5❎ 5 fitness program covers all muscles?

Options
Frm MFP i came to know that 5*5 fitness program is best to build and loss fat. But it does not have other exercises. Only 4-5 exercises covers all muscles? Exmple fr chest only barbell press. No incline barbell pres or dumbell pres. No buterfly. Not any other exercise. Similarly no exercises fr others muscles.. What if only 5*5 doesnt gives good shape. Any suggestions?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I found it worked well for all my muscle groups. That being said, Stronglifts isn't the only program that is good. If you want to incorporate accessory lifts, there are programs that do that as well. Have you looked at this thread?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    5x5 isn't a body building type of program, so it's not going to have a whole bunch of accessory/isolation work...it's a raw strength program, and it's a beginner program...more intermediate strength programs add accessory work, but not to the same degree that a bodybuilder's programming would.

It does hit all of the muscles as every movement is a full body compound movement...but it's not going to isolate various parts of those muscles because that's not what the program is designed for.
  • jusjoking
    jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    what is your experience level? if you are more or less a beginner than a 5x5 type program is great. if you've never lifted before then a nice 5x5 program will cause some nice changes to your body

when you start filling out your shirts better etc its not as if people will say "omg, you arent doing any reverse delt flyes are u??" lol

if youve never lifted before then start wiht the 5x5 and get a feel for things etc. if u want to add stuff in a year or whatever, then you will have a nice base built to add to

building a good base of strength/size with compounds is important and useful.

anyone who has spent time in gyms has seen teens etc come in and do tons of arms, pek dek, rear delt etc and next year they look exactly the same
  • alisajjadshah
    alisajjadshah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    jusjoking wrote: »
    what is your experience level? if you are more or less a beginner than a 5x5 type program is great. if you've never lifted before then a nice 5x5 program will cause some nice changes to your body

when you start filling out your shirts better etc its not as if people will say "omg, you arent doing any reverse delt flyes are u??" lol

if youve never lifted before then start wiht the 5x5 and get a feel for things etc. if u want to add stuff in a year or whatever, then you will have a nice base built to add to

anyone who has spent time in gyms has seen teens etc come in and do tons of arms, pek dek, rear delt etc and next year they look exactly the same

I am going gym fr the last two mnths.
    Previously have been doing gym. But not so regularly. I do couple of months and break.
    I want to shred. But dont want to be a HULK. Just a good nice shape. I think I have just need to shred and build a bit.
    Will 5*5 work? And this is thrice a week. Can i do others in between?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    When you do any kind of exercise, you are harming your body.

When you rest after exercise, your body heals the damage, and adapts to get stronger. It's during rest that you gain fitness.

That's why there are rest days. If you don't want to gain fitness, don't rest.
  • jusjoking
    jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jusjoking wrote: »

I am going gym fr the last two mnths.
    Previously have been doing gym. But not so regularly. I do couple of months and break.
    I want to shred. But dont want to be a HULK. Just a good nice shape. I think I have just need to shred and build a bit.
    Will 5*5 work? And this is thrice a week. Can i do others in between?

basically if you are cutting etc then nothing you can do will turn you into the hulk lol. Doing a 5x5 will help you hold on to muscle etc

if anything, maybe add whatever you think u need on the middle day or the last day but most people will advise against it. Adding 2 sets of incline db presses wont destroy the program
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL5x5 for a little over a year, with good success in getting stronger and building muscle. But! I still get sore in weird places from my weekly Pilates class. So it must miss a few spots. :)
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Frm MFP i came to know that 5*5 fitness program is best to build and loss fat. But it does not have other exercises. Only 4-5 exercises covers all muscles? Exmple fr chest only barbell press. No incline barbell pres or dumbell pres. No buterfly. Not any other exercise. Similarly no exercises fr others muscles.. What if only 5*5 doesnt gives good shape. Any suggestions?

5x5 is covers all the complex exercises, here's a breakdown of the key muscles worked.

