Lance Armstrong admits to cheating.

Options

Replies

• Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    like i said i wish i could change the title but for some reason MFP does not let you.

and as for the mountains of evidence..there have been countless people that have claimed he cheated.

i dont actually have a problem with him cheating...seems like all cyclists do it. but i hate the way he was so smug.

I did not read anything that suggests he has admitted cheating, and further, yes hincapie rallied his buddies and they all got sweetheart deals for claiming that Lance doped. hmmmm let me think what possible reason could hincapie have for this.. oh I'm sure that the promise of winning a tour then having Lance take it from him, noooo.. that couldn't have anything to do with it.

Here in the US, people are innocent until PROVEN guilty. Being tired of fighting the bs is not proof nor is it an admission of guilt.

I stand by Lance!!! the most iconic American Cyclist and a true humanitarian with his work with cancer.

btw OP, some might say the glee with which you "report" might also be considered a bit on the smug side.
  • Laurej
    Options
    he said:
    In a statement sent to the AP, Armstrong said: “Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances. I will commit myself to the work I began before ever winning a single Tour de France title: serving people and families affected by cancer, especially those in underserved communities.”

Did he cheat? I don't know. Did he ADMIT TO CHEATING? I've read nothing that suggests he has.

^^THIS! The USADA has said his decision to quit is an admission of guilt. Personally, I believe he just got tired of repeating himself. The only thing they have against him at this point is the word of ten of his teammates/competitors who he beat consistently. Hundreds of negative blood tests don't lie, sore losers do. If you can't prove he doped before, during, or immediately after, let it go. The man is officially retired for crying out loud! It's in the past and shouldn't even be an issue anymore. In my opinion, this whole thing has been an unfair, unfounded, and unnecessary witch hunt.

^^^ agreed!!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Here in the US, people are innocent until PROVEN guilty. Being tired of fighting the bs is not proof nor is it an admission of guilt.

Unless you are suspected of terrorism. Then the President can have you murdered without due process.

But that is probably not the case for Lance.

--P
  • Laurej
    Options

Unless you are suspected of terrorism. Then the President can have you murdered without due process.

--P

LMAO!!! ok true there, but really the guy is what a terrorist against fat? His cycling career brought what was previously a virtually unknown sport into mainstream America. I live next to what Lance once tweeted was a really amazing bike trail and see the cycling groups all "play" tour de france it's cute, funny, annoying all at the same time but the one thing that I always think of is what an amazingly healthy thing he has done for our country.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I also have to say I support Lance in his decision to focus on his organization rather than the "witch hunt". His organization has helped me and countless others, and for that I am grateful.

I read a few years back how Greg LeMond was a big pusher in this alleged witch hunt. That, too disappoints me. Armstrong may be a cocky SOB ( I would be too if I could race like that), but I have looked at the big picture. USADA is obviously flawed in their drug testing if so many athletes can pass these drug tests. If they are so gung ho at outing people after the fact, why not "man up" and take care of it BEFORE the fact.

just my 2 cents.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

--P

LMAO!!! ok true there, but really the guy is what a terrorist against fat? His cycling career brought what was previously a virtually unknown sport into mainstream America. I live next to what Lance once tweeted was a really amazing bike trail and see the cycling groups all "play" tour de france it's cute, funny, annoying all at the same time but the one thing that I always think of is what an amazingly healthy thing he has done for our country.

I've met him, he seemed like a great guy. He's done so much for cancer survivors. He's done so much for cycling in the US.

Still, if it turns out that he used illegal drugs, he owes it to everyone to come clean. I really have a hard time believing a guy who fought and defeated cancer (at least so far, fingers crossed he lives a long life) would give up a fight over his reputation - especially when it will hurt his charity - unless he had a very, very good reason (e.g., fear of perjury).

Still, I prefer to focus on the charity work he's done since becoming a celebrity. Nobody can take that away from him.

