Postpartum - what's your story?

Options
Hi all,

I'm having a hard time with this whole 'weight' thing since I had my baby boy. Before I got pregnant, I was in great shape and fit into a size 4 at 134-138lbs. I was over 200lbs when I gave birth to him on January 10th (I gained over 60lbs) and I'm now floating around 155lbs. I exercised 5-6 days a week while I was pregnant and got back into small exercises 2 weeks after he was born (for my back), I had a natural birth. I completed 21 day fix and am now in my 2nd month and 2nd week of Insanity. The one and only spot I see the fat sticking around is my stomach area.

I am breastfeeding and plan to keep doing so until my boy is at least 2 years old (if everything pans out). My goal is to be able to look in the mirror and put my jeans on without seeing belly fat hanging over the top! I currently can't fit into them and have about an inch to lose on my waist, otherwise they fit. I'm not looking so much at numbers on the scale, I just want to shrink overall to fit back into my pants/dresses/clothes.

Are any other ladies experiencing this or have experienced this? How long did it take to get the extra weight off your stomach area? What workouts or programs did you do to get the fat off? I'm starting back at the gym in May (I dread this - I hate being away from my son!) to start lifting again. I know that when I wanted to get in shape the first time I used to do protein shakes, but, I read whey protein cannot be used while breastfeeding. I don't like veggie protein, it's like paste.

Anyway, if someone can give me some advice, I'd very much appreciate it because I'm feeling pretty defeated. I should also mention that my "junk" food is 2 pieces of dark chocolate and a glass of wine about 3 or 4 days a week. Otherwise, it's all fruits, veggies, ground turkey, chicken breast, salmon, eggs, greek yogurt, nuts, cheese, salads, etc. I don't eat a lot of "junk" I'm a pretty clean eater.

Thanks!

Replies

• Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You minght have a lot of stretched out skin that will take a while to shrink back. Depends on how old you are and how far post partum.. keep eating healthy and exercising, lift heavy weights, sleep.. your body will find a way back, just be patient and consistent - enjoy your baby!!
  • jessnussfitness
    jessnussfitness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Totally in the same boat as you! I'm only a month pp but trying to lose the last bit of belly fat and tone up while EBF is a challenge for me. I've heard, your body clings to a certain percentage of belly fat while you BF as a back up source for baby. Not sure how true that really is though.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It took me about 7-8 months to get my body back after my second. Breastfeeding, weight lifting 2-3x per week, walking. I took my time and let the weight come off slow and steady to retain muscle and lower my body fat %. Didn't track my cals, just made sure to eat enough protein, veggies but ate pretty much whatever I wanted. I wasn't sleeping well at all either which sucked but meh what can ya do. Some women have a hard time losing weight when nursing, others like myself had no issues.

It's only been 3 months... your body has been through a lot. Keep doing what you are doing and be patient.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I didn't return to my pre pregnancy size until 10 months post partem. I lost slow on purpose so that my loss would be easy to maintain and so that it wouldn't effect my milk supply. I did Jamie Eason's Post Pregnancy Fitness Trainer, Starting Strength, Kettlebell Conditioning for Women by Lauren Brooks, and am currently doing Wendler 5-3-1.

You can take a whey protein supplement while nursing. Make sure that you get one with simple ingredients. Most of the Whey protein supps add things like creatine, extra BCAAs, beta alanine, and glutamine. I use Bodylogix Natural Whey. MRM, Jay Rabb, and Labrada (Jaime Eason's signature supplement) are also really clean. These supplements do not carry the breastfeeding warning that the others do. That being said, do what you are comfortable doing. You can discuss any supps you have concerns about with either your OB or your child's pediatrician.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 yrs after my first to get a flat toned tummy and now I'm working on it again after my 3rd...my last 2 were really close in age. I think you're doing great....I do find my tummy to be the last to shrink as far as inches go...but I'm confidant I'll get there....so will you :)
  • F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH ladies for your perspectives! I'm always super hard on myself and just want to be back to where I was.

BTW I'm going to be 35 at the end of April and I'm 5'7. I know I'm supposed to be taking in around 1,800 calories a day with baby but it's hard to eat that much some days - hence the chocolate and wine to add a few. I'm trying to average out my week, although I'm not counting my calories, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm taking in because I tracked for so long. I just don't want to put extra stress on myself. I'm amazingly lucky to have such a good baby, I sleep around 7-8 hours a night (sometimes more) and my husband is a huge help and will take him on the weekends if I had a rough week because he's always up early.

I'm looking forward to starting my weight training again, I just wanted to go back to the gym when I was ready and do a couple programs to get somewhat into shape before I went back. Now I'm like a beast again with my cardio but am going to have to work again at getting more strength back. Insanity REALLY works it but it's all resistance training.

Again thank you! If there is anything else you ladies can let me know about, I will be checking this again, or feel free to inbox me. It's nice to have people to keep me motivated and vs. versa.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Same here, had my baby in january before pregnancy 125 ,after delivery 150.... as of today down to 135 ... very slow progress for what i was hoping because im not breastfeeding anyways youll get there just eat healthy at set calories and dont stress out GOOD LUCK!
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Same here, had my baby in january before pregnancy 125 ,after delivery 150.... as of today down to 135 ... very slow progress for what i was hoping because im not breastfeeding anyways youll get there just eat healthy at set calories and dont stress out GOOD LUCK!

5-3"
    35years old
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mu daughter is 11 months and i was BF until she was 10 months. I was stuck at 70 kg when BF (no matter how much i walked with her). 59 kg pre-pregnancy weight, size 4, i am 5,3. So until i weaned my baby it was difficult to curb my appetite. Weight is going down now since i am not more constantly hungry and get a lot more sleep. To be honest i was not into this post-baby-body craziness in the first months post partum because i just wanted to focus on my newborn, manage BF and my new responsibilities as a fresh mother.
    I am not doing much exercising besides light jogging and swimming. Lost about 3 kg in a month. I am on about 1400 cal per day. Consistency is the key in this, i will continue no matter what.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    This should make you feel better. Took me a year each with babies 1 & 2. It's been over 5 years since my third- still 13 pounds up and no flat belly in sight- never really had one.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    It took me 18 months to get back in shape the first time around and right when I started Herbalife and had been about 5/6 months into lifting I found out I was pregnant. This second time around, I'm 11 months pp, we shall see. You're only a few months out. Give yourself time.