The Whole 30

Options
2»

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My view on Whole 30 is that it's geared more towards helping people change their relationship with food when compared with diets like paleo or keto. It eliminates a lot of the more highly refined foods, swedteners, and other hyperpalatables that people tend to overdo, which can help break their dependence on them. After the 30 days is over, the hope is that you've broken your cycle of over eating such foods and that you've either learned to moderate your intake, or that you now find such foods to be undesirable. When you start to fall back into old habits, you embark on another Whole 30.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Don't ever do the Whole 30 while training for a marathon. #lifeexperience
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    Whole30 is not a weight loss program. Yes, a lot of time people lose weight on it but only because they've cut out lots of highly processed foods and empty calories. I've done two rounds to find out what foods caused me issues from headaches to abdominal upset. I know now and have eliminated or reduced them from my diet. Now, I'm back to calories in/calories out. I lost a couple of pounds on Whole30 but nothing significant.

As long as people take Whole30 for what it is, then it is a fantastic tool!

But they bring up weight loss several times on their website-

The physical benefits of the Whole30 are profound. More than 95% of participants lose weight and improve their body composition, without counting or restricting calories.

Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition (like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies or fertility issues) that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms may be directly related to the foods you eat—even the “healthy” stuff.

Since 2009, their underground Whole30 program has quietly led tens of thousands of people to weight loss,

https://whole30.com/

And that site is so full of woo it made my eye twitch :p

Well, right, because the bolded is just an outright lie, right? They may not be counting the calories, but they are being restricted. Not to start that argument here, though....

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Whole30 is not a weight loss program. Yes, a lot of time people lose weight on it but only because they've cut out lots of highly processed foods and empty calories. I've done two rounds to find out what foods caused me issues from headaches to abdominal upset. I know now and have eliminated or reduced them from my diet. Now, I'm back to calories in/calories out. I lost a couple of pounds on Whole30 but nothing significant.

The physical benefits of the Whole30 are profound. More than 95% of participants lose weight and improve their body composition, without counting or restricting calories.

Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition (like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies or fertility issues) that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms may be directly related to the foods you eat—even the “healthy” stuff.

Since 2009, their underground Whole30 program has quietly led tens of thousands of people to weight loss,

Well, right, because the bolded is just an outright lie, right? They may not be counting the calories, but they are being restricted. Not to start that argument here, though....

I'm so tempted to do a round, but intentionally eat over my maintenance calories and record what happens (spoiler alert-I'll gain weight :p ). However, since I think cutting out things like whole grains and beans would be detrimental to my health, I'd never do it (so tempting though lol).
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

I'm so tempted to do a round, but intentionally eat over my maintenance calories and record what happens (spoiler alert-I'll gain weight :p ). However, since I think cutting out things like whole grains and beans would be detrimental to my health, I'd never do it (so tempting though lol).

That's exactly what happened to me on Atkins years ago. I gained weight and felt like garbage. Admittedly, I didn't know about electrolyte balance/keto flu, but...never again.