3 weeks, only lost 1 lb, heart broken

Options

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party, so may have missed some things up above.

As to weighing at work? Personally I don't worry about what my coworkers think. It did feel a little awkward at first, but I got over it. I now have a food scale at work, and I leave it in the kitchen (small office) in case anyone else wants to use it. Before I splurged (about $12) on the scale I used the postage scale! Though if you really do not want to use a scale at work, then make lunches at home. Sandwiches, portion out raw veggies, leftovers, etc.

Also, rate of loss will depend on how much you have to lose. I am not sure if you listed your stats? But a larger body burns more energy than a smaller body. So if you're 5-10 pounds above an ideal weight (for your height, body) then you may only be burning 1500-2000 calories per day. Meaning eating at 1200 would allow you to lose .5 to 1.5 pounds per week. Inaccuracy in logging could really slow that down. On the other hand, if you have 75-100 pounds to lose then your daily total burn is higher, giving you a larger margin of error.

You can lose weight, without giving up your social life. It will get easier in time, but the key is the choices you make. Getting the most out of your calories, pretty much. And not all social activity has to include large calorie intake. You can drink diet soda, or if you do want to drink alcohol find lower cal choices. And alternate the drinks with water or soda in between. For food, avoid aimless snacking. Restaurants tend to have some calorie friendly options these days as well.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice from folks. Just hang in there and keep at it. This should not be about sacrifice. I merely choose menu items when I am out with friends that are low carb / high protein like a chef salad with no dressing (and allow myself a glass of wine or a beer) or a protein (like steak with mushrooms) and a side veggie (like spinach, green beans). I don't eat steak at home usually, so this is a "treat". Also, every couple of weeks I allow myself to have a food that I am craving, like steak fries.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    lorenelia wrote: »
    I've been eating 1200 calories for 3 weeks, working out 4x per week...only lost 1 lb. About to completely quit my diet.... Any idea whu this could be happening?

There's a ton of (mostly) great advice in this thread, and some reasonable possible causes, such as fluid retention. You may get more specific help if you let us know some vitals, such as:
    1) Height
    2) Current Weight
    3) Age

Without that, it's hard to know what kind of deficit you have created if you are eating 1200 calories and comparing that to your BMR/TDEE. Do you know what those are? Since 1200 calories is a "floor" at MFP, it's impossible to know what your deficit is without the other information.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I went out with my girls last night for Happy Hour and drank club and lime. I also ordered dinner to go there and made a healthy choice - grilled salmon on a salad. Social + good choices can be done! You're revamping your life by changing what you eat permanently, so to be successful, you gotta find a way to apply it across the board - home, work, social, etc. But you can do it!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    lorenelia wrote: »
    Well...using a food scale when I'm at work is really awkward. I can't see myself weighing my food in front of my co-workers....how do other people do that? Any tips?

Most people prepare their food for the day at home, either the night before, or in big batches for the week. You will find what works for you but in my experience having the same thing daily for breakfast and lunches / snacks helps me to plan my dinners much better. If I know I am going to have a big dinner or a party or some other event I will eat a little less throughout the day or try to get a walk in at lunch just to help offset the calories.

• ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I always recommend taking measurements. When you up your exercise like you have you may see your body tightening up and clothes getting a bit looser without the scale moving. There are other victories than the number on the scale. Don't give up, consistency and patience is the key!

Oh..and I prep my breakfast/lunch the night before with my scale and pre log. Than at work I can eat as I please. If I don't eat something I just delete it.
  • PrettyUncoordinated
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? The scale will fluctuate but you'll really see results in your measurements. take a before picture and then take another every month. You might see the changes there vs seeing them in a mirror
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    eskimodeb2 wrote: »
    You may be eating too little....so your body is trying to protect you from starving. I am obese and working out an hour a day....on a 1,650 diet per day. I am losing 2 lbs per week for the last 3 weeks...but I plan to lose my weight over the next year. I think you need to be eating more calories. You could also be building muscle too. Hang in there.
    I agree with this post ... also you might not be logging in correctly. EVERY MORSEL NEEDS To BE LOGGED
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies but rather than quitting your diet, direct your efforts to learn where it went wrong (over estimating burns, poor data/logging) Spend a few minutes on the forums learning how to weigh and properly track your food. Don't give up and you're already doing way better than all of the folks that do. Find the solution; it exists
  • nina_schumann
    nina_schumann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had similar experience...3 weeks out sailing, 1200/day and only 4 pounds lost. Overall I have lost 14 pounds in 56 days, but this week I'm up and down by half a pound. When I gain half a pound I panic and have to weigh myself the next day. I think twice a week is probably more than enough. What helped me this week was putting on a pair of shorts that didn't fit 3 months ago. I've been wearing them for 3 days
  • JoshUlmer2014
    JoshUlmer2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too little....so your body is trying to protect you from starving. I am obese and working out an hour a day....on a 1,650 diet per day. I am losing 2 lbs per week for the last 3 weeks...but I plan to lose my weight over the next year. I think you need to be eating more calories. You could also be building muscle too. Hang in there.

