Chips are my down fall.....

Options
So yes I know don't buy them.... but I have a family and they want their chips lol... what I'm looking for are alternative crunchy foods ( other than carrots/celery/apples) to eat. I reach for chips when I want crunchy and I get tired of carrots... so anyone got any healthy alternitives?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Flavoured rice cakes (not crackers) are quite nice...
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! Air popped is so very dry that it's difficult to get salt (or other toppings) to stick.

Microwave your popcorn in a glass bowl (cover with a plate) or buy a bowl designed for the microwave......just 1 teaspoon of oil gives it enough moisture for fine salt....or Kernels popcorn seasonings (ranch, nacho, jalepeno, etc).
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I like the SmartFood jalepeno cheddar popcorn.

And I don't buy chips. If people in your house want them, they can buy them. It's not your job to buy food you don't want to eat. ;) No one really _should_ be eating chips on the regular.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My goto now is cheese crisps. Calories aren't bad and you get a good amount of protein too.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Flavored Cheerios.
    Sounds weird but they came out pretty good!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sorry but I don't think anything can replace the joy of munching on corn/potato chips, at least for your family.

For crunchy and diet friendly, I recently rediscovered eating radishes. Doesn't satisfy the urge for Kettle brand flavored chips but does add variety to the crunchy veggie category. Give the Asian radish (diakon) a try, if you have an Asian grocery handy.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love chips (especially corn chips-chili cheese Fritos are my most favorite food in the whole world :# ). I refuse to cut out something I enjoy, so I've learned how to fit them into my calorie targets. Back when I was in my active weight loss phase that meant having a serving (measured out on a food scale) 2-3 times a week. Now that I'm in maintenance I have a serving (still measured out on a food scale), every.single.day, and I don't see that changing, ever lol.

OP, if you like chips then why not just learn how to fit them into your calorie goals? Measure out serving sizes on your food scale-really most aren't that bad (under 200 calories usually).
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    strshllw84 wrote: »
    Flavored Cheerios.

A serving of honey nut cheerios is 110 calories vs 160 calories for a serving of Fritos, or Lays potato chips, so not much difference calorie wise.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Edemamee (soy beans I am not sure of spelling)
    Green beans
    Sugar snap peas
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    strshllw84 wrote: »
    Flavored Cheerios.

A serving of honey nut cheerios is 110 calories vs 160 calories for a serving of Fritos, or Lays potato chips, so not much difference calorie wise.

I am talking plain Cheerios with spices.... It may be approximately the same, calories per serving but you get more Cheerios in a serving vs a bag of chips.
  • nicholerohrer
    nicholerohrer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like veggie straws or lentil chips. To be honest there's not a lot of difference in calories, but the volume of the serving size is much larger. I second what others are saying- if you want them, fit them into your calories for the day. no harm done.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I eat chips occasionally, but I weigh them out, eat a half serving, put the bag away, and forget them. Takes a lot of willpower because I love chips, but I don't really miss grabbing the bag and consuming the whole thing like I did during my fat days.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    I eat chips occasionally, but I weigh them out, eat a half serving, put the bag away, and forget them. Takes a lot of willpower because I love chips, but I don't really miss grabbing the bag and consuming the whole thing like I did during my fat days.

This is pretty much what I do, except I have half a serving everyday. I love Cheetos Puffs!
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Could you make your own? Sweet potatoes, apples, etc can be baked into a chip. Making most things at home are usually better than the bought version in nutrition and flavor. You can also control how many are available from the get go.

My pampered chef person sells a microwave chip maker. I'm still yet to get my hands on it.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    When I get a craving, I love the Harvest Snapea crisps and the Lentil Tomato Basil. Perfect mix of salt and crunch and with minimal damage :)
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Use a mandoline slicer or just cut potatoes extra thin. Spray some non stick spray on a plate lay em out single layer and microwave. I can't give specific times since all microwaves differ mine takes like 4 mins, generally when they start to turn brown they are ready. Weigh the sliced potato raw. Potato chips without a fryer and they taste just as good. Could use an oven however I have never done this and that may take more time.