a batch of soup to eat for lunch in the same way I would during the working week and take it from there. And maybe use visits to the park as a chance for me to run around like a lunatic with my kids, rather than just watch them do it