How to start getting tone

Options
after you reach your suggested weight what can I do to start toning my body?

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy (for you) weight, following a proven progressive lifting program. Stronglifts 5X5 is a great program, or you can find something else here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Yep, this.
    "Toning" is basically just building muscle/loosing fat.
  • zika007
    zika007 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I dropped the weight increased the reps doing 5 sets 20 reps on most exercises
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    zika007 wrote: »
    I dropped the weight increased the reps doing 5 sets 20 reps on most exercises

Serious question, why? All you are doing is activating more Type 1 - Slow Twitch muscle fibers... so you are working endurance. If anything, you should work within muscle ranges to hit both type I and type II fiber to recruits as many fibers a possible. And if anything, you are losing strength by only working in a 20 rep range.

OP, I'd recomp by eating at maintenance, eating adequate protein (.6-.8g/lb) and following a good structured lifting routine that supports any goals and focus areas, like StrongCurvers, Thinner Leaner Strong or NROL4W
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Why wait until after you hit your target weight? Unless exercise is contraindicated for you for some reason, start lifting now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy (for you) weight, following a proven progressive lifting program. Stronglifts 5X5 is a great program, or you can find something else here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

this..

you also need stricter logging and macro/micro adherence...
  • zika007
    zika007 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm only doing 5/20s for a bit after bulk I got up to 73kg and it suited me because I picked up some minor injuries. Any idea what method to choose next during my cut still 5 weeks to go
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Why wait until after you hit your target weight? Unless exercise is contraindicated for you for some reason, start lifting now.

Agreed!
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lifting weights. lift heavier weight for fewer reps rather than high volume light weight
  • Vegansuperman
    Vegansuperman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Toned is a word to describe a low body fat percentage. To get "toned" you must lose body fat while maintaining or building lean body tissue. On a caloric deficit, Low carb high protein, while lifting heavy and doing cardio after weight training is a way someone can accomplish a toned look by lowering body fat.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Toned is a word to describe a low body fat percentage. To get "toned" you must lose body fat while maintaining or building lean body tissue. On a caloric deficit, Low carb high protein, while lifting heavy and doing cardio after weight training is a way someone can accomplish a toned look by lowering body fat.

Low carb is not necessarily the answer and neither is doing cardio after a workout. Can they be an answer, sure, but one does not have to drop carbs to get lean or fit.
  • Vegansuperman
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Low carb is not necessarily the answer and neither is doing cardio after a workout. Can they be an answer, sure, but one does not have to drop carbs to get lean or fit.

I did not say it "was the answer or the cure" or the end all be all" I simply stated what you just said. It is a way one can get "toned" from personal experience and the experience of countless others. It is one of the ways to accomplish a low body fat percentage while putting on muscle which is what the user ask for.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I did not say it "was the answer or the cure" or the end all be all" I simply stated what you just said. It is a way one can get "toned" from personal experience and the experience of countless others. It is one of the ways to accomplish a low body fat percentage while putting on muscle which is what the user ask for.

To point out though, it's hard enough to gain muscle while in a deficit, it's even harder to do so while on low carb. Carbs are anticatabolic, which prevent protein degradation (breakdown) and help to optimize muscle protein synthesis. If anything, low fat would be optimal if your goal is to gain muscle while in a deficit. But that is also largely majoring in the minors.
  • Vegansuperman
    Options

To point out though, it's hard enough to gain muscle while in a deficit, it's even harder to do so while on low carb. Carbs are anticatabolic, which prevent protein degradation (breakdown) and help to optimize muscle protein synthesis. If anything, low fat would be optimal if your goal is to gain muscle while in a deficit. But that is also largely majoring in the minors.

I'm am not here to debate. I am simply stating from experience. Lowering your carbohydrate intake, increasing protein, lifting heavy, and hitting cardio directly after accomplishes getting "toned". Keep it simple stupid. People want to get analytical and over complicate *kitten*. It is not brain surgery.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm am not here to debate. I am simply stating from experience. Lowering your carbohydrate calorie intake, increasing protein, lifting heavy, and hitting cardio directly after accomplishes getting "toned". Keep it simple stupid. People want to get analytical and over complicate *kitten*. It is not brain surgery.

fixed it for you ..

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

What I've noticed from personal experience is that low carb will jump start my cutting process. So every cutting cycle I do two weeks of 20C and 50P. There's no way I can maintain that for more than two weeks though, but I really like the results from it.
    But I agree, it's not necessary and not the only way.
  • Vegansuperman
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I'm am not here to debate. I am simply stating from experience. Lowering your carbohydrate calorie intake, increasing protein, lifting heavy, and hitting cardio directly after accomplishes getting "toned". Keep it simple stupid. People want to get analytical and over complicate *kitten*. It is not brain surgery.

fixed it for you ..

This is the problem with the fitness community. Everyone thinks they are all doctors and have every answer. There is more then one way to do things. The ONLY thing I can share is MY personally experience.
    But this is all just advice. Do whatever the F*** you want to do!
    *hodge twin voice*

• psuLemon
    Options

What I've noticed from personal experience is that low carb will jump start my cutting process. So every cutting cycle I do two weeks of 20C and 50P. There's no way I can maintain that for more than two weeks though, but I really like the results from it.

Something interesting.. when i was carb cycling, i never lost weight after my low carb days... always lost weight after my first big refeed when i jumped from 110g to 320g+... even after 8 weeks of data, that pattern never changed. Go figure, lol
  • ndj1979
    Options

that is because you drop water weight ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

fixed it for you ..

This is the problem with the fitness community. Everyone thinks they are all doctors and have every answer. There is more then one way to do things. The ONLY thing I can share is MY personally experience.
    But this is all just advice. Do whatever the F*** you want to do!
    *hodge twin voice*

not a dr, just pointing out that cutting carbs and dropping body fat are not related...

and honestly, i would not want to take fitness advice from an MD anyway...