Squats

Options
Movemoreguy22
Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi people.
Nov last year had back op on my L5s1 cut some disc away due to sciatica for 3 years.
Been going to gym only been doing bodyweight excerises until I'm better.
I want to start doing squats again.

What type of squats can I do, without loading the weights on my back and shoulders?
I don't want to go back down that road again

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a question for your doctor/physio
  • Movemoreguy22
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Impossible to get in our doctors unless your dead.
    Got to ring at 8am to get an appointment and guess what these 100 people doing the same thing. Sadly I start work at 7am and won't be able to stay on the phone for flipping 30mins stuck in a queue to be told these no available stots left today.
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think u can do sumo squats because there is fitness channel called twinmuscle (both have their backs snapped up) and they do sumo squats on leg day, maybe u can get their advice because u can relate.
    Hope this helped
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    I check them out. Cheers mate
  • V4kerker
    V4kerker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Walking Lunges with dumbbells.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    What about front squats (bar in front), goblet squats....also in case you're interested in deadlifts, try the trap-bar version. I have a back issue too...hope your recovery goes well!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You could use a dip belt while standing on two boxes/benches or hooked to a cable machine and squat. Looks simular to a goblet, but you can handle much more weight since you're not forced to hold a dumbbell near your chin and zero extra weight loaded on spine.

Also either tempo, paused squats, or front at a much lighter weight then standard back squats. Which would work your body like a higher intensity without the actual higher load on your back.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Cheers peeps. I check them out
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats, hanging dumbell squats.
  • jetsman37
    jetsman37 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on my L4/L5 back in September. I still get severe sciatica. For that reason I don't run or do squats at all now. You can try to do leg presses or get on an excercise bike and do a hard hills routine. I also suggest walking on an extreme incline on the treadmill. All of these things will build your legs. If you must squat, then goblet squats are your best bet.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    jetsman37 wrote: »
    I had surgery on my L4/L5 back in September. I still get severe sciatica. For that reason I don't run or do squats at all now. You can try to do leg presses or get on an excercise bike and do a hard hills routine. I also suggest walking on an extreme incline on the treadmill. All of these things will build your legs. If you must squat, then goblet squats are your best bet.
    Hmmm you put me off abit. I still get sciatic pain. Get more good days then bad days and I cycle to work most days anyways just want to improve my leg design.
    I got chicken legs so doesn't really look good, more of my calfs is the look shocking then thighs but still want them to look half decent.
    I no loading a bar won't do me any favours, i don't want to head down that road again.
    Once you have/had sciatica it gives u a massive wake up call on making sure you look after yourself.
  • V4kerker
    V4kerker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Use the leg extension machine, just won't get the gluts worked.