Best time for workouts?

Options
When's the best time to work out to stay motivated? I always find myself trying to get in on a work out sched that I schedule around 6pm but by that time I always seem to be lazy or I skip it because I napped too much. Clearly it's not working. I usually leve for work around 8am. Any insights?

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at 6am then go to work by 7am, however I have a gym at my work. Sometimes it's tough on an empty stomach. Some people workout on their lunch breaks, time permitting. Some after work. It's all up to your schedule and how far the gym is. The main factor is staying motivated!!!
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Best time of day is the time that works for your schedule. I'm at the gym at 4:45 a.m. because I don't have time the rest of the day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The time when you will be the most consistent.

I'm not a morning person so I exercise after work. It was baby steps, a 60 minute goal for the week. Then I added more & more time. Now, I come home change into workout clothes. I get dinner going and exercise while it's cooking.

If you can get up earlier to exercise that's great. Maybe a little earlier for 1/2 workouts and work up to full workouts. Get your workout done before too many distractions. Plus it's sets up the rest of your day.....I exercised, so I'm not going to eat that donut kind of thing.
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I find it's easier to stay energized throughout the day if I do my work outs in the morning before work. If I try to do it after work I'm too drained to work out. My biggest problem though is getting up early enough to get everything done before I have to leave for work.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "Best time for workouts?" The time that best fits your schedule, your mood, you day and anything that might effect you. The best time of day to workout is the time of day you can and will workout.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    For me it's mornings. I wake up around 9 or 10, workout at 11 then go to work at 3.. Works for me and my schedule with working the afternoon shift..
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "Best time for workouts?" The time that best fits your schedule, your mood, you day and anything that might effect you. The best time of day to workout is the time of day you can and will workout.

This^^ For me, this is in the evening while my kid is doing his sports.
  • jrback
    jrback Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Every person is different, but for me it's 5-5:30 in the morning. Then it's done with for the day. I also have a one year old so by the end of the day, after working and then running around after her, I'm shot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    The best time is whenever you'll actually do it. There is no universal "best"...'cuz we're all individuals and stuff...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For me personally the best time is mid morning. Alas, my schedule does not permit...
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For me, 4am. Before work and before I get burned out from the day. I also notice my energy levels and decisions are better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    For me personally the best time is mid morning. Alas, my schedule does not permit...

I hear ya...

I really miss my lunch rides, but the craziness this year has required me to work through most lunches so I've become an evening rider (always lifted in the evening)...lunch rides were a great way to break up the day and be on my way. In the summer I'll be doing mornings to beat the heat...I hate mornings.

I took off the other day just for a mental health break...hit the gym around 10AM...that session rocked.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When's the best time to work out to stay motivated? I always find myself trying to get in on a work out sched that I schedule around 6pm but by that time I always seem to be lazy or I skip it because I napped too much. Clearly it's not working. I usually leve for work around 8am. Any insights?

The best time to workout is when you have time. There is no secret answer to your question
  • lawsonsaysread
    lawsonsaysread Posts: 53 Member
    Options

J72FIT wrote: »

No kidding! I love working out mid morning, but I rarely get to. When I have a day off, my mid morning workouts rock.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others - whenever you'll do it is the best time. For me, when I first started getting back into working out (after taking too long of a break post having kids), that was in the morning, every day. Once I started getting up habitually, I was afraid if I missed one day, it would turn into weeks and months! That was over 5 years ago and now I've found a class and a group of people that I love working out with. I pay way too much money to go to a few classes a week - mostly in the evening and then supplement at home.

The key was finding a time in the beginning that allowed me to develop the habit and the mindset. Now, I know that I'll get it in and I can sleep in a little more! :smiley:
  • TurnuptheACDC
    TurnuptheACDC Posts: 318 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The best time for you is whenever you can make it to the gym and put in some work.

I've tried going after work which is during a peak time and was dissatisfied with what I was able to put in. But now I've been going around 5ish in the morning for the past few weeks. I love how there aren't that many people during that time. The first couple of days were tough. I would wake up groggy, on autopilot, and would make the mistake of heading to work instead of the gym lol but once on the right track, I put in work that I'm happy with.

Just try going around at different times to see which works for you best.
  • old_me
    old_me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5:30am at a fitness centre. I'm out by 6:30, home for 6:40 to shower and do my regular morning routine to get kids out and ready for school. Work starts at 8:15 for me. Crazy mornimgs, but routine works.

I have tried many different workout times, but I find I'm completely drained of energy for an evening workout. My best time is morning after a good sleep. I eat a protein granola bar and drink a pre-worlout mix 30-40 min before my workout. Seems to work for me.

Experiment with different times/routines until you find one that is easiest to stick with.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insights. Mornings sounds to be the best time for most :)

And for those who says that there is no best time and the best time is when I actually do it, while I do agree, I'm here to get insights and not find a magic pill. You do know that even if we're individuals, we can learn from others' experiences as well. Social learning theory 101 you guys
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Gotta chime in then...for me, it's evenings! Right after work. When I belonged to a gym I went straight from work! If I went home in between stuff would come up or inertia would hit. I tried mornings for a while but sleep kept winning out. So what everyone else said: it's what works for you.