--P
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    In this day and age "enhancement" is what EVERYONE does. Even the average person. Tiger Woods had to wear corrective lenses till he had Lasik. Depth perception is important in golf, so by getting it done is it considered cheating? Or how about the the swimmer who can afford a "slick suit" competing against one that can't afford one?
    Elite competitors go beyond what the person would do to win, with training, nutrition, and yes enhancement.
    Get this, if competitive bodybuilders (excluding some natural ones) were to be tested for steroids, they will find a way to pass the test. Now if they can pass a test, even if we couldn't prove guilt, how likely are we to believe it?
    Personally I believe Armstrong did enhance. You don't win that many in a row without some help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Laurej
    Options
    I also have to say I support Lance in his decision to focus on his organization rather than the "witch hunt". His organization has helped me and countless others, and for that I am grateful.

I read a few years back how Greg LeMond was a big pusher in this alleged witch hunt. That, too disappoints me. Armstrong may be a cocky SOB ( I would be too if I could race like that), but I have looked at the big picture. USADA is obviously flawed in their drug testing if so many athletes can pass these drug tests. If they are so gung ho at outing people after the fact, why not "man up" and take care of it BEFORE the fact.

just my 2 cents.

^^ agreed!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

just my 2 cents.

^^ agreed!

it has been said several times the reason they dont always catch them before or while they are doing it is because they dont know what the athlete is doing to cheat. a company comes up with a new drug or masking agent and an athlete will start using it and at that time there is no way to detect it. its only later, sometimes after the athlete has retired, that they find out what they are doing and how to test for it.

so just because Lance has retired, again, it doesnt mean he gets a free pass on cheating in the past.
  • tlo23
    tlo23 Posts: 68
    Options
    .... what?!!?!? a celebrity cheated?!?!!?!

Lzxxv.gif

THIS IS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stories/287637/usada-strips-tour-titles--bans-armstrong-for-life

His full statement. Pretty sure that's the opposite of admitting to cheating. But what do I know.
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Didnt read the thread.

he in no way admitted cheating. The accusations are rigged and the committee is rigged, there is no point in fighting.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Didnt read the thread.

he in no way admitted cheating. The accusations are rigged and the committee is rigged, there is no point in fighting.

Rigged in what way?
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It's worth noting that the possibility of the USADA exceeding their reach doesn't automatically mean that he is innocent. It's quite possible that he's guilty, and that the USADA isn't operating above board and Tygart is an obsessed loon. And maybe some of the folks accusing him stand to gain personally. Every single one of these possibilities might be true, all at once.

In an environment where the only way to level the playing field and have a chance of winning is to dope because everyone else is doing it, and the name of the game is to do it without getting caught, and you happen to acquaint yourself with a faciliator who's an expert at doing that, of course he never did it!

To the person saying that his wins while doping took wins away from someone who didn't dope: no, probably not. Just from someone else who was doping but not quite as good.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I love how the defenders automatically go to 'those guys accusing him are just mean and lying and trying to get ahead!' To that group ... you realize that some of these guys are admitting they did this stuff right alongside Armstrong, right? They are hitting themselves here. And hincapie is universally liked and respected in cycling. So now just because he tells the truth under oath, he's a lying liar? Come on, now. It comes off like if jesus christ himself were testifying, people would accuse him of being angry that lance was stealing too much of his spotlight or something.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Also, in a culture where corporations guilty of malfeasance regularly settle or otherwise weasel their way out of going to court, is it any surprise at all that people will view Armstrong's decision with anything other than suspicion of guilt?

He surely must know how it makes him look, and he's decided that this has the lesser impact on him personally.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I love how the defenders automatically go to 'those guys accusing him are just mean and lying and trying to get ahead!' To that group ... you realize that some of these guys are admitting they did this stuff right alongside Armstrong, right? They are hitting themselves here. And hincapie is universally liked and respected in cycling. So now just because he tells the truth under oath, he's a lying liar? Come on, now. It comes off like if jesus christ himself were testifying, people would accuse him of being angry that lance was stealing too much of his spotlight or something.

Every single witness in this case is tainted in some way. Especially the legal team
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    No one likes to see a "hero" go down in flames is why. In other words people really want to believe that there are above average people who can beat the "cheaters".
    You're only a "cheater" if you get caught. If you don't, you're winning. Sad to say that's how professional sports is played.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition