Servings

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
I know we have had this topic before, but I was reminded yesterday of this sneaky ploy from package good companies.

The turkey pot pie looked good. It had veggies and turkey and of course a lovely crust. I read the box without my glasses (or didn't WANT to see!) and it says 550 calories.

Ok, not what I would really want for good in/out food, but ok and within my daily maint. cals

I eat. I enjoy. It is delish. :tongue:

I go to log it an hour later and it says 550 for HALF..............who the heck eats half of a pot pie? It is an individual pie. How would you cut it in half to share or eat it later?????

So my yum num pot pie was almost my entire daily calories.

And I wonder how I gained back 10 pounds!!!:embarassed:

Bottom line-read the fine print! Even an apple is not an apple unless weighed! I have seen 3oz apples and 6 oz apples. The calories have to be double, right?:huh:

Have a great day!

Replies

• KateEats
    KateEats Posts: 4
    Options
    You are so right! You've got to track every bite for it to work... and that involves measuring/weighing/reading labels every time. My measuring cups are in constant use!
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree you have to definitely read...especially it seems the "junkier" the food the worse it is. I looked a a muffin one time (granted it was a large one...but still a muffin). FOUR servings! Who is going to cut a muffin into fourths? And my best/dumbest find so far came just yesterday while grocery shopping. I got my fruit but then thought maybe for a treat I would make some fruit dip for it. Then I thought no cause I would eat to much of it. Sooo I look at some cute little "single serving" pre made fruit dips. 95 calories for about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup container. I thought...no to bad and if I only buy one that limits how much I eat. Then I looked closer...the "single serve" size...serves two! I really think with everything else the food & drug administration controls they need to look into this...it is false advertising and definitely contributes to the weight problem in the world. I guarantee you most people do not read the label that close. A single serving should mean just that! Anyway...they lost my sale!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Oh I so agree!

The pot pie was a bad choice to begin with, but double the calories was amazing to me. I really could not beleive it had THAT many calories! I could have had a Whopper with cheese for cyring out loud:grumble:

MFP is good for me because it makes me aware of what I am eating. If it must be logged, then I better like what I see:drinker:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,066 Member
    Options
    :sad: I miss / love pot pies. Especially Marie Callendar.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    So true, I started weighing most things, nice post
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that it is extremely annoying when you look at the serving size of something and then have to do advanced calculus equations to figure out how many calories you actually had.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's so frustrating. I think the manufacturers do it on purpose so they can claim a lower calorie count to lure people in with "false" advertising. It's not technically false, but it's misleading.

In fact, for me being on a low carb diet, I have to be careful because if the carb count per serving is less than one, the manufacturers are allowed to list zero. If I have 3 servings, that can add up, and since I'm not allowed very many carbs per day, I have to be very careful.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    This happened to me today! After the gym, I was looking at granola bars. One looked so good, and it was only 200 calories. After I examined the label I realized one serving is half the bar!
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I got caught on calories with the exact same pot pie. The second one stayed in the freezer for a long time until my husband(who is, of course, nice and trim) ate it one night for supper!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :sad: I miss / love pot pies. Especially Marie Callendar.
    smiley-hug002.gif
    I'm sorry
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I totally agree that it is extremely annoying when you look at the serving size of something and then have to do advanced calculus equations to figure out how many calories you actually had.

and I failed math :sad:

:laugh:
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    so true!