Plugging Away 'til Labor Day

Options
Hey everyone! I just started being active on the boards today, but I like the idea of having a "group" or challenge... so I thought it'd be fun to set a goal that would "end" on Labor Day. I was thinking... maybe a personal WL goal (so maybe we aim for 5% of what we currently weigh now?) and a walking goal (100 miles?)... as we complete our goals (weight loss & walking), we can post under here and I will keep a running tally. Don't really feel a need to limit the size of the group. So, thoughts? And who's in? :)

Replies

• elana1987
    elana1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    By the way - Labor Day weekend is 6 weeks away, so that's our timeframe!
  • iabgn1957
    iabgn1957 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I do a major clothes shopping trip on Labor Day weekend so I'll have a go at it!
  • elana1987
    Options
    Okay, great!! =) We'll "accrue" members until Saturday, I'll post or send a message to everyone, and then we'll officially get started on Monday, 7/25!
  • elana1987
    Options
    Bumping it up!
  • hellhammer
    hellhammer Posts: 45
    Options
    as for the mileage walk im a mailman so im fine with it hehe , im rdy for a % weight loss, first of all when is labor day? and how much % do we need to lose and im in!
  • elana1987
    Options
    Hey! Labor Day is on Sept. 3rd (so it is 6 wks away from this upcoming Monday), and let's aim to lose 5% of our current weight. So for example, I'm currently 258 lbs... I'll aim to weigh 245 by then. So glad you're joining!
  • sock_17
    sock_17 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! Labor Day is Sept 5th. I'm a little nervous about trying to get all of the miles in but I'm game for trying to lose the 5%!!
    ~ Jamie
  • elana1987
    Options
    Oops, thanks Jamie! You're right! It is Sept. 5... glad you're in. :) 100 miles is a big amount to think about, but 6 weeks (starting 7/25) allows us to average 2.3 miles a day. It is definitely an ambitious goal, but any sort of miles logged is definitely an accomplishment! Glad to have you aboard. :)
  • elana1987
    Options
    Alright! So far, we have sock_17, hellhammer, and iabgn1957 joining me for the Labor Day challenge... anyone else? :)
  • sock_17
    sock_17 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Elana - I was jut checking out your profile and I noticed where you are from! I'm from Pittsburgh too. I'm about 40 mins away from there. How awesome is that!!!
  • elana1987
    Options
    Jamie, that is awesome!! :-D We're neighbors!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm in...I just changed my goal weight last night. I am a little scared, because I dropped it by 15 pounds. :ohwell: But my hubby helped convince me that I can do it. I think this is just what I need to get me going!

Lisa
  • elana1987
    Options
    great, Lisa! Glad to have you!!!
  • elana1987
    Options
    Last call for members for our challenge - we're officially starting on Monday!
  • joytopp
    joytopp Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi is it to late to join? I have been sitting here reading the blogs...and this is something I can do and WANT to do! How do I track my mileage? This will encourgae me to walk and get up and go!! Kind of excited right now! Keep me in the loop~ I am ready!!
  • TamiDZ
    TamiDZ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am glad I logged in and open this post today. I just began using this site on July 17, and this sounds like a great way to stay motivated. Please count me in! Let me know what details we need to provide to begin. I am looking forward to the challenge.
  • elana1987
    Options
    Joy and Tami - happy to have you!!! I will send a message out to all members tomorrow!! :) Best way to track miles - probably a pedometer, or using a site like mapmyrun.com (which, of course, you can use for walking too!). If you walk around a high school track, 4x around = a mile.

I guess what would be best is an initial wt, then each week we will report total miles and the wt for that week. Very excited!
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group, if it's not too late. Thanks!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If we're doing something besides walking, can we count that as well? I do about 5 miles on the elliptical every morning, and my hubby and I hike on weekends. Will that count?
  • elana1987
    Options
    Walk, sure thing!! Glad to have you! And lmarshel - yep, that definitely counts. :-D