Weight Loss Surgery vs Loosing Weight Naturally

Options
2»

Replies

• reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I always told myself I wouldn't have WLS and just seeing my friend 70 lbs lighter than me in less then 2 months got me in my feelings lol ill continue to do it the natural way!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I always told myself I wouldn't have WLS and just seeing my friend 70 lbs lighter than me in less then 2 months got me in my feelings lol ill continue to do it the natural way!

You may think 70 pounds in 2 months is great but in all reality it isn't. It is not just fat he is losing.

ETA for clarity
  • PaintergirlJo
    PaintergirlJo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The WLS option is something that would strip the joy of eating from you. I have two ladies at work who have gone down this road and they are miserable. One has lost weight but can't eat properly ... the other one has only lost a minimal amount and is unhappy all of the time. The support after surgery is non existent and you'd be better off doing it naturally with heaps of support from in here. Plus the buzz you'd get from the sense of achievement would be amazing! Good luck
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have family members that have done it....nothing to envy. I think your success is wonderful and you're learning the strategies to maintain the loss. My family members were not so lucky...one is obese again...because they never learnt how to handle CICO.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In my opinion WLS should only be considered if you have serious medical issues that require the fast weight loss. My mom was a perfect candidate with the major issues she had. She has lost 150+ lbs with WLS, but not without issues. She also can no longer eat many foods she once ate. I'd personally rather lose and be able to eat the occasional piece of cake too ;) I am glad she had it done though, because it pretty much saved her life. I just don't feel that relatively healthy people should get it done.

I was up to 258 lbs back this past July. I have since lost 83 lbs just using MFP and I feel great. I have 37 more lbs to go to reach a healthy weight. That was a total of 9 months to lose that and I am aiming to lose the rest by the end of this year hopefully.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I, too, have considered WLS. But It requires life long commitment and discipline, IMO, more than with non-surgical weight loss. It isn't a quick fix-- statistically only 50% of the weight comes off after surgery for the majority. 4 women in my family and 4 friends have had WLS and seeing what they have been through and how they have to eat for the rest of their lives and still struggle to lose the weight and keep it off while not being able to eat normally, as well as dealing with the side effects associated with malabsorption and malnutrition, I know that I personally do not have the discipline or commitment to have the surgery right now.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It seems to help some people, but I suspect it has more to do with giving people an incentive to eat at around 1,000 calories per day than it does with the surgery. You would be better off taking the money you would spend on surgery and use it to buy a nice bicycle or some exercise equipment. Maybe hire a personal trainer.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Ive had wls. It is just a tool

I was 387lb and very very ill. I had tried numerous methods including a GP approved vlcd that left me with deficiencies and GP prescribed gym who bless them banned me as they were worried about how ill i was. My GP did bloods several times telling me they were normal

I went thru a tier 3 programme (uk based, you have to prove you can comply, i did 18 months where the rest of my group did 6 months)

It was during this time i was copied in to letters sent berating my GP for not treating me for hypothyroidism and several other autoimmune diseases. Yup my doctor lied when they told me my bloods were normal

Post sugery i lost alot slower than others but in my seminar group others lost between 3 and 5 stone then regained. I lost 13 stone. I can eat anything going, i choose not to

I exercised, the others didnt. I took up the gym, running, swimming etc

I have had a bit of a regain, i had a horrendous pregnancy, lost one twin, developed hypoglycaemia, emergency stitch placed, hospitalised and gave birth at 25 weeks

I still have to deal with nasty comments from people (usually overweight acquaintances) who like to loudly announce how i didnt lose the weight, that surgery did. I police what goes in my mouth, one such group were sat at a cafe with me. I was eating salad they had fish and chips with a side order of cheese toastie and dessert. But yep its a line of staples.

I was also the one getting my *kitten* out of bed at 5am to exercise before starting the day but then im berated for being stupid, they dont get up till 8am i should be the same

Just focus on you and what you want to do
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

70lbs in 2 months is not a good thing!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would not take the step/risk of surgery and everything after since you are losing at a good rate without it.
    WLS or not you will have to work to lose weight and keep it off. It isn't easier to do WLS just a different drastic way of reducing calorie intake.
    Fast weight loss isn't better. Try not to compare to others.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    17 pounds is really good! Congratulations!
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I know several people who've lost weight with wls and have gained all the weight back plus some, and I know several people who've lost weight without wls and have gained all the weight back, plus some. The reality is whatever route we chose, statistically speaking most of us will fail at long term weight loss adherence ie maintenance.

Maybe your friend will be a statistical anomaly and beat the odds, going the route he's chosen. And maybe you will, going a different route. Only time will tell (for all of us).
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend avoiding the weight loss surgery. Aside from from the downsides of undergoing surgery, you don't need it and it is ultimately less effective. I personally know several people who have had WLS and yes, they lost weight but only to a point and then started regaining the weight because they never learned healthy eating habits. I have followed the exact same process as MFP and I have dropped 140 pounds, now have visible abs, eat great, and at this point, the healthy habits needed to keep the weight off long term are well ingrained.
  • aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Another vote for not doing surgery. If you lost 17lbs already you have already lost pretty near 20 percent of what you want. Or, you have shown that can do what is needed to lose the weight in what I consider a far better way. I agree with others to thrown the jealousy aspect aside and just continue losing naturally. As well it will set your lifestyle and eating habits up for better overall health down the road. Keep doing what you are doing and best of luck:):):)
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My sister had WLS; It's not something I would like. 10 years post WLS, She still has so many dietary restrictions and chronic vitamin deficiencies. It just doesn't seem like something I could live with.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Surgery like that is pretty serious. Because your friend will now be limited to eating only a few things. And it's NOT uncommon for people who aren't mentally prepared for it to go from one habit (eating too much because they can't anymore) to drinking more, gambling, or some other behavior to fulfill the reason that they may have had an issue with food. Hopefully he's consulting a therapist about it because just forcing himself to not eat is only one step to not letting it happen again. People CAN regain after weight loss surgery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've known a few WLS folks, and I had considered it as a last-ditch option before I came to MFP. Just like many things, WLS is great for some and not for others. It doesn't fix anything. The person still has to do the work to lose and maintain, and there can be some side effects that make metabolism a little janky.

I can tell you a friend who had WLS and has done well with it, but seeing her agonize over a list of can/can't foods really put me off from it. I totally get being jealous/envious of the rapid weight loss.

On the other hand, I've been really working at weight loss on MFP since September. I've lost 70+ lbs and am 70% to my goal and I eat anything that fits into my calories and didn't have to give up a single food I didn't want to give up. For me, that has been the real win. I know I will reach my goal in time, and I will have built up the eating and exercise habits along the way to maintain it.

Like many things, WLS may be right for some and not right for others. I certainly don't frown on it if it's something someone feels they have to do to get their life back. But, it's not a cure, and there is still a lot of work to be done.