Mcmuffins - okay macros, all day availability

Cheap foods you make/buy
    Eggs
    English muffins
    Tuna
    Large bags of frozen vegetables
    Beans
    Rice

Shop the sales of stores that price match for meats. Try buying in bulk and freezing if that's an option.

Also I know you got pissy at the beginning of the post but you were getting genuinely good advice. Don't ignore the message, it was a good one
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Another hint for meat. Some stores mark down the packages that are on their sell by date. Those can be used right away or frozen when you get home.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Someone gave the tip for making a list before you go shopping ... and I want to add to that .... The Sunday paper usually has a flier in it from at least one area grocery store. (For me, it's 2 grocery stores, plus Aldi. Sometimes Walmart, and often Target). I look through the ads to find the sale items for my protein and produce ... then I make up my menus based on what's for sale. The sales usually run from Sunday through Saturday ... I usually shop toward the end of the week so that I have time to think of the recipes/menus I want to make, and use up what is already on hand. ...

And, as others have suggested, if you can, cook from scratch. I even save my vegetables peelings to make a vegetable broth/stock, to use for sauces and cooking rice instead of cooking in plain water. Just wash the vegetables well before peeling. Put them in the freezer if you don't have enough at one time. Then when you do, just place them into a saucepot, cover them with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for at least 30 minutes for the vegetables to give up their nutrients and flavor and then strain the solids away. Put the broth into a mason jar (even recycles jars from spaghetti sauce or pickles will do) and refrigerate. Use within the week.

You can also use chicken bones to make chicken broth ... even if you are saving them from a rotisserie chicken or one you roasted yourself. Just bake them on a tray for about 30 minutes and then simmer them in boiled water for about 1 hour. You can add your vegetable peelings to the pot to get a more robust broth. Then, when done, strain away the broth and bottle it up for use within the week.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Also not sure if you have the Flipp app where you're located but I use it and take it to a price matching store and it saves me at least 10$ a trip!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    dolthack wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've been on here - fell off the wagon. As to your original question about how to spend the $50....it's amazing how people can take your original post so FAR off topic isn't it? Where I live my grocery store carries frozen broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, etc. in 12oz bags for $0.99 each, one bag is pretty filling on it's own, but split up and added with a quality inexpensive protein source it goes all day.

Eggs are the least expensive form of protein you can find at your store, gram for gram. The average 21gram of protein serving of 90/10 ground beef is $0.75. Three large eggs is roughly 21grams of protein, cost roughly $0.25 When you're on that tight of a budget you can't afford to shop for ethical eggs that cost 3-5 times as much so ignore anyone who berates you for buying the cheap factory farm eggs - buy the better ones when/if you can afford them if your conscience gets the better of you.

Another poster mentioned beans. Great source of protein, nutrients, and slowly metabolized carbs. On the topic of carbs, you should absolutely cut out all refined forms - flour, sugar, white rice. Don't fear the potato. You can drastically lower the speed at which the carbs are metabolized by cooking them the day before you plan to eat them....it converts the starch to a more resistant form that doesn't spike your blood sugar....and potatoes are cheap.

I think you'll find that $50 can go a long way and still not be boring. And don't buy those flavored waters, that's a HUGE waste of money. Water is free, a bottle of generic lemon juice is enough to flavor at least 100 glasses of water.

you dont have to cut out flour,sugar or white rice unless you want to or have a health issue. all foods spike blood sugar,its how insulin works even in healthy people,if you have a health issue then of course you have to watch your blood sugar and insulin
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Dieting is generally cheaper. Buy what you used to, just less of it.

I don't eat much as it is though

You haven't gained weight by 'not eating much'?

I never said I eat healthy at all but I don't eat much. I eat twice a day. Sometimes 3 if I have time. And metabolism has a lot to do with my weight because I have skinny friends who eat 5x more than I eat and don't gain a pound

Sorry, but no. Eating 'healthy' doesn't make you lose weight. A calorie deficit does.

Google the twinkie diet if you like...

You have skinny friends who you think eat loads but in actual fact they're probably more active than you or eat a lot less when you don't see them...

Lol. You can think what you'd like. I know what I put in my body, you dont. Get off my discussion if you're going to be rude to me and try to make me feel stupid. I've been fat since 3rd grade. Im not stupid

I haven't been rude to you, just trying to help actually.

