High Protein Snacks/Food on a Budget? Help!

Options
Rajions
Rajions Posts: 128 Member
I'm just not into whey protein or any protein shake. I can't get past the texture/taste. I really love the Oikos Triple Zero yogurt. It has 15g of protein, 6 grams of sugar, and only 120 calories. The thing is, I don't want to eat them all just to get my recommended amount of protein a day. That's tooooo expensive. I try to get as much protein from the food I have at home, but I never get my full dose of protein. I don't want to lose my muscles, I want to build them (not bulk). Do you guys know of any high protein snacks or have any tips for food on a budget?

Ik there's probably articles about the food on a budget, but I would like to have tips from people that are really on a budget.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    chicken, pork tenderloin, turkey are all relatively inexpensive sources - I buy the seasoned pork loins - normally between $7-10 and it feeds me for 3-4 days - the other week, they were 2 for 10, so I bought a few to stock up

make sure to check flyers for grocery stores - buy what is on sale
  • Rajions
    Options
    chicken, pork tenderloin, turkey are all relatively inexpensive sources - I buy the seasoned pork loins - normally between $7-10 and it feeds me for 3-4 days - the other week, they were 2 for 10, so I bought a few to stock up

make sure to check flyers for grocery stores - buy what is on sale

Awesome thanks!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I agree that sales are your best bet.

You can also turn milk in to yogurt.

All the beans and legumes are fair sources of protein and inexpensive too.
  • jaelbaby12001
    jaelbaby12001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tuna pouches, eggs, beans! Also when shopping get the reduced price meat (the stuff getting ready to go out of date) and cook it all up in one big prep session then freeze the cooked meat.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    also eggs are a great source of protein (but whole eggs also have higher fat) - if you can swing egg whites - I mix 1 whole egg with egg whites (egg whites are like 5g protein/0fat/0carbs for each 46g)
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Rajions wrote: »
    I'm just not into whey protein or any protein shake. I can't get past the texture/taste. I really love the Oikos Triple Zero yogurt. It has 15g of protein, 6 grams of sugar, and only 120 calories. The thing is, I don't want to eat them all just to get my recommended amount of protein a day. That's tooooo expensive. I try to get as much protein from the food I have at home, but I never get my full dose of protein. I don't want to lose my muscles, I want to build them (not bulk). Do you guys know of any high protein snacks or have any tips for food on a budget?

Ik there's probably articles about the food on a budget, but I would like to have tips from people that are really on a budget.

Buy big containers of yogurt; it's cheaper that way and the macros are usually better. Add a scoop of chocolate protein; it mixes well and tastes like chocolate pudding.
  • shaneozouf
    shaneozouf Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lean chicken, lean pork, and lean beef are the best sources of animal protein in my opinion. However, they are expensive. You need to try and find them bulk (sometimes I can buy a pork tenderloin of around 20 lbs for $15 at No Frills) then cut and freeze.

It really is too bad you don't like protein powder, they are the quickest way to add protein. I am lactose intolerant, so I had to find a protein powder that is not made of whey, or that is lactose free (whey isolate)
  • Rajions
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »

Buy big containers of yogurt; it's cheaper that way and the macros are usually better. Add a scoop of chocolate protein; it mixes well and tastes like chocolate pudding.

• Rajions
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »

• deannalfisher
    Options
    what about a non-whey protein? I don't like that texture, but egg white protein works for me
  • Rajions
    Options
    what about a non-whey protein? I don't like that texture, but egg white protein works for me

I've never looked into non-whey protein. Haven't heard of it actually.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    there are different protein powders you can try - whey, egg white, vegan - some places offer sample packets that you could buy to try out (like GNC/vitaminworld)
  • GoldBikiniGoals
    GoldBikiniGoals Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat around 130g of protein per day, but have a really small grocery budget so I have to make really smart choices. Protein powder is expensive up front, but can certainly help you reach your goals and there are lots of options besides whey out there if you don't like the taste/texture or find it upsets your stomach.

I'm not a big fan of powder -- I've tried a few, for me it's taste more than anything -- but I do eat protein bars, with the caveat being that I can't afford them at full price. Most stores and lots of places online have a recently expired or about to expire sections, I just bought 36 bars for $27 plus tax, which is less than the normal cost for a single 12 pack of the same brand. I have a few friends who make their own bars (using powder, nuts, oatmeal etc) who average a cost of about $0.80-$1.20 per serving. There's lots of recipes online.

I eat lots of greek yogurt, grab blocks of cheese as well as cheese strings when they're on sale. You can get cans of tuna (15-25g protein depending on size) for under $1 a piece. Beans are high protein and especially if you hit a bulk place and buy dry you can get high volume for very low cost. Look for good deals on meat -- if you have a farmers market they tend to have even better deals than grocery stores and near the end of the day, they're really open to price negotiation. This works great for anything fresh really. Don't forget too that depending on your veggie choice, you can pick up a decent amount of protein too.

A lot of cost effectiveness comes down to meal prep as well; if you can plan a couple meals that use the same protein source prepped in different ways it can often be lower in cost than planning a whole bunch of unrelated meals. Chicken is awesome for that. I'll throw 4-5 good sized breasts into the oven with different seasonings on. I'll make chicken salad sandwiches or wraps with the chicken for lunches, throw it in ceasar salad for dinner, then use it again another day with just some veggies and rice or just eat it cold to round out a snack. I tend to bulk cook in the beginning of the week and then just pick my sides as I go.
  • MegaTunez11
    MegaTunez11 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    tuna and eggs are probably the cheapest!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Make your own Greek yogurt. A gallon of milk is $4 and it makes a lot of yogurt. PM me if you don't know how to make yogurt.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hard boil a bunch of eggs and keep them in the fridge. (And I always have whole eggs - I never eat only the whites.)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    beef jerky
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @rajions you can always make your own yogurt. It will run the cost of milk. That's pretty much it.

I do a half gallon at a time.
    Scald 1/2 gallon of milk (it should be good right before a boil. You can use a food thermometer if you like. Temp should be about 185F)
    Let cool to about 100-110 degrees (like bath water) and stir in 1/2 cup of yogurt.
    Cover with a tight fitting lid and leave in your over with the oven light on over night. In the morning it's yogurt. If you like it thick, like greek yogurt, you can strain it.