Gym Motivation

Options
I have another 50 lbs to lose and will be joining my local gym today. I was a member of a gym about 8 months ago until I moved but didn't see much results while I went ( and I know i DIDNT GO ENOUGH)

What are some recommendations for good weight loss exercises for a beginner... I have also had 3 back surgeries so I have to be careful

what keeps you motivated?

Replies

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If your gym has classes I'd start there, if not maybe a personal trainer to make sure you're doing everything right, or a workout buddy.
  • essexgirl1971
    essexgirl1971 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i started at a gym for the first time three months ago. pilates is something id recommend s there are different levels for each exercise and my teacher says its good for those with ongoing injuries. i will say my teacher is very good so its finding a class that suits you, i dont like the other pilates class at my gym. once your core is stronger i would think you could do more. maybe speak to the surgeon who performed the ops for his or her advice. when you say gym didn't yield results is that in weight terms or how toned you looked. if its weight remember muscle weighs more than fat . I've been going to gym four times a week, two sessions in gym, body pump class and Pilates class and ive lost 29lb in 14 weeks. i also walk daily for 4 miles with my dogs.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jmcgreggor wrote: »
    I have another 50 lbs to lose and will be joining my local gym today. I was a member of a gym about 8 months ago until I moved but didn't see much results while I went ( and I know i DIDNT GO ENOUGH)

What are some recommendations for good weight loss exercises for a beginner... I have also had 3 back surgeries so I have to be careful

what keeps you motivated?

Change your mind set. You don't lose weight in the gym. You hit the gym for other health benefits, but you lose weight by being in a calorie deficit.

I've gone from 330 to 245 and still haven't been to a gym, although I have been using a treadmill at home. But weight loss is primarily from reducing your calorie intake. Put your stats into MFP, log your food as accurately as possible (get a food scale) and go with the calorie estimates.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My gym partner (my bf)
    New gym clothes (so perty lol)
    Results (I go about 4-5 times a week)
    Trying new exercises or new programs
    The way it makes me feel (when I'm there it's all about working on 'ME')

Find an activity you enjoy and your more likely to stick with it. Keep going
  • jmcgreggor
    jmcgreggor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My gym partner (my bf)
    New gym clothes (so perty lol)
    Results (I go about 4-5 times a week)
    Trying new exercises or new programs
    The way it makes me feel (when I'm there it's all about working on 'ME')

Find an activity you enjoy and your more likely to stick with it. Keep going

Thank you... actually trying to sweet talk the BF into going so it will keep me motivated also. I work 12 hour days so by the time I get home I am already so exhausted