Need HELP! What am I doing wrong?!?

Options
gannmelissa
gannmelissa Posts: 12 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been working out and eating healthier, since about January 10th. Started MFP and tracking everything since February 1st. My daily calorie goal is 1200. (My status quo calories is between 1750-1800). I have still lost about 10 pounds over the course of the whole time, but last week had a drastic change for the worse.

Last week my average calories eaten (over 7 days) was 1408 and my net average after exercise was 778, yet I still gained close to 5 pounds!!! How is that physically possible??? (And I checked it over several days just to make sure it wasn't water fluctuations.) I'm so confused and frustrated. Seriously considering a keto diet, but it seems rather extreme. I just don't know what else to do since I'm just not dropping the pounds like I want.

I do usually have one or two cheat days a week, but I don't get extreme (probably about 1800 on those days) and my net for the week is still usually way under due to my exercise. I work out HARD at the gym for about an hour or more usually 5 times a week. What am I doing wrong?!?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you due to get your period?
  • gannmelissa
    Options
    No, it's actually right in the middle of my cycle...2 more weeks!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    1)Are you weighing your food with a digital scale,including your cheat days?
    2) Are you having your TOM now or is it approaching?
    3) Have you used a different scale in case yours is broken?
    4)Did you eat a lot of food high in sodium?
    You can't gain that much fat in a week.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Can you make your food diary public so we can look at it, thanks.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • gannmelissa
    Options
    1) I don't always weigh everything, but when I'm at home, I use a regular kitchen scale.
    2) Middle of my cycle, 2 more weeks to go for that TOM
    3) I try to weigh at home about twice a week and at the gym once a week. Some of that 5 pounds was technically over closer to two weeks. But I just kept re-weighing over several days, b/c I was hoping it was just water weight.
    4) one of my cheat days was takeout Chinese, but overall, no drastic change in sodium.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm thinking it is probably a combination of not logging everything, and perhaps overestimating exercise calories. Can you open your diary for us?
    Also, stop weighing 3 times a week. Either weigh every day and watch the trend over time, or once a week, at the same time (preferably when you wake up, after you use the bathroom). Scales can differ. I have 2 home scales and one shows me one kilo less than the other.So pick one and stick with it.
    You would be doing yourself a favour to buy a digital scale and log everything you eat in grams. Estimating doesn't work as well as you're now discovering.
  • gannmelissa
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm at work now, so I will have to come back and investigate more tonight, but these are very helpful!!! Keep 'Em coming. And anyone who has tried or knows much about keto, let me know your thoughts. Carbs are usually my weakness, so not really sure if it would be a good fit. ;)
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm at work now, so I will have to come back and investigate more tonight, but these are very helpful!!! Keep 'Em coming. And anyone who has tried or knows much about keto, let me know your thoughts. Carbs are usually my weakness, so not really sure if it would be a good fit. ;)

If you can't go your whole life not eating carbs, then Keto is not for you. You will lose about 5-10lbs of water weight when you start Keto but it's primarily water weight and the moment you eat carbs, you will gain that weight back. If you think you can actually give up carbs for life, then go ahead but I don't know about you, but I couldn't live without popcorn and oatmeal. Try ple-planning those carbs in so you don't over do it on them. I had to learn that as well because chips were my weakness and it's extremely easy to overeat those.
    Good luck.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh everything, are you at least logging what you eat?
    Based on the nutrition label?

For the month of March I did the entire month eating out and was able to lose weight, just going by the food place's nutrition menu. Not weighing anything.
    I did a thread on it here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10534218/fast-food-for-the-month
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt your over estimating exercise or underestimating the food your eating.

You did NOT gain 5lbs of fat in a week. To do that, you would have had to eaten nearly 17500 calories OVER your daily energy expenditure.

Most likely culprit is still water retention. It doesn't always go away in a couple of days. Case in point...Ive been losing a steady 1lb a week since getting serious in Jan. Beginning of this month, I got back into the weight room and the next day, my weight shot up 5lbs. It took nearly two weeks for that up tick to come back down...but at my weekly weighin this past weekend, my weight dropped enough that my average loss is still the nice steady 1lb per week. I've seen upticks when I eat more sodium then normal. I see upticks when I don't drink enough water. I see upticks for pms, stress, illness, etc. But because I don't panic and I stay the course...those upticks don't last and my weightloss still shows up eventually.

