Questions about protein and such??

Options
I'm going to join a gym and I'm really curious as to what I should drink? I mean people use whey and stuff but to be honest, this kind of stuff is new to me and I'm clueless about it... so anything that could help me out would be awesome...

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Depends. Are you not getting enough protein through your regular diet? If you are, no need to supplement.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's ok to drink water. What is your purpose with joining a gym?
  • Countess_Ha
    Countess_Ha Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure, is it even necessary to do pre workout shakes? I mean do I have to do it?
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    No. What sort of workout are you planning to do? Anything specific?
  • Countess_Ha
    Countess_Ha Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I want to get rid of some weight, around 13 more pounds for now, and then I want to tone.
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I take in about 100 to 120 grams of protein a day. I weight lift 4 days a week. Protein is 4 calories a gram. Protein also digests slower than carbs. First thing you need to do is take a look at your overall diet. You can't out exercise a bad diet. Make sure you're getting enough of each of your macros (fat, carbs, protein) for your needs. IF you need to supplement protein, that's when you would go for something like protein shakes. Hydration is probably more important, make sure you're drinking enough water.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I want to get rid of some weight, around 13 more pounds for now, and then I want to tone.

"toning" is looking more defined - this happens when you lose fat. Lifting weights whilst you're in a deficit will help retain muscle as you diet
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Google for stronglifts 5x5. Adopt that as your weight lifting goal. There are others, but that one is easy to find.

You'll need to consume 1 gram of protein for each pound of your body weight while keeping to the progressive overload plan of the 5x5 system. Make certain that your calorie deficit is not more than 500 calories below your NEAT. That is, set your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week and then eat every allocated calorie.
    Do the lifting according to the 5x5 plan.

If you can get all your protein from food, do so.
    If that is difficult, you may choose to use a protein powder.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just workout and see how you feel. Everyone has a different body. You don't need protein shakes before your workout. You're trying to lose weight. Just find a diet that agrees with your workout routine. There's a very big hype with protein shakes. Honestly, it seems like most people drink protein shakes before a workout because they can carry their cute little shaker bottles around at the gym. My routine is pretty heavy. I swim roughly 12,000 yards a week, cycle close to 200 miles a week, and run about 60 miles a week. I also strength train in between. I've never felt the need to use protein. Eat right and you shouldn't either.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure, is it even necessary to do pre workout shakes? I mean do I have to do it?

Waste of time and money unless you have very specific training goals
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Shakes and pre/post workout drinks are not of any concern right now. Unless you are very deficient in getting protein from your normal diet you can add one whenever you want. Otherwise, stick to a beginner lifting plan. Get some cardio conitioning in and be patient