Always Hungry

Options
Title says it all. I'm a 35yo female, 5'6", 127 lbs. Currently in a bet and trying to get to 125, but essentially maintaining. My tdee is around 2250 (eating 2000 right now). I do OCRs so my training consists of heavy lifting, metcons, running, gymnastics, parkour, and yoga, plus a 2 mi walk at lunch every day. I've been maintaining my weight for the last 5 years (except the brief period when I accidentally got down to 110 yikes!). But, to maintain my weight, I always feel hungry! I've tried lower carb, higher carb, etc. I can't find a balance that satisfies my appetite. Help!

Replies

• jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    People will be better able to help you if you open your diary for viewing.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Where are you at with protein and fats (tend to be more filling than carbs), and what types of food are you using to fill your calories? "Volume foods" like fruits and veggies are going to fill and be more satisfying than something like candy.
    Are you planning meals/carbs around your workout?
    I've found I can stay pretty satisfied eating around 2000 calories (even though that's a deficit for me). Several small volume meals throughout the day and more cals in the evening - when I do my workouts - usually tides me over pretty well.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Opened up my diary. I do around 1g/lb for protein 125g (25%), fat is around 100g (45%), and carbs I upped to 150g (30%). Most of my food is meat, veggies, and fats with some fruit and starches.
  • ocrXfitter
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You need to keep experimenting with food choices as what is most filling / satisfying varies enormously.
    I can eat a ton of fats and protein but starchy carbs tend to fill me nicely.
    Drinking calories tends to be less good at reducing hunger.

The other thing you can try is different eating patterns. Number and timing of meals and snacks.
    Ideally I would eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day but that's going to be a surplus for me - but I find it relatively painless to skip breakfast. It neither makes me more or less hungry by lunchtime.

I have had to come to terms with the fact that my intuitive eating level is a quite significant calorie surplus so I have to apply my mind to my eating rather than rely on gut feelings (excuse the pun!).

I'm definitely finding that as well. Frustrating!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    OcrXfitter, you're seriously my new MFP soulmate! I'm barely cutting calories for this gym challenge and I am HUNGRY! What's helping me a little these days is to eat a bit less in the morning unless I wake up really hungry. It doesn't seem to feel any different during the day, but I get to eat much more satisfying meals in the afternoon and dinner. I always have been a big morning eater, but at 2000 calories I have to hold back in the morning or I tend to run out of calories and go over. I also grill a bunch of chicken breast each week, and swear it's the most filling thing on the planet. Takes forever to chew.
  • ocrXfitter
    Options
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    OcrXfitter, you're seriously my new MFP soulmate! I'm barely cutting calories for this gym challenge and I am HUNGRY! What's helping me a little these days is to eat a bit less in the morning unless I wake up really hungry. It doesn't seem to feel any different during the day, but I get to eat much more satisfying meals in the afternoon and dinner. I always have been a big morning eater, but at 2000 calories I have to hold back in the morning or I tend to run out of calories and go over. I also grill a bunch of chicken breast each week, and swear it's the most filling thing on the planet. Takes forever to chew.

I'm never really hungry on the weekends, so it's really just during the week I have an issue. I work out at 4:45 a.m. so I feel compelled to have a protein shake soon thereafter. I feel like maybe that sets me up to be hungry all day. When I do my long run on Sunday mornings, usually I'll just have a coffee after and then nothing until lunch.

How important is protein soon after lifting?
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Oh ... I can relate ... I'm never hungry until I eat and then I'm hungry every 90 minutes afterwards ... it's because of a condition I have called insulin resistance ... or metabolic syndrome .... or Diabeties Type 2 ...

Suggest you speak with your medical professional about your constant hunger ... it might warrant a glucose or insulin test of your blood.
  • ocrXfitter
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Oh ... I can relate ... I'm never hungry until I eat and then I'm hungry every 90 minutes afterwards ... it's because of a condition I have called insulin resistance ... or metabolic syndrome .... or Diabeties Type 2 ...

Suggest you speak with your medical professional about your constant hunger ... it might warrant a glucose or insulin test of your blood.

This is exactly why I've tried higher fat, lower carb. I can't afford to go to the doctor, these high deductible plans are killing me! I had to pay $200 out of pocket just to see a doctor just to get a prescription for migraine meds.
  • CJ_Holmes
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »

This is exactly why I've tried higher fat, lower carb. I can't afford to go to the doctor, these high deductible plans are killing me! I had to pay $200 out of pocket just to see a doctor just to get a prescription for migraine meds.

Oh geez, as a Type I diabetic I should have thought of that too. Do you have other reasons to think you may have issues with your blood sugar? One thing you can do is get a cheap glucometer from the drugstore (seriously, like 15 bucks with test strips, and check your numbers (when you feel hungry, 2 hours after a big meal, if you feel like an energy crash, when you wake up). Normal people have some variation in numbers, but if you see anything outside of like a 20-point range you may be having some metabolic issues. You should be around 80-85 fasting.

On the other hand, though, at 5'6", 125 is light for an athlete and you might just be hungry... Do you have on and off seasons where you get lighter for races but can maintain a higher weight in the winter?
  • ocrXfitter
    Options

Oh geez, as a Type I diabetic I should have thought of that too. Do you have other reasons to think you may have issues with your blood sugar? One thing you can do is get a cheap glucometer from the drugstore (seriously, like 15 bucks with test strips, and check your numbers (when you feel hungry, 2 hours after a big meal, if you feel like an energy crash, when you wake up). Normal people have some variation in numbers, but if you see anything outside of like a 20-point range you may be having some metabolic issues. You should be around 80-85 fasting.

On the other hand, though, at 5'6", 125 is light for an athlete and you might just be hungry... Do you have on and off seasons where you get lighter for races but can maintain a higher weight in the winter?

I maintain my fall/winter weight of 135 without logging, but even with eating pretty much what I want, I'm still hungry at work...that's eating approximately 2400 cals/day. It's weird, because I can be at home and barely eat and be fine.

I've never thought there could be a medical reason, so I'll look into getting the test strips and see what happens.
  • transformedbyhim56
    transformedbyhim56 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry at work, but not at home, then stress may be playing a role. Can you take a short even 10 minute walk to relieve some stress and see if that helps. If you can't take a walk, try some deep breathing exercises to relax you. Also drinking plenty of water will help you feel full when you feel hungry, but are eating plenty of calories.
  • ocrXfitter
    Options
    If you're hungry at work, but not at home, then stress may be playing a role. Can you take a short even 10 minute walk to relieve some stress and see if that helps. If you can't take a walk, try some deep breathing exercises to relax you. Also drinking plenty of water will help you feel full when you feel hungry, but are eating plenty of calories.

I take a 30 min walk at lunch every day. It might be partly boredom from sitting at a computer all day, but my stomach feels hungry all day. I drink between 80 and 120 oz of water daily. At home I'm running around and don't really think about food.
  • CJ_Holmes
    Options

I take a 30 min walk at lunch every day. It might be partly boredom from sitting at a computer all day, but my stomach feels hungry all day. I drink between 80 and 120 oz of water daily. At home I'm running around and don't really think about food.

OMG, the constant battle! I sit here at my desk and think about food the whole time- I'm stressed, where is some chocolate? I drink a lot of herbal tea and sparkling water to keep myself entertained.
  • ocrXfitter
    Options

OMG, the constant battle! I sit here at my desk and think about food the whole time- I'm stressed, where is some chocolate? I drink a lot of herbal tea and sparkling water to keep myself entertained.

The struggle is real.