You're not stupid, but you're obviously misinformed.

Good luck.

Just doesn't make sense because I eat less calories a day then I'm "supposed to' and I'm still fat? Doesn't make sense

I struggled with the idea that eating less should mean we lose weight, too. However, I learned through trial and error, AND the help of these boards, that often, if we eat TOO little, we can and will gain weight. The body needs calories to burn in order to run efficiently. If we aren't giving it the calories we need, it uses some, and stores some in case we eat even less. Your metabolism slows to a screeching halt in order to conserve energy, and you GAIN fat. Yeah, I misunderstood it, too. I tanked my metabolism to a standstill because I got down to eating ONE meal a day, with a couple snacks in order to try to lose weight. It doesn't work.

To lose weight you HAVE to eat your calories. Set yourself up answering the questions honestly on MFP profile. You do NOT have to restrict what foods you eat. You do not have to go on a no carb, no fat, no taste, cardboard diet, forcing yourself to eat what you don't like, despite what the TV would lead you to believe. What you DO have to do, is eat your calorie allotment. Also, eat back approximately 1/2 of what you've exercised off. Do weigh your food if you can, if not, measure according to portion sizes as your packages say. Do not try to go 200 calories less than what MFP says you should. It wont be enough. They have already deducted from the total calories, in order for you to lose weight. Do log exercise. Eat back about half of the calories you lost.

I've been doing this for less than 3 months and have lost 20 pounds by sticking to the rules. When I tried going less calories, I stopped losing, got fatigued, and didnt' know what was wrong. These forums helped me understand, and I tried it. I started dropping the pounds again, so yes, it works.

As for your friends who eat tons... yep. Their bodies are use to having plenty so it revs up the metabolism to burn it off. Yours is use to little, so it slows it down to conserve. Been there for half my life.... but I'm dropping it now! These ppl aren't leading you wrong.
  • ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Porridge (oatmeal) is v cheap and nutritious, eggs ditto, rice, curry (u can make a batch and reheat), pasta and sauce also. Tuna pasta with mayo and sweetcorn (this was a college staple), fish fingers and beans (also v cheap). Just a few to try if you're not a massive fan of veg. Keep portions low - weigh everything.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    I buy the 3 lbs container of jennie o 93% lean ground turkey from walmart for almost $9, makes a lot of patties, depending on how many oz you make them & I make a kind of stew with bunch of veggies added. I saute onions, garlic & add what ever veggies I have, ground turkey & seasonings, a pot can last us about 3 days & we usually have something else for lunch. I like the canned chicken breast, about $1 a can here. Red potatoes are good. I buy the cheap bread because it's less calories & I always use one piece for a sandwich, eggs, beans, chicken, pork, what evers on sale
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    forgot to add that where we live, the 99cent stores carry produce.
  • pearl_089
    pearl_089 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In terms of a grocery list: pasta, potatoes, beans, and rice are really great and inexpensive staples to many meals that will pair with almost anything while helping you feel full. I would also suggest using some veggies such as broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers more frequently as they are healthy and also cheaper than meat. If you are still looking for variation, cans of tuna, tofu, and rotisserie chicken are inexpensive and versatile options. Best of luck!

pearl_089
    Check out more healthy recipes and lifestyle tips at the Alcat Test Blog
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Also, bananas, apples, onions, cabbage, carrots, jarred tomatoes, yogurt, cottage cheese.
    Frozen fruits and veggies are great too.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JeanieWww wrote: »
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Dieting is generally cheaper. Buy what you used to, just less of it.

I don't eat much as it is though

You haven't gained weight by 'not eating much'?

I never said I eat healthy at all but I don't eat much. I eat twice a day. Sometimes 3 if I have time. And metabolism has a lot to do with my weight because I have skinny friends who eat 5x more than I eat and don't gain a pound

Sorry, but no. Eating 'healthy' doesn't make you lose weight. A calorie deficit does.

Google the twinkie diet if you like...

You have skinny friends who you think eat loads but in actual fact they're probably more active than you or eat a lot less when you don't see them...

Lol. You can think what you'd like. I know what I put in my body, you dont. Get off my discussion if you're going to be rude to me and try to make me feel stupid. I've been fat since 3rd grade. Im not stupid

I haven't been rude to you, just trying to help actually.

