Recomping

Options
_Bro
_Bro Posts: 437 Member
About half way through my recomp.

Started out a bit over 211 and now I've been bouncing around 200 for the last few weeks.

Thoughts on the duration of a recomp? I'm @ 4 months right now and planning to run another 4 as long as I'm getting good results.

56n8q800scdf.png
e0a2k3zey01u.jpg

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, I wouldnt necessarily say you are recomping but rather a slow cut since you lose 11 lbs in 4 months, but good results. And to be honest, I am not really sure you will need 4 months.. but keep going until you are happy.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Nicely done :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Great progress but being pedantic it's not a recomp.

Another 6-8 weeks should get you to where you want to be.
  • _Bro
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Fair point about the duration.

Ideally, I will reach my goals a bit earlier in the 2 month range but I've allocated more time in-case I need to make adjustments or have other things that come up that make me adjust my current training/exercise/diet (i.e. travel)

As far as it not being a recomp - perhaps another term would be better?
    My goal is to make stead progress on my lifts (albeit a bit slower) while while visually leaning out. I really don't want to lose a bunch of size/strength that I've gained. I guess you could call this a slow cut IDK?

I've shredded down more rapidly in the past:
    7emf7x2cgu1g.jpg

However, during that process the strength loss was noticeable and that's really not my goal.

So what's your definition of a recomp?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    _Bro wrote: »
    Fair point about the duration.

Ideally, I will reach my goals a bit earlier in the 2 month range but I've allocated more time in-case I need to make adjustments or have other things that come up that make me adjust my current training/exercise/diet (i.e. travel)

As far as it not being a recomp - perhaps another term would be better?
    My goal is to make stead progress on my lifts (albeit a bit slower) while while visually leaning out. I really don't want to lose a bunch of size/strength that I've gained. I guess you could call this a slow cut IDK?

I've shredded down more rapidly in the past:
    7emf7x2cgu1g.jpg

However, during that process the strength loss was noticeable and that's really not my goal.

So what's your definition of a recomp?

In general terms, recomping is roughly staying the same weight where you would have decreases in body fat and increase in lean body mass.

I'd say you are cutting... slightly different than losing weight since you are ideally achieving fat loss without loss of LBM.
  • _Bro
    Options
    Ah well, its probably not worth splitting hairs over.

I would, however, be interested in hearing from others that have done a recomp and the details / results that they've achieved. That question is probably answered by doing some searches on existing threads so I will give that a go..

@psuLemon have you actually run a recomp before?
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ah well, its probably not worth splitting hairs over.

I would, however, be interested in hearing from others that have done a recomp and the details / results that they've achieved. That question is probably answered by doing some searches on existing threads so I will give that a go..

@psuLemon have you actually run a recomp before?

I have not personally run a recomp. It's not really my style currently. I am actually in the process of cutting to get into single digit body fat (started at 16% as per a 11 point caliper test). I have worked with several people one on one for recomps (ironically, all female). The main two that were able to stick with the plans saw great results; one went from 26% bf to 14.1% over a 2 year period while following crossfit 5 days a week; the other went from 23% to 16% in six months while following this full body routine from M&S. The latter one was a complete noob to lifting, so she responded extremely week. Their protein was set at 1g per lb of lean body mass (they had hydrostatic/dexa scans respectively). The latter one was following a keto diet due to medical needs, so we timed carbs pre and post workout. With both clients, protein was spread fairly evenly (majoring in the minors), but it seem to support satiety and recovery.
  • _Bro
    Options
    I checked out the link that you referenced and the approach doesn't really fit for me.
    I.e. It doesn't incorporate a low rep range / focus on power. Specifically, I am referring to heavy compound movements with barbell Deadlift/squat.

At any rate, I appreciate comments -- best of luck to you in reaching your goal of single digit bf!
    I'll keep on my current path and perhaps update this thread when I'm done.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I checked out the link that you referenced and the approach doesn't really fit for me.
    I.e. It doesn't incorporate a low rep range / focus on power. Specifically, I am referring to heavy compound movements with barbell Deadlift/squat.

At any rate, I appreciate comments -- best of luck to you in reaching your goal of single digit bf!

Oh, i was suggesting that you follow that. Its just what the client followed. Depending on your level of fitness and goals, there is probably a more appropriate program in this list.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

To be honest your version of recomp and training sounds very similar to mine. I HATE!!! losing strength and power and will always keep a 4x4 or 5x5 strength base routine as a staple to my training (squat, deadlift, benchpress, OHP all compound with barbell) and hit a few isolations afterwards for lagging areas and such.

But good luck man physique is getting great!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    OP: You can read the details of my recomp efforts over the past 6 months in my "Ready to Recomp" thread in the Maintenance sub forum.

Have dropped from 16 to 10% BF (as measured by hydro testing) while maintaining my weight at 160# (+/- 5#). Losing about 10# of BF and gaining 10# of LBM in the process.

Never had a specific goal but think I've done as well as anyone could expect to do. No point going much lower in BF unless I want to compete in physique contests but that's not an ambition of mine.

I may still go into single digits for BF but that will only be a consequence of my diet and exercise program rather than a specific objective.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I started my recomp 4 weeks ago ...
  • _Bro
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: You can read the details of my recomp efforts over the past 6 months in my "Ready to Recomp" thread in the Maintenance sub forum.

Have dropped from 16 to 10% BF (as measured by hydro testing) while maintaining my weight at 160# (+/- 5#). Losing about 10# of BF and gaining 10# of LBM in the process.

Never had a specific goal but think I've done as well as anyone could expect to do. No point going much lower in BF unless I want to compete in physique contests but that's not an ambition of mine.

I may still go into single digits for BF but that will only be a consequence of my diet and exercise program rather than a specific objective.

Sounds like you had some great results!
    Thanks for sharing - I've looked over your post and a few others.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had some great results!
    Thanks for sharing - I've looked over your post and a few others.

You're welcome, thanks. :)