Considering a keto diet...

Options
Anyone tried it? Is it healthy? Is it realistic long term or a just another fad diet? Pros and cons? Go to Resources?

Replies

• shapeofgratitude
    shapeofgratitude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ruled.me is an excellent resource, so is ketogasm.com
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Many have tried it and many continue to do it. I have done it a few years.

It is most beneficial to the health of people with insulin resistance (PCOS, NAFLD, Alzheimers, T2D) or CAD.

Some try it as a fad to lose weight. Sort of like how some people try gluten free to lose weight when all it actually does is reduce inflammation issues in those who react to it. A ketogenic diet can help your health. It can assist with weight loss by lowering your appetite (for most) but a low carb diet of under 150g of carbs (rather than under 50g) will do the same for most. Ketosis is mainly beneficial for some health problems.

The cons seems to be that it is limiting of food choices and affects food convenience, it can cause constipation or the runs in the first while in some and a few get bad breath or a rash for a while. People who like to eat a lot of volume don`t enjoy eating the smaller portions of a high fat diet.

Pros for me include reduced appetite and cravings, slightly faster weight loss, reduced inflammation, better BG control, steadier energy and reduced need to eat every few hours, better skin and nails, better cognitive function, and good food.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living is the best book out there. Keto Clarity is good too. Peter Attia`s blog has a lot of good info. So does Jason Fung and his book Obesity Code. There is a lot out there now that keto has gained in popularity.

The Low Carber Daily MFP group is also a great resource.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As with all diets, you can do it in a healthy or non healthy manor. It can be realistic long term for some people, but individual results are going to vary based on your ability to be satiated by fat.

Personally, I can never do it. Fat doesn't impact my hunger signals. For me, I cut fat first because starches keep me satiated. But I am also a volume eater, so fats are considered expensive.

Ultimately, whatever lifestyle you follow, you must address energy balance requirements... meaning calories in must be less than calories out. The below community might be a good place to start. If you want, you can also slowly cut carbs and increase fats to see how it impacts you. And then drop carbs low enough to get in ketosis (generally around 50g or less). Just make sure you increase sodium to about 3000 - 5000mg.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • psuLemon
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Many have tried it and many continue to do it. I have done it a few years.

It is most beneficial to the health of people with insulin resistance (PCOS, NAFLD, Alzheimers, T2D) or CAD.

Some try it as a fad to lose weight. Sort of like how some people try gluten free to lose weight when all it actually does is reduce inflammation issues in those who react to it. A ketogenic diet can help your health. It can assist with weight loss by lowering your appetite (for most) but a low carb diet of under 150g of carbs (rather than under 50g) will do the same for most. Ketosis is mainly beneficial for some health problems.

The cons seems to be that it is limiting of food choices and affects food convenience, it can cause constipation or the runs in the first while in some and a few get bad breath or a rash for a while. People who like to eat a lot of volume don`t enjoy eating the smaller portions of a high fat diet.

Pros for me include reduced appetite and cravings, slightly faster weight loss, reduced inflammation, better BG control, steadier energy and reduced need to eat every few hours, better skin and nails, better cognitive function, and good food.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living is the best book out there. Keto Clarity is good too. Peter Attia`s blog has a lot of good info. So does Jason Fung and his book Obesity Code. There is a lot out there now that keto has gained in popularity.

The Low Carber Daily MFP group is also a great resource.

The slightly faster weight loss is only from glycogen/water depletion and diminishes as you look at diets over an extended period of time.. And all the rest come with any highly nutrient dense diet.
  • Marieschneider026
    Marieschneider026 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second day keto!! Going good so far :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Unless it's medically recommended (diabetes, PCOS) just another fad
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Whether it's realistic long term would vary by individual. Realistic long term for me? No. For @nvmomketo it seems to be though.

It has it's place for medical conditions, that's for sure, but it is a fad diet in the overall scheme of things.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think its a "fad" diet unless you go on the diet knowing full well you can't stay on it long term. Then it becomes "your" fad diet. Does that make sense?

Agree with Hornsby it needs to be something you can stay on long term, meaning a way of eating.
  • gannmelissa
    gannmelissa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this was very helpful. I'm afraid for me, it would not be sustainable long term. I love my bread, rice, potatoes too much. I guess I should focus on at least breaking my carb addiction and focusing on higher glycemic nutrient dense carbs. That would be a good start and probably help with my weight loss as much as anything. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks guys, this was very helpful. I'm afraid for me, it would not be sustainable long term. I love my bread, rice, potatoes too much. I guess I should focus on at least breaking my carb addiction and focusing on higher glycemic nutrient dense carbs. That would be a good start and probably help with my weight loss as much as anything. :)

If those items fill you up and keep you on track, then you should incorporate them frequently. I eat bread daily, try to get potatoes several times a week and rice occasionally.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The Keto diet is super trendy right now, I have a few friends who do it. It's not for me but I know a few people who have had great success eating that way. The only restriction I want on my diet is the calories I can consume.

If you do Keto don't fall prey to buying Pruvit...you DON'T need to to use that crap to put yourself into ketosis!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Are you adverse to trying straight calorie counting? Seems to work for a whole lot of people on here, myself included. Eat what you like, with an eye on how many calories something has. Restrict or eliminate those foods you decide are not worth the calorie count (for me it was pop that I eliminated) and make the rest fit into your day/week (for me this is potato chips). And I know I can maintain this type of eating well past the time I hit my goal weight.
  • gen39
    gen39 Posts: 36 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I did keto for 3 months. Then reintroduced carbs. My rate of fat loss was the same, obviously there was the initial weight spike in water weight / glycogen.

Lyle Mcdonald, the author of The Ketogenic Diet, even says Keto has no inherent advantage for fat loss. However, if you are insulin resistant, you will probably fare better with lower carb diets with higher % of calories coming from fat.

If keto lets you sustain a larger calorie deficit, then yes, it would be good to try out. It can also teach people to avoid giving in to sugar cravings, which is probably the most useful aspect. If you do weight training, your energy levels will plummet until your body gets 'fat adapted', which can take some weeks.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    My experience is that it takes much more planning and awareness than other approaches - and people considering keto often are looking for a quick fix. I have however got to the lowest weight I've been in 30 years, and kept that weight off for several months while taking a break from extreme keto [my trainer suggested that I do that to let my body reach a new set point]. I still need to lose maybe another 40 lbs.

I think that keto may not be an appropriate solution for all people and its become a bit of a fad diet.
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried it? Is it healthy? Is it realistic long term or a just another fad diet? Pros and cons? Go to Resources?

It's subjective, like any other lifestyle. Research well and from reputable sources. Nothing is a "quick fix" so if that is the reason behind trying Keto, then you would not be invested for the right reasons. I know people who do well on this type of lifestyle, just like I know people who do well on others.

• gannmelissa
    gannmelissa Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Are you adverse to trying straight calorie counting? Seems to work for a whole lot of people on here, myself included. Eat what you like, with an eye on how many calories something has. Restrict or eliminate those foods you decide are not worth the calorie count (for me it was pop that I eliminated) and make the rest fit into your day/week (for me this is potato chips). And I know I can maintain this type of eating well past the time I hit my goal weight.

I already do this by tracking everything here on MFP. I aim to stay at about 40% carbs, 25% fats and 35% protein. I find when I cut out the excess sugar I crave carbs less, but if I fall off the wagon even slightly, the cravings come back with a vengeance. I LOVE ❤️ sweets and most of the veggies I like are the starchy ones too, unfortunately.
  • nicholerohrer
    nicholerohrer Posts: 40 Member
    Options