"Why should I use a food scale?"

Options

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    Oh yeah. The scale is a very "educational" tool. Just because it's habit to overeat pastas, rice, etc and they are calorific!
    I'd consider fatty foods much more caloric and essential to way out then clean carbs such as rice

A calorie is a calorie no matter the source.

I'm saying that a calorie dense food is scientifically speaking more calorically dense than a carb. That's just science. It's weird to me for someone to classify a carb as "calorific" since they ARE NOT calorically dense. They are less then half the calories per gram as fat. So I'd worry more about measuring peanuts than measuring rice. Unless, of course, you're going to cover the rice in butter
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Oh yeah. The scale is a very "educational" tool. Just because it's habit to overeat pastas, rice, etc and they are calorific!
    I'd consider fatty foods much more caloric and essential to way out then clean carbs such as rice

Regardless of whether or not you consider the calories "clean" it doesn't change the fact that in my picture, if I used the cup measurement instead of the 56g measurement, I would be eating 289 calories while logging 200 calories. A calorie surplus is a calorie surplus. You don't magically not gain just because it was from what you consider a "clean" source.
    No, no, my comment wasn't towards you! I weigh everything. I was just saying that rice is not a "calorific food." I agree with what you're saying though I do sometimes cheat with lettuce( that is that I eyeball it instead of weighing it) lol; I'm pretty rigid with everything else .
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options

A calorie is a calorie no matter the source.

I'm saying that a calorie dense food is scientifically speaking more calorically dense than a carb. That's just science. It's weird to me for someone to classify a carb as "calorific" since they ARE NOT calorically dense. They are less then half the calories per gram as fat. So I'd worry more about measuring peanuts than measuring rice. Unless, of course, you're going to cover the rice in butter

point is all those calories you dont count do add up,and if you dont include/weigh them you could be eating more calories than you think you are.if you are only accurate on some of the weights of things and not on others it can throw a deficit off by a lot for many people.when I used a measuring cup to measure my food,I was eating more than I thought and started gaining some of the weight I lost at first back, once I started weighing all my food I started losing again.

I mean if what you are doing is working for you then fine,but once you get down to say a lower weight thats closer to goal or you have little to lose it pays to be more accurate and account for everything. so say you are in a 250 calorie deficit, and you dont weigh certain things,its possible that you could be eating that 250 calories and not realize it because you arent eating the proper portion,you are eating more. so that can make or break your deficit.

As previously stated "I weigh everything. I was just saying that rice is not a "calorific food." I agree with what you're saying though I do sometimes cheat with lettuce( that is that I eyeball it instead of weighing it) lol; I'm pretty rigid with everything else ." I'm not denying that weighing is superior by far. I simply disagreed with the word "calorific" being associated with a carb.

And I'm actually at a healthy bmi and always have been. Many people are eating more than they think. That wasn't the point of what I was saying
  • myname20
    myname20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This makes me very very sad..
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »

And that is how to end up eating way more calories than you think.

I had always been taught to avoid fatty foods such as avocados, so I assumed they were high in calories. Well, 100g of avocado is about 160 kcal (1.6 kcal per g).

100g of dry rice is 365 calories 3.65 kcal per g). Do you weigh out your rice before you cook it? Because going a few grams over on your rice is going to cause a lot more uncounted calories than going a few grams over on your avocado.

And let's not even get started on bread (about 100 kcal per slice). I had fatty tuna-mayo with fatty avocado for lunch yesterday, and yet my calorie count came to less than if I'd had almost anything in a sandwich.

I think that this idea that fatty foods have more calories is the legacy of the 'fat is bad' belief in my parents' generation. It's only since I've been measuring properly and recording on MFP that I've begun to realise that in fact it's always carbs ('clean' or not) that make the calories mount up.

Yeah I laugh at 'carbs don't need to be weighed as much' too. So easy to have 1.5 serving of pasta (or more) instead of 1 if you're not weighing. And yeah... you can easily have 1/2 of your sandwich calories coming from bread!

I got these high fiber tortillas that changed my sandwich life. The smaller ones are 50 calories so I just turn everything that used to be a sandwich into a taco or a burrito. Two slices of bread replaced with a single tortilla!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I had always been taught to avoid fatty foods such as avocados, so I assumed they were high in calories. Well, 100g of avocado is about 160 kcal (1.6 kcal per g).

