Low in calories, but more filling?

Options
Hi, Can anyone suggest me food that is filling but low on calories. I need to lose weight fast but eating fruits etc are not filling for me...and eating pasta and bread is full of calories. Is there a middle point where I can enjoy filling low calorie food?
Cheers !

Replies

• tahirasahar
    tahirasahar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How is oat?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nuts aren't very low calorie but the healthy fats in them can be filling!
    Don't fall into the "I want to lose weight so I can only have 1200 calories" trap, I'm losing weight at over 2000 calories intake a day. Hard to believe but that's obviously a decrease from what I was eating before. I also eat my exercise calories which made last Sunday a 3000 calorie day.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese?
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    try 1/3 cup of plain or vanilla greek yogurt mixed with 1 tbsn of sugar free jelly - I love polaners blackberry! and mix in about 1/3 packet of spenda... SO GOOD! SO FILLING! AND only 63 calories!!!
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I would suggest something like a chicken breast. Couple it with some rice or veggies, and it's filling but very low cal for a meal.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Yogurt
  • tahirasahar
    Options
    Yes u r right...nuts can b a good option. How about pop corns?
  • Gemini_at_36
    Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
    Options
    :smile: be careful about losing lots of weight really fast. It's great but it usually comes back......talking from lots of experience
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Veggies. You can eat them all day and not get enough calories. Raw, steamed, roasted or grilled. Not just carrots and snap peas either. Try Eggplant, zucchini, asperagus, peppers, tomatoes - all great on the grill with a very little olive oil. Steam some Kale with tomatoes, onion and garlic. OMG there is just so much food there. And really, it's georgeous.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Air popped popcorn should be fine it takes a while to eat a cup or 2 of popped corn.
    I'd stay away from the microwave'd stuff but that's a personal choice, I retired the microwave and almost all of my plastic containers.
  • tahirasahar
    Options
    Chicken breast n yogurt...nice options guys...love the chixken breast option !!
  • tahirasahar
    Options
    Veggies. You can eat them all day and not get enough calories. Raw, steamed, roasted or grilled. Not just carrots and snap peas either. Try Eggplant, zucchini, asperagus, peppers, tomatoes - all great on the grill with a very little olive oil. Steam some Kale with tomatoes, onion and garlic. OMG there is just so much food there. And really, it's georgeous.

Thanks !! Some great stuff :):)
  • shnnd19
    shnnd19 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been eatting trail mix, it fills me up & last. It's about 130 cals, it also gives that sweet taste that sometimes we crave for.
  • tahirasahar
    Options
    Air popped popcorn should be fine it takes a while to eat a cup or 2 of popped corn.
    I'd stay away from the microwave'd stuff but that's a personal choice, I retired the microwave and almost all of my plastic containers.
    yeah popcorns take time to get finished....just hav to monitor the salt though. They r filling specially if u drink some water after eating them.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

Agree. Veggies are the best, but people shy away from them.
    Try eating FOUR CUPS of steamed, chopped vegetables for one meal. You will be so full.
    Some of the best veggies are broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, and spinach. The darker the veg, the more nutrients for you.
  • tahirasahar
    Options
    :smile: be careful about losing lots of weight really fast. It's great but it usually comes back......talking from lots of experience
    thanks vitawoman...u r soo right !! <3
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    oats i eat a lot of and natural yogourt with apples and honey
  • arsonsmom
    arsonsmom Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Anything Kashi it has high protein and is very filling!! I love the Honey Almond Flax Chewy Granola Bar only 140 cals and with water I am good for about two hours...
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    try 1/3 cup of plain or vanilla greek yogurt mixed with 1 tbsn of sugar free jelly - I love polaners blackberry! and mix in about 1/3 packet of spenda... SO GOOD! SO FILLING! AND only 63 calories!!!

Yep Greek Yogurt rocks!!!
    I add a little protein powder to mine for extra protein
    Veggies are SOOO filling and SOOO low in calorie as well - Frozen steamers are great in my opinion...

X2 on Chicken Breast as well

I do a lot of:
    Package Tuna
    Tuna steak
    Tilapia
    Salmon
    cod
    Chicken
    (even some steak if I'm in the mood)

But I also support what was said on calories... If you focus on adding a workout to your day you'll burn WAY more calories and you can still eat enough to keep you out of starvation mode!!! Remember:
    Good Carbs for Energy
    Good Protein for sustained energy and muscle repair (after workouts)
    Good Fats for proper liver function (which in turn is what burns stored fat as calories)

Without ALL three - you'll find yourself NOT losing
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Any good protein will make you feel full and doesn't have to have too many calories if there is not much fat. Think chicken, fish and lean steak.