feeling bulky

Options
I've been weight lifting for a few months now and I really like the muscle and strength i've gained, however my arms are starting to become too big for my sleeves and my legs are feeling bulky.
i'm 5'4" female, about 120lbs (i don't weigh myself)
my average routine is about a half hour of lifting 3-4 times per week usually (chest/tricep/shoulders day, legs, and then biceps/back/abs) on my lift days i do LISS (walking on a treadmill) and on my non-lift days I do yoga/walk outside.
Any tips for shedding fat and avoiding the bulkiness without losing muscle?! thank you!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Are you in a deficit? Because that's how you lose the fat.

ETA. Typo
  • lkeskih1
    lkeskih1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh and measure yourself to get an idea of what's going on. If you aren't eating in a deficit, you will be gaining fat with your muscles. In order to shed fat, eat in a deficit and keep up your lifting routine.

I do measure...my arms are about .5 inch bigger than last month. All other measures are pretty consistent. How much deficit would you think? MOST days I'm in a deficit probably 5 days/week
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are already fairly light. I would use a 10% deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you gained since you started lifting?
  • lkeskih1
    lkeskih1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Between 5-10lbs over 7 months. I don't weigh myself anymore but my waist measurement is down 1-1.5inches. Everywhere else is measuring bigger.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    lkeskih1 wrote: »

Between 5-10lbs over 7 months. I don't weigh myself anymore but my waist measurement is down 1-1.5inches. Everywhere else is measuring bigger.

Sounds like you are in a slight calorie surplus then and did an unintentional bulk. Decrease your calories a little bit, keep lifting and track accurately.