Always going over protein

Options
Hi All,

I just started MFP a few days ago and I'm hitting a small rough patch. According to my food diary, I should be eating about 48 grams of protein each day. I've gone over everyday so far. Yesterday, I was over by 17 grams! I've really been trying to watch and log what I eat. But it seems like between a scrambled egg, oatnut bread, deli meat, and a chicken breast, I can't win. Any ideas or advice?

Replies

• Meggo3
    Meggo3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always go over protein too. But I've still lost weight. The thing about protein is, I go over because I go to the gym a lot to lift weights and the amount that they have on here that you should eat is way too low if you are trying to build any sort of muscle mass. I'm only supposed to eat like 50 something grams of protein, on average I am about 20 to 30 grams over everyday. But as long as it's lean protein it's really good for you! And you shouldn't worry about going over. Most people don't even eat the amount of protein they should in a day. I promise you it will not affect your weight loss goals! I still hit mine every week going over the recommended every day.

I hope that helps. =]
  • owlfan68
    owlfan68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The one area you are absolutely okay and need not worry about with going over is protein. Protein aids in building/repairing/toning muscles which ultimately help with weightloss :-)
  • tanyizzle
    tanyizzle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with going over on protein, Unless you have some medical reasons. If you are working out your body need more protein anyways, I wouldn't worry about going over. :)
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that going over on protein didn't matter, and also fiber ....I would be interested in input on that as well. Bump!
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    I really don't like the set up that MFP has. I created my own goals (in settings) to follow a plan of 50% carb, 30% protien and 20% fat. I like that much better and it is in tune with my eating plan.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I actually set my protein to be 40% of my diet so it's at like 140g/day and I usually get up to about 100g+. Protein is great for you and you don't have to worry about going over on that since your body needs it for restoring muscle (assuming you are doing strength training, which you should :))
  • Justcallmejenny
    Options
    I never worry about protein either :drinker:
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Mfp is very low on the protein goal. You can manually change it if you go to goals and then click on change goals and do the custom goal setting. I always strive for at least 100 grams or more of protein a day. If you are trying to build lean muscle, then you want to make sure you are getting enough protein. Good luck in your weight loss journey.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. MFP has protein levels way too low and I can't figure out how to change it. I don't know why they are so low. Lots of good "diet" foods like plain Greek yogurt are high in protein and should be eaten. Plus proteins keep you satisfied longer and don't make you crave more food 2 hours later.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've read in several reputable places that you should get 1 gram of protein a day for every pound of weight, so I agree that MFP tends to set this way too low by default.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on how to adjust protein levels on MFP. I agree, they are way too low.
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I read the other day, on yahoo I think, that you should eat between 10% and 35% of your body weight in protein. So I should eat between 19 and 66 grams of protein daily. I'm usually in the upper end of that. MFP changes my protein goals daily depending on how much exercise I get that day.
  • xjlishey1
    xjlishey1 Posts: 286
    Options
    Hi All,

I just started MFP a few days ago and I'm hitting a small rough patch. According to my food diary, I should be eating about 48 grams of protein each day. I've gone over everyday so far. Yesterday, I was over by 17 grams! I've really been trying to watch and log what I eat. But it seems like between a scrambled egg, oatnut bread, deli meat, and a chicken breast, I can't win. Any ideas or advice?

Me too...not a big deal.. we need the protein for strength training
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Unless you're on a low carb diet, you really don't need to worry all that much about going over on protein. If you like, you can tweak your goals to reflect the protein you're actually consuming. It's based on percentage of total calories, so adjusting that will auto adjust your fat and carbs. As long as you're seeing results, I don't think you need to worry about lowering your protein intake.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question I was trying to figure out how to lower the carbs and up the protein now I know how :happy: :happy:
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. MFP has protein levels way too low and I can't figure out how to change it. I don't know why they are so low. Lots of good "diet" foods like plain Greek yogurt are high in protein and should be eaten. Plus proteins keep you satisfied longer and don't make you crave more food 2 hours later.

You can change the protein setting by going to home, then goals, click change goals at the bottom and then click custom goals. This will allow you to change the percentage of carbs, protein and fat.
  • Violin11
    Violin11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your help! I'm going to be changing the values so that they include more protein in my diet. Have a good evening!!