Totally agree with this.
    Where did you get the 1,200 caloric eating goal?
    Also, are you watching your macros? Meaning do you have a goal on fats, proteins, and carbs for the day? If you aren't tracking those things and the amount of carbs you are eating each day fluctuates a lot then you can be getting bloated and water retention.

Depending on the type of work you are doing on the elliptical you could be hurting your fat loss more than helping: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm
    Ignore the photos of the women bodybuilders in there, you are not going to look like that weight lifting unless you are taking some "gear".

Also, consistency is huge!

Feel free to shoot me a message!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I had similar experience...3 weeks out sailing, 1200/day and only 4 pounds lost. Overall I have lost 14 pounds in 56 days, but this week I'm up and down by half a pound. When I gain half a pound I panic and have to weigh myself the next day. I think twice a week is probably more than enough. What helped me this week was putting on a pair of shorts that didn't fit 3 months ago. I've been wearing them for 3 days

Don't sweat the scale too much I can "gain" on the scale almost 5 lbs the week before shark week
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey, First of all Well Done on the weight loss! 1lb or 10lb it's still a LOSS....
    I agree with most of the other posts, the weight didn't appear overnight so don't expect it to disappear overnight either.
    I am not a big fan of weighing my food but it does help with accuracy especially when it's pasta/rice etc.
    I have a HRM and i use this as a guide for calories burned, as a rule I don't 'eat back' all of my calories, probably about 50%.
    I don't weigh myself because those numbers can ruin my day, but I do take my measurements, I also have a pair of shorts which I use as a guide, if they fit then I know I'm on track, bit tight then its time to wise up.
    Most important thing I think almost everyone has said is that this has to be something that you can stick at, don't set the bar to high that you are likely to fail, make better food choices, do more cardio. CICO is fact and it does work.
    Hang in there! You are doing great x
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    A pound is something. Now go lose another.
    Yep! One step at a time. In a year, that's a possible ~52lbs down.
    I agree with this post ... also you might not be logging in correctly. EVERY MORSEL NEEDS To BE LOGGED
    Why? Starvation mode is a myth, as the body will not hold onto fat and the OP isn't starving, either, and there is no way OP would be building muscle with their intake doing yoga in 3 weeks. I do agree with your post, however. ;)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this.
    Where did you get the 1,200 caloric eating goal?
    Also, are you watching your macros? Meaning do you have a goal on fats, proteins, and carbs for the day? If you aren't tracking those things and the amount of carbs you are eating each day fluctuates a lot then you can be getting bloated and water retention.

Depending on the type of work you are doing on the elliptical you could be hurting your fat loss more than helping: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm
    Ignore the photos of the women bodybuilders in there, you are not going to look like that weight lifting unless you are taking some "gear".

Also, consistency is huge!

Feel free to shoot me a message!

Why do you agree with a post that suggests OP is building muscle in a deficit doing yoga for 3 weeks? It takes a lot of hard work, eating at surplus and time to build muscle, especially for women. It has been revealed that innacurate logging is at play. It has only been 3 weeks. Starvation mode is s myth that has been disproven by science many times. Also, OP is not starving.. Women can retain water for a number of reasons as well.

• mariezdavis
    mariezdavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't gove up hope! Be proud of what you accomplished so far and trust it will get easier. I commend you on the working out -- That's one thing I haven't been able to stick with. But muscle DOES weigh more than fat. In a couple more weeks you'll start noticing a difference in the way your clothes fit!

It's what you eat. More water! More potassium (an avocado a day has way more potassium and way less sugar than a banana!) I found out that when I totally cut milk and changed to cashew milk or coconut milk (which I LOVE in my coffee and cereal) as well as sugar (I look at EVERY label) that I dropped weight quickly. As for going out with friends...Carbs! I love sauces when I go to restaurants (alfredo, garlic, you name it) and found out that most restaurants will serve the sauce of your choice on brocolli (Red Lobster is one, my favorite Italian place is another) and cut 1,000 calories from a meal. Also beer and wine... I thought I'd miss them, then discovered flavored vodkas and rums over ice have only 10 calories, no sugars or carbs (add water if too strong). Like desert in a glass!

My success: Modifying, measuring, all foods and greatly reducing sugar: First 6 months: -18 pounds. 2nd 6 months: -32 cutting sugar to under 10 grams/day, increasing healthy fats like adding avocados, greatly reducing carbs and increasing fiber (chia and flax seeds are my go-to addition to breakfast) .

I am where I want to be now Went from size 14/XL to 7/8/Small and it took a year. Now, I've increased my calories to 1800/day just to maintain my weight. But still measure and count. My back and knees no longer hurt. Blood sugar is perfect, no worries about diabetes anymore. It's a huge difference!

Good luck Lorenelia! Don't lose hope! It will happen faster than you think!
  • mariezdavis
    mariezdavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    P.S. Then you'll be complaining about all the money you have to spend on new clothes. Second-hand stores will be your friend!