You're not stupid, but you're obviously misinformed.

Good luck.

Just doesn't make sense because I eat less calories a day then I'm "supposed to' and I'm still fat? Doesn't make sense

I struggled with the idea that eating less should mean we lose weight, too. However, I learned through trial and error, AND the help of these boards, that often, if we eat TOO little, we can and will gain weight. The body needs calories to burn in order to run efficiently. If we aren't giving it the calories we need, it uses some, and stores some in case we eat even less. Your metabolism slows to a screeching halt in order to conserve energy, and you GAIN fat. Yeah, I misunderstood it, too. I tanked my metabolism to a standstill because I got down to eating ONE meal a day, with a couple snacks in order to try to lose weight. It doesn't work.

To lose weight you HAVE to eat your calories. Set yourself up answering the questions honestly on MFP profile. You do NOT have to restrict what foods you eat. You do not have to go on a no carb, no fat, no taste, cardboard diet, forcing yourself to eat what you don't like, despite what the TV would lead you to believe. What you DO have to do, is eat your calorie allotment. Also, eat back approximately 1/2 of what you've exercised off. Do weigh your food if you can, if not, measure according to portion sizes as your packages say. Do not try to go 200 calories less than what MFP says you should. It wont be enough. They have already deducted from the total calories, in order for you to lose weight. Do log exercise. Eat back about half of the calories you lost.

I've been doing this for less than 3 months and have lost 20 pounds by sticking to the rules. When I tried going less calories, I stopped losing, got fatigued, and didnt' know what was wrong. These forums helped me understand, and I tried it. I started dropping the pounds again, so yes, it works.

As for your friends who eat tons... yep. Their bodies are use to having plenty so it revs up the metabolism to burn it off. Yours is use to little, so it slows it down to conserve. Been there for half my life.... but I'm dropping it now! These ppl aren't leading you wrong.

The first and last paragraphs are incorrect: your body doesn't gain weight if eating in a calorie deficit and I'd be hard pressed to think you learned that on these boards. And people don't rev up their metabolism...

But some good stuff in the middle!
    Not said but I think when people say that they imply under-eating leads to binge eating, which leads to no weight loss.
  • Momoyafah
    Momoyafah Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book Good and Cheap which is available for free as a PDF online. She has put together healthful, real meals at less than $5 a meal. Alot of it has to do with shopping smart and prep which she provides helpdul tips on both
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Another hint for meat. Some stores mark down the packages that are on their sell by date. Those can be used right away or frozen when you get home.

I almost exclusively buy these! I only have 1 store within about 30 miles, so options are limited, but the 'Manager's Special meat is 30% two or three days before 'sell by and 50% the day before/day of. Total steal to put in the freezer when I get home!
  • MizMandy1984
    MizMandy1984 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ayyy, walmart can help. Tuna goes on sale quite a bit there, I buy their tuna/salmon creations for $1 each. That's a sandwich/wrap worth of meat. Low in calories, high in protein. And it has a decent shelf life.

Chicken in bulk, buy freezer bags!!!

Freezer bags are your friend.

Aldis has CHEAP food. I buy staples there.
  • AlanM872
    AlanM872 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I keep my food simple, eat like a savage animal (basically).

My list:
    Apple cider vinegar, raw ginger, cinnamon, Kale, broccoli, meat (that's up to you, personally I love chicken feet it's cheap & easy, 2$ a pound can feed you 3 times in 1 day), eggs, octopus/squid, peanut butter/unsalted nuts & Dark chocolate 80% and up. That's pretty much it, I change it up all the time & YouTube different ways to cook them but that's all I buy. Very small affordable list, just do your homework when creating your menu for the week.

I space out my meals with a proper proportions (plan ahead), I do light work outs daily.
    I don't like eating kale so I just blend it with water and cinnamon (2-4 leafs a day) just to get my fiber and vitamins. When I do eat broccoli (one head for a single day) I have to eat it with meat. I snack on peanuts unsalted 1/4 cup at a time in a bag sometimes I add dark chocolate just 1 serving. The meat I buy in bulk, seasoned and frozen already divided for the week, I buy from a local chicken farm & a community Vegan shop near my house (support local farmers!) along with my veggies and eggs. All I drink is water, Ginger tea straight & sometimes if I crave soda, seltzer water.