1. Bench.
    Pectorals, Tricep (both long and medial heads), Front Deltoids

2. Squats
    Hamstring, Gluteus Maximus, Gastrocnemius Medial & Lateral, Quadriceps, Soleus, abdominals.

3. Overhead/Military Press.
    Deltoids, Pec Major, Biceps, Tricep, Serratus, Abdominals

4. Deadlift (this one's a good'un)
    Hamstrings, Gluteus Maximus, Erector Spinae, Latissimus Dorsi, Trapezius, Quadriceps (as stabilisers) Gastrocnemius (as stabilisers), Biceps, Triceps, Brachius (forearm), Rhomboids, Obliques.

5. Bent over row
    Rhomboids, Latissimus dorsi, Biceps, triceps, Trapezius, abdominals, Erector Spinae

So for 5 exercises, they work an awful lot!

Sure, you can supplement with extras If you're not seeing the results you want.

It's likely diet that is behind you not achieving those results... that or effort.
    When you do any kind of exercise, you are harming your body.

When you rest after exercise, your body heals the damage, and adapts to get stronger. It's during rest that you gain fitness.

That's why there are rest days. If you don't want to gain fitness, don't rest.

Wrong - You gain size or volume more accurately, not fitness.

Most muscle bound guys that do no cardio are seriously unfit. Most fit guys who are muscle bound are usually professional athletes like Ross Edgely!

He is a one in a million, complete all rounded, huge, aesthetic and has cardio to boot.

You are spot on about needing rest days though!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I started with SL 5x5 and it was plenty. I had the lean mass from being overweight to begin with so I kept what I had and low and behold I had rockin abs after I was done losing the weight.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    So I have a full set of dumbbells to work with, which I can sub in for most of these, but I don't think i can do deadlift with those, any ideas for substitutes to that?
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

It's a good beginner program. However its that, a beginner program. It will definitely get you stronger, and activate a lot of muscle groups but once you reach to a point where you notice lacking parts in your body (genetically some people get bigger chest, or biceps etc) from esthetics perspective, you might want to do more isolated movements for those lacking body parts. It is totally up to you. I suppose thats the beauty of lifting really. People sometimes like to over complicate things a little too much.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty well-rounded routine for the small number of exercises. I've only been at this a few months, so I've been following it (it is a good simple beginner program with fast progression). I almost always add some accessory work though. I almost always add box jumps and extra core work. If it's a day where I have more time to be in the gym, I'll supplement with a bit of extra work on muscles that don't feel like I've gotten them much in a while. I often add a few of the following on any given day: lunges, leg extension (works a bit more toward front inner thigh then the squats do for me), tricep pushdowns, prone leg curls (more hamstring work), flies, bicep curls, front/side raises,...
  • ritzvin
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    It's a pretty well-rounded routine for the small number of exercises. I've only been at this a few months, so I've been following it (it is a good simple beginner program with fast progression). I almost always add some accessory work though. I almost always add box jumps and extra core work. If it's a day where I have more time to be in the gym, I'll supplement with a bit of extra work on muscles that don't feel like I've gotten them much in a while. I often add a few of the following on any given day: lunges, leg extension (works a bit more toward front inner thigh then the squats do for me), tricep pushdowns, prone leg curls (more hamstring work), flies, bicep curls, front/side raises,...

(FYI- I run, and mostly compete at orienteering which is trail and off-trail running, so I pay extra attention to making sure my hamstrings are getting strong along with my quads as well as jumping coordination).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    So I have a full set of dumbbells to work with, which I can sub in for most of these, but I don't think i can do deadlift with those, any ideas for substitutes to that?

I found dumbbells to be a P.I.T.A. for squats (and that was at lighter weights) as well. That might partially be because I'm shorter though, so squatting with kettlebell/dumbbell often results in them hitting the floor. (Note: I also have to step out of the squat rack to squat, because the barbell goes slightly lower than the catch bar)(I'm 4'10").

They should work well for overhead press, rows, and bench press.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

you can deadlift with dumbbells...google stiff legged