Help with macros please!!

Options
30more2go
30more2go Posts: 9 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I should know this but I'm seriously confused! I keep reading about how I should eat .8grams of protein for each pound I weigh- so I switched my macros to 40% carbs, 40% protein & 20% fats. I just don't know if this is the right thing to do & am second guessing myself. Any suggestions from those who have changed their macros and or those who think it's best to leave well enough alone & just go back to MFP original settings?
I am Female, 5'2 & 169 lbs. I have my calories set to lose 2lbs per week (have been losing anywhere between 1.5-.5) so 1200 a day.

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    you have to try it on yourself to know if these macros work for you.
  • KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well, depending on your fitness goal (losing weight, building muscle) that amount of calories might be way too low. Personally, I think you need to look into your BMR then subtract maybe 250 calories only. You don't want to extreme diet and crash your metabolism in the process to a better you. Macros vary, you have to find what works best for you. I need more carbs because I literally can not function without. I do 45% carb, 30% fat, and 25% protein. Too much protein is hard on your body so you don't want to go too extreme. I eat about 1700 calories a day, follow my macros, and am still losing weight (about .5 lbs per week -ish).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's "0.8 grams for each pound of weight at goal weight", and even that is a bit excessive for most people, and admit it, you're most likely most like most people. Protein is important, but not so important that it should crowd out other nutrients. When you're eating at a deficit, you have fewer calories to play with than usual, so you have to be more careful in order to get in sufficient nutrition. You don't really "need" carbs", but lots of "carby" foods are packed with other nutrients that you do need. You also need more fat than that. MFP's default is good - for maintenance.

It's possible to eat 40P/40C/20F, and you lose weight at 1200 calories, in theory, but you'll be eating in practice, so you have to make it work in practice. My suggestion:

Set your goals to 1400 calories, 25% protein, 30% carbs, 45% fat. Try that for a few weeks. Monitor your weight and general health and wellbeing. Adjust weight loss expectations to 1% of total body weight per week, and adjust food intake as needed.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I like 40carb, 30protein, 30fat. It fits with my natural eating pattern, satiates me, and hits my protein goals.

You may want to just track your normal eating patterns, see what your normal inclinations are for C, P, & F, then slowly adjust until you are reaching your protein and fat goals.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you probably dont need as much protein, but if it works then go for it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I go with 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat. You really have to find what works for you and which foods you find satiated with.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    currently 169 - what is your goal weight? 2lbs a week may be too aggressive of a weight loss and the resulting 1200 cal intake may result in binging - maybe adjust to .5-1lb a week

.8-1g per goal weight or LMM (I've seen both bandied around) - personally (female, 5'3", 148 and I take in 130g a day with a focus on performance)
  • 30more2go
    30more2go Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much! I clearly didn't read as good into it as I thought- I didn't realize the .8-1gram of protein was for goal weight!!
    Yes I am at 1200 calories and really it seems to be good- I'm definitely not feeling unsatisfied but yes maybe too aggressive. I know it's not a race. My goal is 135. I do work out now. I had put sedentary because I hadn't begun incorporating exercise yet when I started. Again- thank you :-)!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    30more2go wrote: »
    Thank you all very much! I clearly didn't read as good into it as I thought- I didn't realize the .8-1gram of protein was for goal weight!!
    Yes I am at 1200 calories and really it seems to be good- I'm definitely not feeling unsatisfied but yes maybe too aggressive. I know it's not a race. My goal is 135. I do work out now. I had put sedentary because I hadn't begun incorporating exercise yet when I started. Again- thank you :-)!

with 30lbs to lose, you should be aiming for losing 1lb per week.