CICO, It's a math formula

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I got a question that I need help clarifying....

IF CICO is the only application that we need to think about as far as losing weight....why when I read about different body types they make it seem like CICO isn't the only thing that applies as far losing weight? For instance they would say one body type is easy at losing weight vs. the other one being very hard to lose weight. (I hope this make sense.)

The different body types...
    Ectomorph: Lean and long, with difficulty building muscle.
    Endomorph: Big, high body fat, often pear-shaped, with a high tendency to store body fat.
    Mesomorph: Muscular and well-built, with a high metabolism and responsive muscle cells

These have been debunked. They were developed in the 50s (I think) by a psychologist based on his feelz when looking at various body types. It was then twisted by the fitness/diet industry.

CICO is what has been debunked by many professionals in the health field area. No one here knows their CI or even their CO so CICO can not be computed with math. Now net CICO can be calculated after the fact by weighing oneself from time to time.

While CICO can not be directly calculated but net CICO can be deducted that is where CICO could help one estimate how to eat to gain or loss weight.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I find the idea that people mistake thirst for hunger so bizarre, but then I'm someone who always has a drink (usually water, sometimes coffee, because I love it too much, occasionally tea), and who can't imagine eating something without also having something to drink. It used to annoy me on planes when they'd serve the meal before bringing drinks. I'd sit there wondering how anyone was supposed to eat without something to drink with it.

It seems to me when I don't drink several glasses of water a day I tend to be hungrier. I'm not sure if I'm confusing dehydration with hunger but it sure seems to help me not be hungrier.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

IF CICO is the only application that we need to think about as far as losing weight....why when I read about different body types they make it seem like CICO isn't the only thing that applies as far losing weight? For instance they would say one body type is easy at losing weight vs. the other one being very hard to lose weight. (I hope this make sense.)

Endomorph: Big, high body fat, often pear-shaped, with a high tendency to store body fat.
    Mesomorph: Muscular and well-built, with a high metabolism and responsive muscle cells

These have been debunked. They were developed in the 50s (I think) by a psychologist based on his feelz when looking at various body types. It was then twisted by the fitness/diet industry.

CICO is what has been debunked by many professionals in the health field area. No one here knows their CI or even their CO so CICO can not be computed with math. Now net CICO can be calculated after the fact by weighing oneself from time to time.

While CICO can not be directly calculated but net CICO can be deducted that is where CICO could help one estimate how to eat to gain or loss weight.

You don't need absolute numbers to make it work. Both CI and CO are moving targets anyways. The point is to get close enough to effectively make the desired changes while minimizing the risk of harm. That doesn't debunk the equation.

That is true about CICO only being a reality concept. What I said was the professionals have debunked CICO as being more than a helpful tool since CI and CO are basically unknown values in humans. CICO does not stand for provable science.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

You don't need absolute numbers to make it work. Both CI and CO are moving targets anyways. The point is to get close enough to effectively make the desired changes while minimizing the risk of harm. That doesn't debunk the equation.

That is true about CICO only being a reality concept. What I said was the professionals have debunked CICO as being more than a helpful tool since CI and CO are basically unknown values in humans. CICO does not stand for provable science.

It hasnt been debunked... its people dont know how to utilize tools to track it. Peoples inability to use tools doesnt debunk energy balance.

Add to that some people like me are/were totally uneducated about CICO.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

You don't need absolute numbers to make it work. Both CI and CO are moving targets anyways. The point is to get close enough to effectively make the desired changes while minimizing the risk of harm.

That doesn't debunk the equation.

This is it. The bolded part.

So much it that methinks that if GaleHawkins had chosen a better word than "debunk", all of this so called debate would have been done away with. (But where'd the fun be? :))

CI and CO are such moving targets, maybe elusive that it can make Cico a non-consideration (my argument all along). That's the impression I get from GaleHawkins given he includes and emphasizes other values.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

You don't need absolute numbers to make it work. Both CI and CO are moving targets anyways. The point is to get close enough to effectively make the desired changes while minimizing the risk of harm.

That doesn't debunk the equation.

This is it. The bolded part.

So much it that methinks that if GaleHawkins had chosen a better word than "debunk", all of this so called debate would have been done away with. (But where'd the fun be? :))

CI and CO are such moving targets, maybe elusive that it can make Cico a non-consideration (my argument all along). That's the impression I get from GaleHawkins given he includes and emphasizes other values.

They're about as elusive as a snail. Your CO isn't going to vary wildly from one day to another, it just won't be 2500 precisely every day but fluctuate in a range depending on your typical activity. That's where that little thing we like to call "being diligent for 4 weeks and checking how your weight develops" comes in to get that average CO that is good enough. And your CI is entirely in your own hands.

Hey lots of people don't care for snails, don't know them so they are elusive. HA.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

If people can't figure out CO or CI how do they lose or gain weight????
This discussion has been closed.