100g of dry rice is 365 calories 3.65 kcal per g). Do you weigh out your rice before you cook it? Because going a few grams over on your rice is going to cause a lot more uncounted calories than going a few grams over on your avocado.

And let's not even get started on bread (about 100 kcal per slice). I had fatty tuna-mayo with fatty avocado for lunch yesterday, and yet my calorie count came to less than if I'd had almost anything in a sandwich.

I think that this idea that fatty foods have more calories is the legacy of the 'fat is bad' belief in my parents' generation. It's only since I've been measuring properly and recording on MFP that I've begun to realise that in fact it's always carbs ('clean' or not) that make the calories mount up.

Yeah I laugh at 'carbs don't need to be weighed as much' too. So easy to have 1.5 serving of pasta (or more) instead of 1 if you're not weighing. And yeah... you can easily have 1/2 of your sandwich calories coming from bread!

I got these high fiber tortillas that changed my sandwich life. The smaller ones are 50 calories so I just turn everything that used to be a sandwich into a taco or a burrito. Two slices of bread replaced with a single tortilla!

Honestly I'm not very much of a sandwich person, I'm more the protein and veggies kind of gal... I typically don't care about the stuff you put in sandwiches... but when I want a sandwich, I want a sandwich :)

I love the flatout Foldit stuff though - delicious for breakfast sandwiches or egg salad.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    So, I was in the middle of prepping dinner when suddenly, I remembered seeing a zillion posts of people not understanding why a food scale is useful to have when trying to lose weight. "But I use measuring cups!" I got curious, so I decided to weigh out a serving of pasta and then see how it fit into measuring cups.

Here's what a serving of tonight's pasta looks like.

qgp1emq5qa6d.jpg

Here it is weighed out.

9k6h96rwzs8u.jpg

Naturally, I realized afterward that I don't even have a 3/4 cup measuring cup, so I made do. Not ideal, but I could have stuffed so much more pasta in that 1/4 cup!

5nwbf8vixqbm.jpg

Seriously, look how much room is left over.

xeho6ea83gvs.jpg

It took me another 15 g of pasta to fill'er up. If my math is right, that's another 48 calories worth of pasta that I wouldn't have been accounting for, which isn't that bad, but that's only for one ingredient of my dinner! I was thinking about putting bacon in the sauce. Info on the back of the package says "2 slices or 15 grams" - one slice is 15 grams, which I wouldn't have known without my scale. That would have been an additional 70 calories, which means I would have been 118 calories over what I thought I was consuming!

If you're one of those people that says "I'm eating 1200 calories and I'm not losing a pound!" I highly suggest buying a scale. The one I'm using was only $7 at Walmart.

It's usually 15 grams after it's cooked. The package usually says 2 pan fried slices.

I don't trust bacon packaging at all. First, 'pan fried' really doesn't mean anything because it won't weigh the same if it's crispy or not, then even when it's crispy, it's typically 30% heavier than what it should be for me. So my 2 slices weigh more than the 3 slices one serving is supposed to be, for example. Or 'how to eat 80 extra calories without noticing'.

Or those Lenny & Larry cookies that are often 135g instead of 114g. That's like 70 extra calories or something...

Good for you.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options

Honestly I'm not very much of a sandwich person, I'm more the protein and veggies kind of gal... I typically don't care about the stuff you put in sandwiches... but when I want a sandwich, I want a sandwich :)

I love the flatout Foldit stuff though - delicious for breakfast sandwiches or egg salad.

I put tuna, eggs, left over stuff from dinner (turkey, roast beef, ham, pork roast), grilled chicken breasts, steak, bell peppers, cucumbers, spinach, tomatoes, radishes and onions in sandwiches.

Basically I take the protein and the vegetables and I stick them in the tortilla.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I put tuna, eggs, left over stuff from dinner (turkey, roast beef, ham, pork roast), grilled chicken breasts, steak, bell peppers, cucumbers, spinach, tomatoes, radishes and onions in sandwiches.

Basically I take the protein and the vegetables and I stick them in the tortilla.

See, I'd rather save the calories altogether usually and have the stuff without the tortilla/bread, lol.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yes. However, my reality is that Id overeat pasta/rice/carbs as opposed to fatty foods.