Lunchtime Walks - Eat Before or After?

My office coworkers and I have started walking a mile outside at lunchtime. Most of them like to eat lunch first, then walk. I like to walk then eat lunch after. Seems I'm hungrier after the walk.

So which is better (if one is better than the other)?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Whichever you prefer - why should there be a rule?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Neither is inherently better...it doesn't matter in the least...personal preference.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    scyran wrote: »
    My office coworkers and I have started walking a mile outside at lunchtime. Most of them like to eat lunch first, then walk. I like to walk then eat lunch after. Seems I'm hungrier after the walk.

So which is better (if one is better than the other)?

I do 3 miles at lunch - either walking or running, and have done so for many years. It totally depends on how I feel as to whether I eat before or after, but usually I eat after as I prefer a late lunch. I don't think you can say one is "better" than the other - it just depends on YOU.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    edited April 2017
    I eat after as I get those nasty rib cramps if I do any exercise after eating. But it's completely up to you. Neither has any particular health benefit.
  • Andrea4456
    Andrea4456 Posts: 39 Member
    Some sources say that exercising on an empty stomach will result in burning more fat.. I always prefer exercising on empty stomach b/c i'll get cramps other wise.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    If I eat before, I try to do it about an hour before. I have found if I eat any closer than that, I feel like I am going to cramp up.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    I eat all day long and walk frequently - I always take the verrrrrrrry long way to the restroom (like a mile walk around a large building). Today I walked before lunch. Then halfway through lunch I was kidnapped to watch a flow test and then walked back from there to finish lunch. I don't think it matters. I don't exercise first thing in the morning so I probably never actually exercise on an empty stomach. 2 pounds / week like clockwork....

Eating a bit less and moving more - probably matters not what order. Up to you.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I eat after I walk. Personal preference.
  • scyran
    scyran Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure it really mattered, either.
    Andrea4456 wrote: »
    Some sources say that exercising on an empty stomach will result in burning more fat.. I always prefer exercising on empty stomach b/c i'll get cramps other wise.

Actually I guess I always thought this ^ too. I exercise on an empty stomach in the morning, and like it better. But I enjoy the company of my coworkers. Today it turned out they were ready to go halfway through my lunch, so I ended up splitting it. It really doesn't matter...!

• 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    I also walk a mile on my morning break and prefer to eat lunch afterward because I don't want cramps or to feel sluggish but whatever works for you is what you should do. Congrats on getting a mile in during lunch. :)
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    I always eat after which gives me more time to walk during my break. I can always eat and work at the same time when I get back from my walk.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    I take lunch at 11, walk, then eat lunch. Good job walking during your lunch!!
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    FoxyMars25 wrote: »
    I always eat after which gives me more time to walk during my break. I can always eat and work at the same time when I get back from my walk.

This is exactly for me. I'm able to eat at my desk anyway, so if I eat afterwards, I can walk for a full 40-45 mins and still have time to cool down a little. I get a little sweaty after a couple miles! Plus, if I eat after, I don't cramp up.

Thanks, you've just inspired me to go do it now and get off MFP! B)
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    I do either just walk when I feel like it :open_mouth:
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    I eat after, but I do so mostly because I can then sit in my (locked) office and cool down and quit sweating before changing back into my work-clothes. I do enough of a walk to work up a sweat. If I didn't have the privacy of an office with a door, it wouldn't really matter as much, but I'd still prefer to eat after, giving me the ability to relax after the walk and before work begins again.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    For weight loss it makes no difference. I walk before and after lunch because the cafeteria is about 3/4 mile away from my work area.
    Andrea4456 wrote: »

Uh...keep in mind that we're only talking about a one mile walk and the walk would occur immediately after eating. They are likely to be done before much of the food makes it into the bloodstream anyway.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    I usually have a snack (hard boiled egg today) around 11, walk from 12-12:40 and eat lunch afterwords. The little snack gives me a boost of energy and then I eat lunch when I get hungry again
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I can have food before, but has to be at least an hour before. Nothing to do with body processing or such. I just hate feeling full and trying to exercise. Otherwise I just eat after.
  • YogaBookLady37
    YogaBookLady37 Posts: 34 Member
    I eat first, then literally rise from the table and walk a mile only because I am so freaking hungry by lunchtime. Whatever works for you.