I average 1500 - 3000 calories a day, I only use protein powder with a combination of amazing chocolate grass (amazon sells it, I suggest you check it out) for intense work out sessions for example 40+ mile bike rides, Intense activities just make a shake & stretch it out with sips of water. Use your my fitness pal app to figure which supplements you'll need to meet your vitamin goals for example Multivitamins, fish oil, etc.

If I go to a restaurant for social gatherings I could only the following: buffalo wings (non breaded), salad no dressing, Burger with lettuce bun (no bread), Sautéed calamari, & I don't touch alcohol unless it's used in a cooking recipe.

It's not easy, but I've become accustomed to it. I use a food scale, blender, rice cooker for boiling meat in water with ginger and spicy stuff, and a toaster oven for baking small portions.
  • MeginBliss
    MeginBliss Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually budget $100/person/month. We are doing $200 a month for the two of us right now, in a fairly expensive city.

My biggest tips are stocking up on frozen fruits and vegetables when on sale or buy cheap fresh and freezing on your own for when produce is really expensive. I just learned avocados freeze really well! Make your own broths and stocks by saving your vegetable scraps (or meat bones, if you eat meat) in the freezer and boiling them down every couple of months.

I plan each meal out once a week, then make a grocery list based on my plan. At the store if it's not on the list it doesn't go in the cart. I spend $70 every two weeks buying recipe basics and $30 the opposite week restocking fresh fruits, vegetables, bread, almond milk. Once every 6 months to a year I make a big trip to Sam's Club or Costco to restock pantry basics like spices, pasta sauce, flour, brown rice, etc.

Dry beans and lentils are super cheap, I make a batch every weekend in the crockpot instead of buying canned. Super easy and cheap. Soups are cheap, can be very healthy, and go a long way. I make a lot of them. Making your own sauces, spice mixes, salad dressings, helps cut the cost as well. Buy things like coffee and tea in bulk. Learn the canning process so you can make your own salsas and fermented foods.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    dolthack wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've been on here - fell off the wagon. As to your original question about how to spend the $50....it's amazing how people can take your original post so FAR off topic isn't it? Where I live my grocery store carries frozen broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, etc. in 12oz bags for $0.99 each, one bag is pretty filling on it's own, but split up and added with a quality inexpensive protein source it goes all day.

Eggs are the least expensive form of protein you can find at your store, gram for gram. The average 21gram of protein serving of 90/10 ground beef is $0.75. Three large eggs is roughly 21grams of protein, cost roughly $0.25 When you're on that tight of a budget you can't afford to shop for ethical eggs that cost 3-5 times as much so ignore anyone who berates you for buying the cheap factory farm eggs - buy the better ones when/if you can afford them if your conscience gets the better of you.

Another poster mentioned beans. Great source of protein, nutrients, and slowly metabolized carbs. On the topic of carbs, you should absolutely cut out all refined forms - flour, sugar, white rice. Don't fear the potato. You can drastically lower the speed at which the carbs are metabolized by cooking them the day before you plan to eat them....it converts the starch to a more resistant form that doesn't spike your blood sugar....and potatoes are cheap.

I think you'll find that $50 can go a long way and still not be boring. And don't buy those flavored waters, that's a HUGE waste of money. Water is free, a bottle of generic lemon juice is enough to flavor at least 100 glasses of water.

Best answer yet ! Appriciate it

Good answer except for a couple parts.

The elimination part.....don't eliminate flour, sugar, white rice. There was an all white food is bad fad awhile back. Elimination diets teach you portion control for diet food. If you don't plan on forever elimination.....don't do it to lose weight. Learn portion control for EVERYTHING.

Rice doesn't make people fat.....Japanese, Chinese, Indian rice is a large part of their diets. People are fat because of CALORIES.

Flour doesn't make people fat.....Italians eat pasta, yet most are not fat. People are fat because of CALORIES.

Sugar ..... I assume he meant "added sugar" because if you eat fruit, grains or dairy......you eat sugar. But again it's calories. I know thin people who eat (gasp!) candy!

The cooking a day ahead and metabolization speed. Skeptical......besides I'm not diabetic, my pancreas works just fine.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    canned and frozen foods! rice, beans, frozen fruit, vegetables. there are usually sales too.