Hit 350lbs and knew I had to get real! Anyone else in the same boat

Options
Hi-
6 yrs ago or so, I hit my highest at 326lbs. Being tall, I didn't look as bad as it sounds but when I saw the number, I had to make a change.

I did a few months Atkins and then Paleo and lost 99lbs. I then got stuck for a good year but kept it off for 2 years. Then the weight started to come back despite my eating Paleo.

I had a lot of stress going on so my primary care doctor and my endocrinologist said as long as I was eating clean- it was probably stress hormones.

I was at 326 again, March 2016. Fast forward to March. 2017 and I hit 352. When I thought about what changed, I realized I wasn't tracking calories- so on March 22, I began my journey with my 1st goal being 100 lbs- that will get me to 252 and then my next goal will be 30 lbs to get me to 222- where I was when I lost my weight before.

I just turned 50 and I don't have a thyroid, so I know there are additional challenges, but I'm determined to do this I eat clean and follow a Paleo/Primal/ real food template eating mainly locally and seasonal items from local farms and farmers market.

Looking for others who have significant weight to lose to motivate each

Replies

• alisaknewby
    alisaknewby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Alisa I just had my second child and hit 280lbs on the scale right after his birth. This is the heaviest I've ever been and only being 5'6 1/2" that's a lot. I'm working on getting down to 160lbs. Hopefully we can motivate each other
  • kitchen_sorceress
    kitchen_sorceress Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new baby! I'll send you a friend request. Thanks!
  • FairmontLady
    FairmontLady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The week of my wedding in 2009, I weighed in at 351 lbs. I lost 60 but ended up yo-yoing until I gained back to 340 lbs this last December. My diabetes was getting out of control and I knew something had to give...so I got back to using My Fitness Pal and going to the gym 5-7 times a week. I have now lost almost 60 lbs and I am currently at 282 lbs. I am so looking forward to reaching my next goal of being under 260 lbs by mid-summer, this is actually the least I have weighed in 15+ years. Adapting to a healthier lifestyle is SO difficult at first, but it becomes so much easier whenever you start to see results! Feel free to add me, I would love to have more friends so we cant keep each other motivated! Good luck with your journey!!
  • cperkins18
    cperkins18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was about that weight (at 5'5"), then managed to get down to around 300 mainly by periodically doing some calorie counting. Over Christmas, I gained more than usual for the holidays, so I made a serious attempt with calorie counting. Although the Christmas weight went away, I'm now back hovering just over or just under 300, which is depressing. Now that the weather is improving, I'm trying to walk a lot more often.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've had lap band surgery done at 18 and that didn't work out then. I'm scared for my future as I am only 26 years old and even surgery couldn't fix me. I'm now fixing myself and today is day 1.

Surgery couldn't fix you because it's not a "fix". It's a tool that you weren't ready to use at the time. You ARE ready now - and you can and will fix yourself! :) You can do this! It's not easy and it's not fast - but BELIEVE ME - it's even harder when you're older - and I'm twice your age!

Hi-
    6 yrs ago or so, I hit my highest at 326lbs. Being tall, I didn't look as bad as it sounds but when I saw the number, I had to make a change.

I did a few months Atkins and then Paleo and lost 99lbs. I then got stuck for a good year but kept it off for 2 years. Then the weight started to come back despite my eating Paleo.

I had a lot of stress going on so my primary care doctor and my endocrinologist said as long as I was eating clean- it was probably stress hormones.

I was at 326 again, March 2016. Fast forward to March. 2017 and I hit 352. When I thought about what changed, I realized I wasn't tracking calories- so on March 22, I began my journey with my 1st goal being 100 lbs- that will get me to 252 and then my next goal will be 30 lbs to get me to 222- where I was when I lost my weight before.

I just turned 50 and I don't have a thyroid, so I know there are additional challenges, but I'm determined to do this I eat clean and follow a Paleo/Primal/ real food template eating mainly locally and seasonal items from local farms and farmers market.

Looking for others who have significant weight to lose to motivate each

We have a LOT in common! I'm 53 years old, 5'10", and my high was 328. That was about 10 years (12?) ago and my husband and I followed WW and worked hard and lost a lot of weight. I lost 100 lbs total. He lost 50 or so - but he was smaller to begin with. I did not follow Atkins or Paleo or anything else that was restrictive because I do better with an "everything in moderation" philosophy. But I kept it off for a while. I was still heavy of course, but at 100 lbs gone, still 40 lbs from my goal, it was like a switch in my head flipped and I was "done". It slowly came back on, owing to going back to bad habits and for no other reason and just for fun, it brought pre-diabetes along. I didn't get it all back, but the Dr. said I got to 314. I don't recall seeing it over 305...but whatever, still too damn fat. :p

So...March 5 was my real "start date". That was the day we bought Fitbits and started paying better attention to our food and exercise. I've lost 10 lbs...back in the 200's (barely) but it's a start.

