I have NO IDEA what to do for a FULL BODY WORKOUT ROUTINE

Options
chiefpat794
chiefpat794 Posts: 1 Member
edited April 2017 in Getting Started
Hey Guys,

I'm heading to university in September and I have my exams coming up so I know most of these next few months are going to be spent sitting down at my desk. However, I know how important exercise and staying active is to revision, so I thought I would start getting into a healthier routine.

The problem is, I don't know where to start!

I've looked online and most of the suggestions are workout plans with a goal i.e. to build muscle or lose weight etc.

I am simply looking for a Workout Routine that I can do daily or whenever I want to stay active and healthy.

I've never stepped in a gym before so I don't know how to use any machines so I was looking into getting a personal trainer. But obviously, in London, they can be very expensive and I didn't think it was worth it.

While I was searching, I came across an app called Vlique. I got in touch with them and they said they will be releasing it soon. They said they offer 45 min high intensity small group personal training sessions which give a full body workout. I assumed it would be expensive but they said their sessions start at £5 for students. I was thinking this may be a lot better than paying for a gym membership which can get quite expensive. This way I also only pay for how much I use.

I entered my email so I know when they release the app so I can try it out but until they do, I still need a workout plan.

What would you suggest?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Pick one of the beginner's programs from the above. If you don't want to pay for a gym, take a look at one of the bodyweight programs listed.
  • mandy2469
    mandy2469 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    check out myfitnessblender amazing workouts with diff routines which are free.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Workout dvds are fun for this, we are doing 30 day shred currently, all you need is one set of dumbells and it's does a killer work out in 20 minutes.

Also at gyms doing the group classes are fun, there are varieties and most give a full body workout.

Good luck!
  • josh_is_fit
    josh_is_fit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Add me for help with workouts and motivation
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Join a gym, ask a person trainer at the gym to show you around and to write you a workout program. If you want to tone your legs, butt etc then tell the trainer what you want. You don't need to pay for a trainer unless you want a 1 on 1 session. The workers at the gym are qualified to write you a program, and to show you how to use the machine. Dont worry.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Check out what facilities your university has as well - you might have access to a weight room or even a personal trainer through the athletics department. I know that was an option at my school, I regret not taking advantage of it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Or you could run, and do push-ups and squats and other fun body weight exercises right at home and save all that $$
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Absolutely FitnessBlender.com
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender is great. YouTube has tons of instructional videos on how to use machines, proper form for free weights and how to build a good program for yourself. Currently I use an app called BodySpace that has tons of different programs. Just put in what type you are looking for and it will give you lots to choose from. You don't have to join a gym but if you want to, ask an employee to give you a rundown of the machines so you are more comfortable.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you're at a university there is likely a gym, as people have noted. But also, and maybe more importantly, a lot of professionals dedicated to wellness. Even just asking at the gym or e-mailing the head of the PE department or finding out if there is a "Campus Wellness Office" (or some sort of position on-campus like that) will point you towards who to talk to.

One of the great side benefits of academia is that you are likely to be surrounded by people who have a lot of knowledge and likely want to share. Sometimes there are formal ways to access these people, but never be afraid to ask through informal means. Academics typically want to share.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I'm heading to university in September and I have my exams coming up so I know most of these next few months are going to be spent sitting down at my desk. However, I know how important exercise and staying active is to revision, so I thought I would start getting into a healthier routine.

The problem is, I don't know where to start!

I've looked online and most of the suggestions are workout plans with a goal i.e. to build muscle or lose weight etc.

I am simply looking for a Workout Routine that I can do daily or whenever I want to stay active and healthy.

I've never stepped in a gym before so I don't know how to use any machines so I was looking into getting a personal trainer. But obviously, in London, they can be very expensive and I didn't think it was worth it.

While I was searching, I came across an app called Vlique. I got in touch with them and they said they will be releasing it soon. They said they offer 45 min high intensity small group personal training sessions which give a full body workout. I assumed it would be expensive but they said their sessions start at £5 for students. I was thinking this may be a lot better than paying for a gym membership which can get quite expensive. This way I also only pay for how much I use.

I entered my email so I know when they release the app so I can try it out but until they do, I still need a workout plan.

What would you suggest?

£5 a session can build up quickly to the price of a gym. I'd actually recommend HIIT following a Joe Wicks kind of plan. You can buy his cookbooks which i think are called Shift (concentrates on HIIT and diet) Shape adds weights and more recipes and Sustain which gives you even more along with hiit and weight combos.

Another option if you can afford your own weights is the LDNM cutting guide. This is available online for free or with loads of support the full version for around £100 for the 90 day course.