I have 45 minutes 3x a week to spend at the gym ++

Options
Planet Fitness just opened a location on my way to work and I could't resist the $1 down, $10/month offer. Right now I have allotted myself 45 minutes 3x a week at the gym. I am WAY out of shape but, I have been walking 4x a week on my lunch hour so I am not totally sedentary. I'm looking for recommendations on what I should do to maximize my limited gym time.

If needed, I'm 34 years old, 5'4" and 206 lbs.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are and what you enjoy doing. I personally do not like classes but that is an option. I can get a weightlifting session done in 45 minutes. Lots of options just find what you like.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Do they have one of the 30 minute lift circuits? My gym (YouFit) has one. It's like a mix of machines that are all groups together and it takes 30 minutes to complete the circuit. You hit all of the major muscle groups. You start off with machine #1 setting it to a challenging weight. You do it for like 90 seconds. Then you move to the center where there are steps and you do that for 60 seconds. You rotate this for the different machines and it takes exactly 30 minutes. I think it's great for beginners because it's disciplined. I do this and sometimes walk afterwards for 15-20 minutes. I also like to try different classes sometimes to mix things up. (The classes cost extra at YouFit).
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Do they have one of the 30 minute lift circuits? My gym (YouFit) has one. It's like a mix of machines that are all groups together and it takes 30 minutes to complete the circuit. You hit all of the major muscle groups. You start off with machine #1 setting it to a challenging weight. You do it for like 90 seconds. Then you move to the center where there are steps and you do that for 60 seconds. You rotate this for the different machines and it takes exactly 30 minutes. I think it's great for beginners because it's disciplined. I do this and sometimes walk afterwards for 15-20 minutes. I also like to try different classes sometimes to mix things up. (The classes cost extra at YouFit).

This is what I was thinking too. The 30min circuit will give you a mix of resistance work and cardio. I think I would warm up for 5mins on a treadmill...then do the 30min circuit...then 5mins again on the treadmill.

Or....if your schedule allows for walking or some sort of movement outside the gym, I would just go for the weights.

Just depends what you want to do.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If it weren't Planet Fitness, I'd recommend Stronglifts 5X5.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    mix it up...do they have kettle balls, step ups, trx? You can get in a great workout in 45 mins...you will do hreat
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    45 minutes is enough time to get in a good workout. I would definitely incorporate weight lifting. Perhaps 20 minutes cardio machine of your choice and the rest machines/weights. If you can get some walking done outside of the gym then maybe just weights. I agree that the 30 minute circuits might be a good thing but I never liked them and preferred my own thing. You need to find what works for you and what you will stick to
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My main goal right now is to lose weight and to get a stronger core. The gym does have the 30 minute express workout available, I think I'll check it out when I go this afternoon! I am SUPER intimidated by the equipment and I want to make sure I don't hurt myself by doing an exercise wrong. I've watched some videos but, I think I should sign up for a class or two that explains how everything works :smiley:
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! My main goal right now is to lose weight and to get a stronger core. The gym does have the 30 minute express workout available, I think I'll check it out when I go this afternoon! I am SUPER intimidated by the equipment and I want to make sure I don't hurt myself by doing an exercise wrong. I've watched some videos but, I think I should sign up for a class or two that explains how everything works :smiley:

We didn't join PF but did tour it. According to what they sad then they will show you how to use the equipment. I think if you stick to the machines and don't overextend your range of motion it should be great.

Weight training really does help as you are losing.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

This is what I was thinking too. The 30min circuit will give you a mix of resistance work and cardio. I think I would warm up for 5mins on a treadmill...then do the 30min circuit...then 5mins again on the treadmill.

Or....if your schedule allows for walking or some sort of movement outside the gym, I would just go for the weights.

I forgot to add. At the Youtube circuit, there is a stoplight that tells you when to GO and when to STOP for each interval. It's nice that I'm not having to constantly check a watch or phone. I just keep my eye on that stop light and rotate machines, step, machines, step and 30 minutes usually flies by.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

cnbbnc wrote: »

I forgot to add. At the Youtube circuit, there is a stoplight that tells you when to GO and when to STOP for each interval. It's nice that I'm not having to constantly check a watch or phone. I just keep my eye on that stop light and rotate machines, step, machines, step and 30 minutes usually flies by.

I use a timer app on my phone. I can preset the intervals I need, then it just beeps at each change. No need to watch anything.
  • AgidGirl
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    Planet Fitness just opened a location on my way to work and I could't resist the $1 down, $10/month offer. Right now I have allotted myself 45 minutes 3x a week at the gym. I am WAY out of shape but, I have been walking 4x a week on my lunch hour so I am not totally sedentary. I'm looking for recommendations on what I should do to maximize my limited gym time.

If needed, I'm 34 years old, 5'4" and 206 lbs.

Thanks so much!

Since, you say you are very out of shape and overweight, I suggest that you focus on developing a workout HABIT and learn the basics of "how to work out", regardless of what the workout is. Most of us started where you are. Yes you want a great workout, but it is important that you stay within your abilities so you don't get frustrated, discouraged, and injured while trying to "maximize limited gym time." Any new workout you do will be more than you're doing now, so you will make progress. Any class you take will most like be far beyond what you comprehend is possible, so you will get a great workout. Be prepared to pace yourself and ask the instructor for modifications. A circuit that combines weights and cardio is a great way to start. 30 min per session is probably adequate for the first month or two. It is realistic to think you will see small steps of progress every week. Keep reasonable, not inflated, expectations. Everything is not going to change in a few weeks just because you joined a gym and go regularly. Keep up the walking and increase it as you are able.

Thanks for the fantastic advice. I think you're spot on that at this point I just need to be committed to going and building that routine. Maybe I'll just try a few different things and see how it goes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, try out some different classes etc to see what you enjoy.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    . . . and when you find something that you enjoy, get googling. there's so much out there about pretty much anything now. and the first few visits are the scariest. once you're actually there, it's easier to figure out what works for you and what really isn't your thang.

case in point: i took a circuit class and it turned me into a compound lifter. only went to one session of the class, but idk if i would ever have met a barbell if i hadn't done that session.
  • AgidGirl
    Options
    Yesterday I did 25 minutes on the elliptical and half of the 30 minute circuit training. By the end of the circuit training the sweat was dripping on the floor. Today I'm a little sore but I'm also SO excited to go back again today after work!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    IIRC, that 30-minute section has you doing steps (cardio) in between each station, right? If so, then you could maybe try less cardio at the beginning - say 5-10 minutes. Then do the 30-minute routine. That would leave you 5-10 after for some light stretching.