Best Gym routine for Beginners?

Options
cbgforever9
cbgforever9 Posts: 1 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, my names Carla.
I'm sort of new to fitness and health. I weight about 180. I'm 5 foot 7; my goal is to lose weight; also maybe tone my body. I have tried the gym off and on, but I never can seem to find my way around to becoming more dedicated to it. One of the biggest issues is knowing how to make my own routine. I want to be more sure and focused from now on. What is a healthy gym, exercise daily routine for beginners?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I highly suggest not making up a routine and going with something that a professional has created. The link I shared has a lot of good lifting programs to help you on your way to getting a toned body like you said you want. Many of them have rest days, which are days that you could consider adding some cardio if you would like. Overall weight loss comes mostly from staying within your calorie goal, the exercise will help with body composition (looking toned rather than just being lighter).
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to spend money on a book, I'd recommend Strong Curves.
  • KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You could look into HIIT programs, I really like those because I can lift weights while inserting cardio for extra burn. I just go through Pinterest for routines. You can read over them, decide what you're capable of completing then test them out. I change my routine up every week this way to keep my body guessing and burning calories effectively!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If u can afford it id go with a personal trainer for a month or two. They should teach you proper form and create routines and expose u to new equipment. I did a few small group training sessions too tbat was free with gym membership. Once u have basics down go for it.
    I do a mix of say 4 or 5 exercises say 3 rounds 10 reps each no rest or get an app with a timer n do stuff for time.
    Best are compound movememts that incorporate more than 1 muscle group like squat to press. But id get professional advice on form first as i see a lot of people doing things wrong which can lead to injury or not actually work tge right muscles. Oh and always warm up and stretch after! I got a jump rope n always carry it with me to add some extra cardio im between exercises
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    We had a guy at work lose a lot of weight over a year purely by just walking 15000 steps a day and counting calories. I used to go to the gym but I don't anymore. Unless your a 20 year old, those strenuous classes like boxing etc just give you injuries. Walking is easy and natural.

Oh I just trail run now and do exercises not requiring machines like pushups etc. Haven't had an injury since I started in 2015.