Binged my way back from low 170's to 180's in a month :(

Options
cartersmom06
cartersmom06 Posts: 68 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So unhappy with my progress. The last month or so I have been sabotoging my diet by eating lots of sugar and drinking too much alcohol. I knew the weight was creeping back on but I didn't think I did that much damage. Today I stepped on the scale and it read 181. I was down to 173 a month ago! :'( I feel like a complete failure...I'm so stuck in a rut and need a push to get me back on track! My only wish is to lose 20 pounds! Why can't I do this!!?? Please help me get back on track!

Replies

• cartersmom06
    cartersmom06 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am going to try my best to do the same! I wish weight loss happened as fast as weight gain!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Change your attitude toward food, even just for temporary. Convince yourself that food (for now) is only for nourishment. Eat and eat only healthful stuff when you need. Identify the moments that you eat for fun, out of habit, eg munching chips in TV time, must have that bowl of ice cream, and drop those moments.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have done the same thing after losing 15lbs over the course of about 3 months. It's really disappointing but I know I have nothing or one one else to blame but myself. I am the only one that can get myself back on track which I am doing as of today.

We have to dig deep and find that drive and motivation that we had when we started this journey. It's there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    8 lbs is not the end of the world. Get rid of the binge foods resume weighing food & logging. Weigh yourself at least 1x week, I prefer daily, to hold yourself accountable..
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    "STOP IT!"
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    You'll probably drop a few lbs of water right off the bat. Start tracking TODAY and keep a modest deficit
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    We have to dig deep and find that drive and motivation that we had when we started this journey. It's there.

Yup. Beating yourself up will get you nowhere. You just have to make yourself start again. I've been pretty sloppy myself lately, and I also gained a bunch of weight while on vacation last week. I am not happy sitting here with my salad while my son chows down on Chinese food, but I know if I don't pull myself together I'll create an even bigger mess.

You may have to force yourself to start but once you get the momentum going you'll be alright. Getting started sucks for everybody. You just have to do it. And you can do it.

• dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    You'll probably drop a few lbs of water right off the bat. Start tracking TODAY and keep a modest deficit

This! I put on 4 lbs overnight from overdoing on easter. Most will be gone in a couple of days.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I am going to try my best to do the same! I wish weight loss happened as fast as weight gain!

If this snuck up on you then I expect you stopped tracking your calories in, and drinking can do some real damage there. Just make the commitment that you will religiously track your diet till you reach your goal, tracking will keep you on task.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I hate that it's this way, but for me -- drinking and gaining go hand-in-hand. I'm jealous of those that can, but I simply can't lose weight and drink regularly at the same time. ONE glass of wine on a Friday night out to dinner is okay, but the minute I bring wine to the house, all bets are off. Even a few drinks sets me off to binge and worse, not exercise. Just me.......
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    The last 2 weeks I have made horrible food choices and today I am back on track. We know how to do this. Start fresh and do what you did before when you were losing.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Just start right where you are and make a fresh start with renewed interest and a new plan. You can do this. Don't beat yourself up. Positive affirmations l!
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

Yup. Beating yourself up will get you nowhere. You just have to make yourself start again. I've been pretty sloppy myself lately, and I also gained a bunch of weight while on vacation last week. I am not happy sitting here with my salad while my son chows down on Chinese food, but I know if I don't pull myself together I'll create an even bigger mess.

You may have to force yourself to start but once you get the momentum going you'll be alright. Getting started sucks for everybody. You just have to do it. And you can do it.
    Yeah :smiley: I always remember that the begining is always the hardest, and to start is to begin

• elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25 lbs last year with MFP and kept it off all summer. And then gained 10 lbs from November to December. Got "serious" again in January but ended up just gaining an extra couple of pounds with a constant cycle of guilt, binge, guilt.

I've started over and this time, purposefully incorporating 10-20% of junky empty calories into my plans. Its been helping and I'm down about a pound in the past 2 weeks. I still haven't been logging strictly so weight loss is slow for now. Plan to tighten this up and start using that kitchen scale more often.

I keep telling myself - I know how to do this. I've done this before. I can do this again.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I gained 10-15 over the winter holidays. The thing is, it came back off really easily (compared to losing the first time). Some of it was probably water retention. Just get back to good habits and keep at it. You can do this.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    If this snuck up on you then I expect you stopped tracking your calories in, and drinking can do some real damage there. Just make the commitment that you will religiously track your diet till you reach your goal, tracking will keep you on task.

Just a thought that you may want to amend that to "indefinitely".

Then after a solid while maintaining go ahead and consider/reconsider your logging.

The risk of changing your approach once you get to maintenance is the obvious.

For myself I chose to change pretty much nothing to start.
  • CarolWhoDat
    CarolWhoDat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I gained back 20 pounds and have reluctantly climbed back onto the wagon when I found I couldn't button my pants. LOL When I want to cheat, I immediately tell myself, "NO," and then quickly change my train of thought from food to something else. After a week of training myself to do that, it becomes habitual and I don't think of food nearly as much.

You know you can do it. Just begin and apply yourself. Good luck.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Don't we all. But of course it's not really possible. There is almost no end to how much extra food one can consume - you could eat 24 hours a day. There IS absolutely a limit to what you can reduce your calories by, since you can only reduce down to zero. And how long would you make it on that?? ;)
  • coffeeceltic
    coffeeceltic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts. Needed this tonight. Had lost weight for my holiday in march. Lovely 2 week a/i and only put on 4lbs......then in the last 2 weeks eating myself fat, cant / wont stop eating all the wrong stuff, not exercising, and the easter bunny could be iinside me. ...cant get motivated and feel sorry for myself. ..