Losing body fat without losing protein..

Options
2»

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    leew88 wrote: »
    "To understand how intermittent fasting leads to fat loss we first need to understand the difference between the fed state and the fasted state.

Your body is in the fed state when it is digesting and absorbing food. Typically, the fed state starts when you begin eating and lasts for three to five hours as your body digests and absorbs the food you just ate. When you are in the fed state, it's very hard for your body to burn fat because your insulin levels are high.

After that timespan, your body goes into what is known as the post–absorptive state, which is just a fancy way of saying that your body isn’t processing a meal. The post–absorptive state lasts until 8 to 12 hours after your last meal, which is when you enter the fasted state. It is much easier for you body to burn fat in the fasted state because your insulin levels are low.

When you're in the fasted state your body can burn fat that has been inaccessible during the fed state.

Because we don't enter the fasted state until 12 hours after our last meal, it's rare that our bodies are in this fat burning state. This is one of the reasons why many people who start intermittent fasting will lose fat without changing what they eat, how much they eat, or how often they exercise. Fasting puts your body in a fat burning state that you rarely make it to during a normal eating schedule."
    This is just someone's opinion. It isn't supported by research or random controlled trials. A lot of this is being overstated but the part I take most issue with is this "This is one of the reasons why many people who start intermittent fasting will lose fat without changing what they eat, how much they eat". Most people who do IF do indeed change what and how much they eat. That's the whole point of the diet, you stay more full because you eat your food all at once. It allow you to eat less overall but remain satiated. Where did you pull this from?

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    "To understand how intermittent fasting leads to fat loss we first need to understand the difference between the fed state and the fasted state.

Your body is in the fed state when it is digesting and absorbing food. Typically, the fed state starts when you begin eating and lasts for three to five hours as your body digests and absorbs the food you just ate. When you are in the fed state, it's very hard for your body to burn fat because your insulin levels are high.

After that timespan, your body goes into what is known as the post–absorptive state, which is just a fancy way of saying that your body isn’t processing a meal. The post–absorptive state lasts until 8 to 12 hours after your last meal, which is when you enter the fasted state. It is much easier for you body to burn fat in the fasted state because your insulin levels are low.

When you're in the fasted state your body can burn fat that has been inaccessible during the fed state.

Because we don't enter the fasted state until 12 hours after our last meal, it's rare that our bodies are in this fat burning state. This is one of the reasons why many people who start intermittent fasting will lose fat without changing what they eat, how much they eat, or how often they exercise. Fasting puts your body in a fat burning state that you rarely make it to during a normal eating schedule."

Do you have a source? Because this (the bolded part) would not make sense if you were eating at a surplus and not a deficit. You would still gain weight right?

If I'm already eating at deficit and losing weight on schedule, how would IF benefit someone like me?

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To further expand on that, you take 3 green blocks, make them one or two larger blocks and make adjustments. The total green state is the same if calories are the same. It's just moved right.

Lipolysis-Lipogenesis1.png

Also, insulin only inhibitis lipolysis.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

This is mostly nonsense. The last paragraph is complete nonsense.

Your body is constantly burning body fat, regardless of being fasting or fed. It's just different rates. And if you're still consuming the same amount of Calories during the feeding window, your net energy balance (fat reserves) will be the same.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Do you have a source? Because this (the bolded part) would not make sense if you were eating at a surplus and not a deficit. You would still gain weight right?

If I'm already eating at deficit and losing weight on schedule, how would IF benefit someone like me?

I used the old google-fu to find it here:

http://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting
  • Silentpadna
    Options

I should add that I am not disputing the idea that IF works for people, but it would hard to imagine that it ultimately works for any different reason than all the other energy balance concepts work.
  • leew88
    leew88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Starting to wonder if the one and only website I thought I was learning about IF with, written by an unknown author, without any comments or anything about the article.. was complete and utter bullpoo.... ?

If enough of you are saying it is nonsense, I think I know my answer
  • Silentpadna
    Options
    Starting to wonder if the one and only website I thought I was learning about IF with, written by an unknown author, without any comments or anything about the article.. was complete and utter bullpoo.... ?

If enough of you are saying it is nonsense, I think I know my answer

It might be, but having a healthy dose of skepticism doesn't hurt. You can even run into a little group-think around here sometimes. I know the veterans and experts here (of which I am not one) can attest to that.

When I think about what was quoted above, for example, I would have to ask, what is the marginal benefit? By that I mean, if I took my 1000 calorie deficit and applied only between the hours of X and Y, how much fat will I burn versus not doing that? Is it substantial? If it's not substantial, will it help me to make sure that I don't overeat (a side benefit that may be worth it?)
  • leew88
    Options
    Definitely helps me not over eat, that's for sure.
    Example, I am in work now. I just made sure I ate my last meal of the day as it is 7PM. - Now I know I have finished for the day, I am good and pretty strict (Mostly).
    If I wasn't then I would go home at 10PM and eat. Guaranteed.....

That's a positive, because I definitely don't over eat - Even if I have been complaining about having to eat so much between the short 8 hours.

HOWEVER

A negative is.... I cannot even enjoy a coffee after 7pm or before 11AM (When I am starting work tomorrow at 6:15AM... Not being allowed a coffee before 11AM is horrible)

• leew88
    Options
    So are you guys saying other than the convienence and appetite suppression, there is no benefit in fat loss fasting
  • leew88
    Options
    Ultimately I duno what to do now
  • Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if muscle loss can be controlled ??
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So are you guys saying other than the convienence and appetite suppression, there is no benefit in fat loss fasting

Not that I have seen or even experience when I did 16:8. I really does come down to total calorie consumption over the day. When you eat the calories, is largely irrelevant. So if you like IF, please continue to follow it. But if it prevents you from getting adequate calories and/or nutrients, you may want to modify it.
  • leew88
    Options
    I'll probably continue due to it helping me have greater control, though I may struggle sometimes to eat enough.. I do prefer that over easily eating too much.

I've just found a nice article on diet doctor for intermittent fasting for beginners. I'll read this and see if I still want to continue
  • leew88
    Options
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    All I'm really asking is what is the importance of eating to my bmr as the minimum? Do I risk losing muscle more if I don't

If you don't want to lose muscle, lift weights. If you aren't hungry, don't eat, but I suspect that lifting weights will make you hungry. Then: eat adequate protein.