Tried to send you a friend request but it didn't take. Send me one! And check out the "Let's Lose It: 100+ lbs" group. :)
  • welofwishes
    welofwishes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.. I've never lost more than 10lbs trying to work on my eating habits. I'm currently trying to do low carb with CICO. Going to at first try to stay within 1500-1800 calories a day while I adapt myself to low carb. I currently weigh 333lbs at 5'6 and I'm almost 39 years old. I'd really love to be able to chat with someone or people and keep each other motivated :)
  • kitchen_sorceress
    Options
    Wow! You all sound so awesome and we all seem to be in the same boat! I'll check my settings to make sure I can be added as a friend and will also get requests out to all of you!

I will also check out the 100lbs to lose group!

I'm feeling hopeful y'all! Thanks!
  • cedar2526
    cedar2526 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Please add me! I am 55 years old and have thyroid issues. I would like to start with 100 pounds, but it is an overwhelming amount, since I can barely lose 5 pounds. I am diabetic, so carbs are bad. On the otherhand, I am fat resistant, so most meats are out. I have gotten very discouraged.
  • kitchen_sorceress
    Options
    Friend request sent cedar2526--- don't give up!!! Let's do this. One step at a time!
  • orr_stacie
    orr_stacie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have about 80 lbs I need to lose. I lost my dad last year to a massive heart attack and I don't want to continue living an unhealthy life. I need to be there for my little boys. I would love to cheer you on and we can help each other stay motivated.
  • kitchen_sorceress
    Options
    Sorry for your loss! You're right, it is a scary wake up call. As I approached 50 in March- my son, who is 26, has always feared me having a heart attack- not sure why, but as 50 got close- I started to worry and like you, decided, I couldn't continue to be unhealthy! Would love to cheer and support you! You have a lot to look forward to with those little guys! They grow up fast!
  • kathyk1965
    kathyk1965 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a 51 year old female who is in the same boat I lost 129 lbs 5yrs ago I kept it off for three years then life happens. I lost my brother and sister-in-law and gained my 23 year old autistic nephew and 102 lbs of weight back. I lost my weight with weight watchers but I basically did it on my own just buy walking a lot and portion control. So I thought maybe if I tried this I could hold myself accountable by tracking which is something I never did and weighing myself once a week. I started yesterday weighed myself 325.
  • wendi692
    wendi692 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi i hit my all time high at 240 lbs.the 100 lbs to lose seems way out of reach but i am determined to meet my goal please add me and we can keep each other going
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've gone up and down, but I'm still down from a high of at least 365 measured in a doctor's office (IMO I was at least 380lbs at an earlier age, but I literally couldn't find a scale at the time that could weigh me, including the doctor's). I've gained 20lbs over the past few months and need to take that back, plus get back on track toward my goal of 195lbs. I'm 297 right now. 100+lbs feels very very difficult to imagine, but I believe it's possible and I want to do it without surgery.

Feel free to add me, we can keep each other accountable.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new here just started at the end of March. I have played the diet game all to often lost 100 pounds only to gain it all back and then some. Food is my addiction. Dec 2015 my hubby and I went to a Dr. due to his hip. He needed a total hip replacement. The Dr looked at us and said surgery is way to risky as he was very overweight as well as myself Our journey began Jan 2016. He has lost 100 pounds and I have lost 147. Surgery is now set for this coming May I would like to lose 20 more and was stuck. Someone told me about this website and it is a great help. We were both where you are now. I just want to encourage you that it can be done. We are determine not to let it creep back again.
  • SylverWolfPDX
    SylverWolfPDX Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there! ~ Obese 5'3" Boxer/Bodybuilder here. Just think of me as a Pigmy Rhino with incredible Stamina LOL
    Feel free to Add me if you're ever in need of motivation or teammate. My highest = 332Lbs (So I get it)
  • kitchen_sorceress
    Options
    Wow -- look at all of us in the same boat!!!!!! It helps seeing so many of us trying to take on this challenge and I see inspiration in you all and I hope we can all help each other on the journey!!!! Thanks fo rtaking the time to respond, I am glad to call you friends!
  • dannyeburke
    dannyeburke Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and weigh 323. I'm down 4 pounds, and excited for this weight loss journey!
  • kitchen_sorceress
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! Wth!