"Why should I use a food scale?"

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    TH2017 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    just had this with my bread, 40g is the 1 slice serving....every single slice in the pack weighed 65-68 g

You know I typically weigh everything but bread is something that I never thought to weigh for what ever reason.

*goes to kitchen to weigh a slice of bread* :/

I bought low cal bread. 50 cals a slice. And while I didn't weigh every single one, the ones I weighed were close to what the label said, and 1/3 thinner than a normal slice, hence the lower calories.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    just had this with my bread, 40g is the 1 slice serving....every single slice in the pack weighed 65-68 g

You know I typically weigh everything but bread is something that I never thought to weigh for what ever reason.

Yep, bread slices, tortillas, English muffins, crumpets, sandwich thins... sometimes it can be really depressing because they are frequently over.

ETA: Granted, it's usually a bigger discrepancy from the heavier denser breads.
  • TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I bought low cal bread. 50 cals a slice. And while I didn't weigh every single one, the ones I weighed were close to what the label said, and 1/3 thinner than a normal slice, hence the lower calories.

Yep, bread slices, tortillas, English muffins, crumpets, sandwich thins... sometimes it can be really depressing because they are frequently over.

I tend to use dense whole wheat lots of grains kind of bread, so I will definitely have to weigh a representative sample slice from each loaf from now on.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I tend to use dense whole wheat lots of grains kind of bread, so I will definitely have to weigh a representative sample slice from each loaf from now on.

each slice can be a different weight though. I learned that the hard way
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    To weigh your food. Simple.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

Toast it! It takes out the calories! :lol:

:tongue: I wish, it just takes out some water and now the same amount of calories are in a lighter object. Always weigh before you toast. :wink:
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use the scale now all the time. Even for cereal. If it says grams, ounces, etc., I'll weigh it.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS!!!! SO TRUE!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You summed it up perfectly. Can't say anymore
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Drussander wrote: »
    I use the scale now all the time. Even for cereal. If it says grams, ounces, etc., I'll weigh it.

Especially for cereal! It's one of the worst offenders for a single serving size looking all sad and lonely in your bowl. Right up there with ice cream.

I've not figured out how to weigh ice cream and compare to the ml on the label.

So I just assume it has no calories.

my ice cream has a g measurement on it - interesting on the ml
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Especially for cereal! It's one of the worst offenders for a single serving size looking all sad and lonely in your bowl. Right up there with ice cream.

My scale weighs in grams, ml, ounces, fluid ounces. I weigh my food per package instructions.

I have a question about weighing dry pasta though. How do you figure this out when cooking for a large family?

I'm fortunate that at this point I have a fair bit of wiggle room in my deficit, but that will decrease as time goes on. Will I be needing to weigh my portion and cook it individually?

(I hope I don't sound dumb!)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    MizMimi111 wrote: »

My scale weighs in grams, ml, ounces, fluid ounces. I weigh my food per package instructions.

I have a question about weighing dry pasta though. How do you figure this out when cooking for a large family?

I'm fortunate that at this point I have a fair bit of wiggle room in my deficit, but that will decrease as time goes on. Will I be needing to weigh my portion and cook it individually?

(I hope I don't sound dumb!)

I weigh the pasta dry and put 4 servings in (or whatever number), then weigh it cooked and divide by 4 to see how many grams a cooked serving is. Bit more work, but if you cook the same brand the same amount of time every time, it always comes down to about the same number (120ish grams for me, so when I'm lazy I just weigh it cooked and assume 120g a serving).
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Makes perfect sense once it's explained.