A bump in the road?

Options
So I've been working out and trying to better myself for the past two months or so, so I'm pretty new to it all. Recently I hit a new milestone, and this may sound like absolutely nothing to a lot of people but I managed to run 2 miles without stopping, and that was a big deal for me!! The day after I went out to run again to work on beating that, when these a-holes on their motorbikes swerved toward me at full speed as though they were going to hit me, I'm assuming all for a joke. Maybe I'm being daft but it really scared me (I honestly thought for a second that these two guys on bikes were trying to kill me) and I didn't feel like running after that, and I've just got back from my second run since it happened, just over a week ago. Everytime I put my trainers on I feel panicked because it's all I can think about, and it's really putting me off. When I went on this run today I felt like I'd messed up a bit, I couldn't run nearly as far as I could, so I guess I'm a bit down in the dumps about that- I feel like I've taken a huge step back-and I'm looking for a little motivation. I'm grateful for anything anyone has to say!
-N x

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    While it was something you weren't expecting to happen, it also was something that did not harm you. Be a duck and let it be water.
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    First iff, running 2 miles nonstop is an achievement you should be proud of.

Safety is important, especially for women runners but don't let those jerks prevent you from bettering yourself. Is there a place you can run that is away from the road? I personally don't like running by a road, even if I'm on a sidewalk. I will drive myself to a park or run the path near the beach.

Good luck!
  • nattashleigh123
    nattashleigh123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your lovely words!!
    I'm looking for a new place to run at the moment, there's a park I'm going to try soon!
    Running on the beach sounds so lovely, I wish I lived close to a beach so I could do that!
    -N x
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Congrats on 2 miles! I wish I could do that! Sorry about the jerks. I understand how it can be very unsettling. For me the battle is cars vs bikes, and I am constantly hearing about fatal or near-fatal car vs bike "accidents", and almost never is the driver of the car prosecuted (so often hit-and-run). Some people just feel like they own the road and they want you off of it. Some people are just careless and unobservant in the extreme. Most people, however, are not like that. Please don't give up. Maybe change your route, or find a group of people to run with. Higher visibility clothing? (some people really just don't notice things, as hard as it can be to believe that) Maybe (if you can afford it) some kind of GoPro-style camera for peace of mind so that you at least have a record of reckless behavior to hand to the police... I just hate the idea of letting the jerks win.
  • nattashleigh123
    nattashleigh123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Higher visibility clothing is a great idea! Thankyou! Id love a go-pro but I can't quite afford it- one day maybe!
    -N x
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that you had that horrible experience, especially after achieving such a significant milestone for yourself. Don't let them beat you though. You obviously have the power to achieve your goals, and you have the power to overcome this challenge.