5'2" 140 pounds wanting to lose 10 by June?

Options
I am struggling to lose 10-12 pounds but want to start setting goals instead of wishing I could lose it. I have a goal that I want to be 128 by the end of June, but I work out and eat healthy now and I don't see anything. I have a personal trainer and she checked my body fat and it's at 24.5, so I know I'm more muscular than fat. But does that make it harder to lose weight? I drink 100 ounces of water a day. My workouts are the stair master or running for an hour around 7-8mph or weight lifting and circuit exercises. I was debating on working out for two hours a day? I have a desk job so I know I'm "sedentary". I would love any tips or suggestions

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    are you counting calories? eating healthy doesn't equate to weight loss, eating less calories does. to lose 10 calories by the end of june, you'd need to eat about 7,000 less calories per week than you are now.

how frequently are you doing those 1 hour cardio workouts?
  • LauraS92mfp
    LauraS92mfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 5ft and wanting to lose 5/7 pounds by the beginning of June and I'm struggling like crazy too just hoping I can do it I weight 111 by the way xx
  • SophNewts
    SophNewts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first reply, I'm a firm believer (based on personal experience) that its 80% diet, 20% exercise. In other words, it doesn't matter if you're working out 6 hours a day, if you're not at a calorie defecit i.e. burning more calories than you're consuming, you won't lose any weight. I am 5''3 and maintain between 7st 12lbs and 8st 7lbs (110 - 119 lbs) which factors based on time of year (I always gain a little over winter) and other things such as hormonal changes. I generally follow a low carb diet, stick to around 1,500 calories a day, exercise regularly (walking, running, exercise bike) and have cheat days and meals - mainly weekends. I log everything I consume in my food diary (feel free to add me as a friend to view) and I where a FitBit to track my activity. I generally achieve 10,000 steps a day... some days a little more, some a little less. I'm working on toning my body rather than focussing on the scale. When I hit my dream number at my slimmest, I still wasn't happy. I'm not so worried about my weight now but more how I look, it's a healthier way to be. I love food so I'd rather exercise and eat based on having a good metabolism and healthy life style. I think once you enjoy healthy eating and exercising for fun, the weight loss, health benefits and related satisfaction are natural by-products of this. I hope this helps x
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    takes me 2 months and 4 days to lose 10 pounds at 5 ft 3 135-140 pounds but im extremely active and already very good at this weight loss thing.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight trying to lose "vanity" pounds. There is nothing wrong with that but it will take time to lose.

Actually OP's BMI is 25.6, which is in the overweight range.

OP you can definitely do this, as asked before are you counting calories? By that I mean weighing and measuring everything that goes into your mouth on a food scale? The last 10-12 lbs are the hardest for most people, so you're going to need to be as accurate as possible with your calorie intake.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    if 24.5% really is your body fat then you don't really have a lot to lose.

Why do you want to weigh 128lbs? What is special about that target? It sounds like you are probably at a healthy place right now, and as you say, muscle weighs more than fat. At this stage you want to go by measurement and clothes fitting more than a number on the scale. Yes, you are overweight by BMI standards, but not by fitness standards.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Well what's a healthy BMI to be at? We checked this week and I'm at 24.5%. I just liked the way I felt at 128 pounds. I used to be 120 and only kept that up by restricting any foods I personally thought were bad for me. I do think I have 10 vanity pounds to lose but I would like to lose the fat and not muscle, as suggested above and I would like the body fat to be maybe around 20-22%. I do count calories. I have started to go stricter with that in hopes I see better results. I do one hour cardio workouts 6 days a week. Sometimes it's a run at 7.5mph for three miles then the last two I'll bring the pace down and run at an incline for the last two miles. Any tips would be helpful you guys won't hurt my feelings
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    You have a good body fat percentage for your weight ( do take the percentage you were given as a rough estimate not as precise).

That means you have little fat to lose, despite being slightly above a normal BMI, and as one can only burn so much body fat in a day, this means weight loss will be slower.

Aim for .5 lbs a week so you don't lose more muscle than necessary while losing fat.

Carry on with your workouts, but make sure your logging is spot on. Use a food scale for precision. It can be sloooow losing the vanity lbs.

If it goes in your mouth, it goes in the scale first.

See @tacklewashers post above.

Cheers, h.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    You are at a healthy weight trying to lose "vanity" pounds. There is nothing wrong with that but it will take time to lose.

OP you can definitely do this, as asked before are you counting calories? By that I mean weighing and measuring everything that goes into your mouth on a food scale? The last 10-12 lbs are the hardest for most people, so you're going to need to be as accurate as possible with your calorie intake.

Regardless of whether her BMI is slightly overweight, the OP does not have enough body fat to lose 2 pounds/week and have most of it be fat. April is almost over. There are only about 5 weeks until the beginning of June.

Can she lose the weight? Absolutely. Just not in that time frame. Realistically, she can aim to lose 0.5-1 pounds/week. 5 pounds by June would be an ambitious but achievable goal. 10 pounds by August.
  • janjunie
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Regardless of whether her BMI is slightly overweight, the OP does not have enough body fat to lose 2 pounds/week and have most of it be fat. April is almost over. There are only about 5 weeks until the beginning of June.

Can she lose the weight? Absolutely. Just not in that time frame. Realistically, she can aim to lose 0.5-1 pounds/week. 5 pounds by June would be an ambitious but achievable goal. 10 pounds by August.

Sorry you are right, it must have been before I had my coffee that I wrote that because otherwise I would have noticed OP's body fat % and not have written what I did.
  • janjunie
    Options
    Well what's a healthy BMI to be at? We checked this week and I'm at 24.5%. I just liked the way I felt at 128 pounds. I used to be 120 and only kept that up by restricting any foods I personally thought were bad for me. I do think I have 10 vanity pounds to lose but I would like to lose the fat and not muscle, as suggested above and I would like the body fat to be maybe around 20-22%. I do count calories. I have started to go stricter with that in hopes I see better results. I do one hour cardio workouts 6 days a week. Sometimes it's a run at 7.5mph for three miles then the last two I'll bring the pace down and run at an incline for the last two miles. Any tips would be helpful you guys won't hurt my feelings

@FitnessLover001 my apologies my brain missed that you put your body fat %. Ignore my first comment. I agree with other posters that setting your weight loss goal to .5-1 lb/week would be more ideal, just make sure you're logging your calorie intake as accurately as possible and make sure you are weighing everything in grams.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3; I was able to recomp from 24.5%bf to under 22% by lifting heavier (progressive overload), eating more, and reducing length of cardio, but increasing intensity. Then, I bulked. I'd guess I'm back to 24%, but put on 10+lbs in a year through the same method.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Your goal is unrealistic. With a BF% of 24.5, it is going to take a long time to lose 10 pounds. You should only target losing .5lb per week, so that would be 20 weeks. Any faster and you risk losing muscle more than fat.

^^This.

Nothing wrong with your goal of 10 lbs, the only thing I would drop is the deadline.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Okay, I'll realign that deadline and push it out. I will get more structured with the food scale and count everything and see where it goes. I guess that is an over ambitious goal now that I look at it