"Why should I use a food scale?"

Options
So, I was in the middle of prepping dinner when suddenly, I remembered seeing a zillion posts of people not understanding why a food scale is useful to have when trying to lose weight. "But I use measuring cups!" I got curious, so I decided to weigh out a serving of pasta and then see how it fit into measuring cups.

Here's what a serving of tonight's pasta looks like.

qgp1emq5qa6d.jpg

Here it is weighed out.

9k6h96rwzs8u.jpg

Naturally, I realized afterward that I don't even have a 3/4 cup measuring cup, so I made do. Not ideal, but I could have stuffed so much more pasta in that 1/4 cup!

5nwbf8vixqbm.jpg

Seriously, look how much room is left over.

xeho6ea83gvs.jpg

It took me another 15 g of pasta to fill'er up. If my math is right, that's another 48 calories worth of pasta that I wouldn't have been accounting for, which isn't that bad, but that's only for one ingredient of my dinner! I was thinking about putting bacon in the sauce. Info on the back of the package says "2 slices or 15 grams" - one slice is 15 grams, which I wouldn't have known without my scale. That would have been an additional 70 calories, which means I would have been 118 calories over what I thought I was consuming!

If you're one of those people that says "I'm eating 1200 calories and I'm not losing a pound!" I highly suggest buying a scale. The one I'm using was only $7 at Walmart.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So, I was in the middle of prepping dinner when suddenly, I remembered seeing a zillion posts of people not understanding why a food scale is useful to have when trying to lose weight. "But I use measuring cups!" I got curious, so I decided to weigh out a serving of pasta and then see how it fit into measuring cups.

Here's what a serving of tonight's pasta looks like.

qgp1emq5qa6d.jpg

Here it is weighed out.

9k6h96rwzs8u.jpg

Naturally, I realized afterward that I don't even have a 3/4 cup measuring cup, so I made do. Not ideal, but I could have stuffed so much more pasta in that 1/4 cup!

5nwbf8vixqbm.jpg

Seriously, look how much room is left over.

xeho6ea83gvs.jpg

It took me another 15 g of pasta to fill'er up. If my math is right, that's another 48 calories worth of pasta that I wouldn't have been accounting for, which isn't that bad, but that's only for one ingredient of my dinner! I was thinking about putting bacon in the sauce. Info on the back of the package says "2 slices or 15 grams" - one slice is 15 grams, which I wouldn't have known without my scale. That would have been an additional 70 calories, which means I would have been 118 calories over what I thought I was consuming!

If you're one of those people that says "I'm eating 1200 calories and I'm not losing a pound!" I highly suggest buying a scale. The one I'm using was only $7 at Walmart.

It's usually 15 grams after it's cooked. The package usually says 2 pan fried slices.

I don't trust bacon packaging at all. First, 'pan fried' really doesn't mean anything because it won't weigh the same if it's crispy or not, then even when it's crispy, it's typically 30% heavier than what it should be for me. So my 2 slices weigh more than the 3 slices one serving is supposed to be, for example. Or 'how to eat 80 extra calories without noticing'.

Or those Lenny & Larry cookies that are often 135g instead of 114g. That's like 70 extra calories or something...
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think it should be 3/4 cup cooked, not dry and hard.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I was having hot chocolate tonight. The instructions said "add 5 heaped teaspoons (28gr)". In reality 2 heaped teaspoons were 28gr.
    5 were more like 60gr...

Yikes! That's a huge discrepancy.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    Oh yeah. The scale is a very "educational" tool. Just because it's habit to overeat pastas, rice, etc and they are calorific!
    I'd consider fatty foods much more caloric and essential to way out then clean carbs such as rice
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I think it should be 3/4 cup cooked, not dry and hard.

weighing everything raw/uncooked is more accurate, and generally how nutrition info is given for products that need preparing in some way...

In the UK the label specifies if the calories are for raw ("as sold") or cooked and it specifies if cooked - how exactly. Usually labels say "for 100gr cooked as per instructions". For example for pasta it states to "use 80gr per portion" and how long to boil it and the calories are given for "one portion cooked as per instructions".
    For meat the calories are usually given for "100gr oven baked" or "pan fried" depending on the type of meat and they always add "as per instructions" where they specify the time and if oil is included for pan frying for example. I've been counting calories for more than a year now and I've found my counting to be dead accurate so I trust the labels completely.

From what I've read in these forums, the US labels don't necessarily specify these things so I'd assume raw unless otherwise stated.

ETA:
    When I say I trust labels, that is to mean the ones given in grams. The volumes for solids are always way off. I ignore them completely.