Need Assistance. Want to have Fruit but trying to limit Sugars... ( as close to 0 as I can)

Options
I love fruits but I am trying to kick the sugar thing and I realized that over 3/4 of my sugar on my log is coming from Fruits.... Any suggestions on Fruits that are low in Sugar but taste good still.. or should I not worry about the natural sugars in fruits and veggys and try to zero out the refined sugars...

Any input or assistance would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Use this here application to decide which fruits you wish to use your limited sugar intake on.

There's also nothing inherently wrong with refined sugar, I imagine a cup of tea with a fresh sugar cane would be rather unwieldy.
  • TejahBee
    TejahBee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can cut your sugars in half regarding fruit in the way I did, and feel like you are having a treat, and also getting your fats. Food process fruit to a smooth paste. However much fruit you have, (measure after blending) mix together 2% milk and water with no cal sweetener with it. (Example, 2 cups fruit, 1 cup milk, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sweetener). Throw it back in the freezer. We eat it as ice cream, and you get your fruit. :)
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating fruit.
    The USDA recommends 1-1/2 cups per day for women over 30.
    Cutting back on processed foods, which contain added sodium and sugar, and sugary beverages, may be beneficial. Personal choice as long as you are within your calorie budget for weight loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't see any particular reason to worry about fruit or the sugar from it unless you have a specific medical problem. That said, if you want sugar around 0, you really can't consume fruit (and even vegetables have sugar). Berries and of course avocado are about the lowest sugar fruits, but even berries have some -- I commonly get about 8 g or so from the blueberries I often have at breakfast.

I think the thing is to consider WHY you are trying to get sugar close to 0. You may decide you have good reasons to do so, and that includes fruit, or you may not. The question is what your goals are and do you think they are worthwhile.

Personally, I limit foods with lots of added sugar since they also tend to have lots of fat, not a lot of other nutrients, and to be calorie bombs, although that doesn't mean I never eat them. I don't worry about sugar from vegetables and fruits and even feel good if I have a lot of sugar from vegetables in a day, as it's a sign I've been eating as I like. However, you may have other concerns/goals.

Fact is, fruit has sugar, though, so if you want to actually cut it out fruit is not compatible with that.
  • jgled
    jgled Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have berries strawberries.black.raspberry.blue. And apples only
  • PlummerBecky
    PlummerBecky Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose weight much quicker is I reduce my sugar... I also use to drink Pepsi..( a six pack a day at one point) and I cut back that but I just want to get healthier and if looked at the number of sugar that MFP gave and if I eat a banana and a cup of grapes ... I am almost over the half way point in sugars with just 2 items.

I think I will just try to eat that natural food with sugars and see if the weight still will come off. I am a plateau and trying anything to get off the plateau and start losing again.

Thanks everyone for your input
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jgled wrote: »

Why only berries and apples?
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

Berries are low in carbs/sugar, and apples are okay in moderation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Gosh, even when I was controlling my diabetes with diet I could not drop my consumption of sugars to zero. Frankly I had a lot more trouble with refined carbs and rice.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Don't stop eating fruit. Fruit isn't bad for you!! Eating too much, and not moving enough....that is usually the biggest problem when trying to lose weight.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The fruits lowest in sugar's are berries but fruit/sugar won't be the reason you are at a plateau it's incredibly normal to get stuck for a bit. Battle through and if you see no movement on the scale for 4-6 weeks then start looking at lowering calories a bit, on that note since you started losing has your calorie allotment lowered at all automatically? You may need to adjust it if it hasn't, go into goals and (re) input your weight that'll do the trick.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose weight much quicker is I reduce my sugar... I also use to drink Pepsi..( a six pack a day at one point) and I cut back that but I just want to get healthier and if looked at the number of sugar that MFP gave and if I eat a banana and a cup of grapes ... I am almost over the half way point in sugars with just 2 items.

I think I will just try to eat that natural food with sugars and see if the weight still will come off. I am a plateau and trying anything to get off the plateau and start losing again.

Thanks everyone for your input

Weight will come off if you consume fewer calories than you burn, regardless of how much sugar (natural/added/refined/brown/white/festive easter colored) you eat.
  • fupthesides
    fupthesides Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for raspberries, blackberries, strawberries & blueberries first. Mostly in that order. I like raspberries because they have pretty good fiber (I often eat it with jicama) and I can have my fruit fix. I have everything else in moderation except Mango and bananas they are too high in sugar for me and I can't eat just a little.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, but I eat fruit all the time and don't get spikes in my sugar especially when I pair it with protein like nuts or cheese. But most berries are low on the index. My favorite dessert lately is berries and whipped cream (its low carb, who would have thought whipped cream was low carb i had no idea) I also eat apples alot.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Berries are low in carbs/sugar, and apples are okay in moderation.

This seems to be based on the assumption that other fruits aren't okay in moderation. Is that your position?

Having an apple with lunch is good, but an orange is off limits?

I don't think thats what they are saying...but I know for me, I dont eat alot of certain fruits bc i am diabetic and they spike my sugar more than others. Like bananas, I don't eat much bananas anymore but I do have the occasional one. I forgot to say in my original comment I eat alot of Cuties with yogurt in the morning for breakfast and my sugar always stays low. Berries are lower sugar fruit so if someone wanted to cut carbs berries would be a good fruit. BigBerry did not pay me for this endorsement lol
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've seen a couple anti sugar documentaries on netflix the last week. I think they are very poor quality in that make it out as pure evil rather than point to moderation and that fruit is perfectly fine.