My advice...relax and keep doing what your doing. You lost 10lbs in 2 months, which is actually pretty good progress. Remember that.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    one of my cheat days was takeout Chinese, but overall, no drastic change in sodium.

Do you log your "cheat meals?"
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Also, regarding weight fluctuations during your cycle, it's also common for women to gain weight/retain water around ovulation, as well as menstruation. I always spike up at least 3lbs the days before each.

It's why I find it helpful to log my weight every day. Going back through the last few months, I can see the pattern of gaining and losing, but still see the overall loss since the first of the year. My weight goes up every 2 weeks, but as long as the high weight this month is lower than the high weight last month at the same point in my cycle, I know I'm doing things right.
  • gannmelissa
    Options
    That's good to know. I didn't realize that made a difference. Makes me feel a little better! ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    That's good to know. I didn't realize that made a difference. Makes me feel a little better! ;)

I always see the scale go up when I ovulate. Sometimes it's just a pound or two, sometimes it is as much as six pounds (especially if my sodium is higher around that time).
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do usually have one or two cheat days a week, but I don't get extreme (probably about 1800 on those days) and my net for the week is still usually way under due to my exercise. I work out HARD at the gym for about an hour or more usually 5 times a week. What am I doing wrong?!?

Don't do cheat days. I know, I'll be flamed into the 7th rings of hell for saying that but it's counter productive. If you can't manage the deficit you are on, lower the deficit a bit and practice IIFYM. If it fits within your macros and calories, eat it. There's no need to restrict specific foods unless you feel they are too calorie dense and will leave you feeling hungry the rest of the day with no calories left, and even then it's just personal preference. I generally never do a cheat day, unless its a holiday. Holidays, Birthdays, Vacation, those are free for all's for me within reason (I make smart choices but enjoy myself). Regular cheat days though will derail your efforts over the long run. Just my opinion, I'm sure others have theirs.

Beyond all that, there's no reason 5 lbs can't be water weight. Whether or not you are near your TOM, too much sodium in a day can add up to 5 lbs of water weight which, for some people, can stick around for a week or more unless you intentionally try to flush it by drinking lots of water or using diuretics or reducing sodium intake for a few days or a combination of those things. You mentioned eating Chinese, and one meal from a Chinese restaurant can easily encompass your whole daily sodium limit or more, add that to whatever you normally consume and it can throw you 2-3x over the daily limit pretty fast. People without high blood pressure or issues with sodium can simply ignore it, but expect the gain.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Patience. If you're logging correctly, than the weight will drop eventually. It's not linear. Not sure if you're eating back your exercise calories but if you are, maybe only eat back 50%. I also retain water twice a month: at ovulation and a couple of days before my period.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Don't do cheat days. I know, I'll be flamed into the 7th rings of hell for saying that but it's counter productive. If you can't manage the deficit you are on, lower the deficit a bit and practice IIFYM. If it fits within your macros and calories, eat it. There's no need to restrict specific foods unless you feel they are too calorie dense and will leave you feeling hungry the rest of the day with no calories left, and even then it's just personal preference. I generally never do a cheat day, unless its a holiday. Holidays, Birthdays, Vacation, those are free for all's for me within reason (I make smart choices but enjoy myself). Regular cheat days though will derail your efforts over the long run. Just my opinion, I'm sure others have theirs.

Beyond all that, there's no reason 5 lbs can't be water weight. Whether or not you are near your TOM, too much sodium in a day can add up to 5 lbs of water weight which, for some people, can stick around for a week or more unless you intentionally try to flush it by drinking lots of water or using diuretics or reducing sodium intake for a few days or a combination of those things. You mentioned eating Chinese, and one meal from a Chinese restaurant can easily encompass your whole daily sodium limit or more, add that to whatever you normally consume and it can throw you 2-3x over the daily limit pretty fast. People without high blood pressure or issues with sodium can simply ignore it, but expect the gain.

I pretty much agree.
    Don't cut out foods you like.
    Learn how to make them work in your daily diet.
    Like I love cinnamon toast crunch cereal....some would argue that is "not clean" (whatever that means)...but for me it works, it's a good carb and protein source (the milk I add) and it is sweet....so takes the edge off....
    I will plan my high carb days around it if I know I am craving it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Dang now I want cinnamon toast crunch cereal. ;)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Dang now I want cinnamon toast crunch cereal. ;)

Of course you do, cause it's awesome!!!!!