Binge eating or emotional eating

Options
Hi everyone,

I've really noticed lately my tendency to binge eat when emotional...Was wondering if there is anyone else out there who is in the same situation? Maybe if we can identify triggers etc. we can stop this in its tracks and get healthy! Looking for support and to support others.

Feeling like I am addicted here!
Sarah

Replies

• Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You are far from alone! i have been struggling with emotional eating for a very long time. It is very hard especially since I have depression... I would love to be apart of figuring out triggers and having some that can relate to me.
  • Bellum24
    Bellum24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey this has been a big problem in my life, I think I finally have it under control but I can still tell that those really crappy days I'm looking for the mcdonalds and chips....
    Some triggers for me, lack of sleep / energy
    Confrontation - being enegaged in an argument with someone (this one was easy to control, I simply throw in a work out video with lots of punching and kicking and suddenly feel better...and find 5 minutes in your mental mindstate completely changes)
    No food in the fridge- this is the biggest one that leads to binge eating no matter what emotional stress caused it, if there isn't healthy food in my house and im feeling crappy I will put any garbage food in my mouth (DANGER!!)
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    We binge on carbs because they release serotonin into our brains, that's the feel-good chemical. Of course knowing why and stopping are two totally different things.

When wanting to eat emotionally tell yourself to HALT

Hurt
    Angry/Anxious
    Lonely
    Tired

Sometimes it helps understanding why you want to binge and then find something that will elevate your mood without food.
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I anger eat. Whenever I get mad I inhale food. I once ate an entire cake. I ate it so fast I was finished before the pain in my stomach had time to set in. That was the day I realized that I ate when I was angry. So now whenever I feel myself getting frustrated I clean something. It's much more productive and doesn't go straight to my hips.
  • tsportygirl
    Options
    Absolutely not alone... it has been a habit of mine for years and I just recently started finding my triggers. For me a big part is being alone... I also have depression which doesnt help, and the only thing I can do is when I start eating, rethink of whether I am hungry or not. Then I try to drink a glass of water first so that it gives me a pause to think about what's going on. I think MFP has helped a lot because when I have to write down everything I eat, instinctually I reflect on why i was eating...
  • mblake85
    mblake85 Posts: 5
    Options
    Same here!!

I have just noticed that I tend to binge whenever I am stressed out. I have gained a few pounds back this month, and coincidentally, I have had multiple, exceedingly stressful events this month. I think I just kind of veg out and forget about everything when I eat. I love to eat- it's no secret, that's why I joined this website.

Are there some sort of shock collars available for sabotoging diets??
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah... I am an emotional eater. When I'm happy I eat out at nice restaurants and order steak and potatoes with salad and most likely an appetizer too. When I'm sad I eat a lot of sweets... chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. When I'm angry I eat everything I can get my hands on. I'll eat something sweet and then I'll want salty, something creamy then something crunchy. I remember once someone asked me if I was hungry.... I didn't even realize I was eating but apparently I was just cramming my face with food. I am putting a conscience effort into asking myself why I'm eating. If it's not because I'm hungry, I head out to exercise, find something to keep me busy or someone to talk to. I recently went over my daily calorie goal by almost 700 calories. It was stupid. I was hurting myself... no one else. It was my wake up call. Sounds like you have had your wake up call too. I don't think any two people have the same triggers. Maybe if you stop and think about why you're eating it will help you. Another thing I am doing is trying to set a schedule so that I am eating about the same time everyday. I turn off the TV or the music and I sit at the dinning room table to eat. This way I am focused on the food in front of me and how much I'm eating.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I'm bored, when I'm angry, when I'm stressed--I eat. I'm trying to break the habit by redirecting myself toward going for a walk instead. Sometimes I'm successful, but not always. Still working on it!
  • nhgirl30
    nhgirl30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am a huge emotional eater especially when I am stressed. I tend to think food will comfort me, but it always makes me feel worse. I still have not figured out a better way to channel my emotions without turning to food.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I agree, when you're overwhelmed with emotion, resolve to stay on track can really slip. This community has the potential to offer a place to go when you are upset and not eat instead. I am pretty new here -- please feel free to "friend" me if you are looking for support -- I hope that I can use the site to stay on track (get back on track) and want to help others do the same!
  • mblake85
    Options
    I want to eat the last sugar cookie soooooooooo bad. I have to stay inside and study- so I can't go on a walk, but I am craving that frosting-laden thing like my life depends on it.... AHHH!!! I dont know if anyone is reading this right now, but it has helped me keep my fingers busy at the moment.

Wish me luck! I'm off to study microbiology; maybe reading about bacteria will keep my mind occupied.... here's to hoping!

-Megan
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    I agree with the previous comment about distractions- this helps :)
  • mblake85
    Options
    The sugar craving has passed for now.... I just went upstairs and took my shower and brushed my teeth before studying- that helped tremendously!!
  • sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for all your suggestions and comments... we can do it! :D